View Full Version : Photographers..

afterhours
10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
can anybody tell me why in the world photographers charge so much $$$ for a wedding? do these guys make like $600 hr? i'm looking for one and am horrified!!!:confused:

tynan19
10-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Get used to it. Having just got married over the summer I know. Expect to pay at least 2,000. When everything is done with. Then the freakin dress you where once and the cake you don't even get a chance to eat. Then the freakin DJ.. And on and on.

Well worth it though when it is all done.:D

jim24
10-30-2004, 12:00 PM
:smash: really.....get used to it...it's only the beginning of the "paying"

Got Stripers
10-30-2004, 12:59 PM
If you want to save money, don't get married:).

KLMulder
10-30-2004, 01:11 PM
these are some word's of advice an old horse shoer gave me one day.

"Marriage is a wonderful institution and a great commitment.
So if you want to be committed and live in an institution go right ahead." Cappy Caplin

MAC
10-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Photographers know they "have you by the short ones" If you just have a friend take the pics and they come out terrible you will listn to it for as long as you are married. If you and your significant other want pictures , pay the professional. Remember he (or she) is a professional and that is how they make their living. The cake, dress,food etc is a one time thing. The pictures can be looked at for years to come. Of course that could be good or bad.:D

Mike P
10-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Get references on the guy before you hire anyone.

For my first wedding, I went on the cheap to save a couple hundred bucks. The photog got drunk and spent most of the reception dancing with and trying to pick up every single female guest :af:

The Dad Fisherman
11-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Here's one for you, When You shell out $2000 for the dress, that she'll only wear once, and she says its worth it Because our daughter can wear for her wedding.

Ask Her why she isn't wearing HER mothers then.

just remember, your ear is the one she is going to be sitting next to for the rest of your life, so suck it up and pay the dough

afterhours
11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
ok, ok, i hear you guys:( :( :( , thanks for the input. but i still don't understand it, $600-700 hr. maybe i'm in the wrong business??

tynan19
11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
There is no way that their supplies and time cost that much money. But if you think about it a DJ cost around a 1,000 to 1500 also. The wedding industry is huge and they all work together to keep their prices up. But like I said seeing my wife's face during our first dance was truly amazing.

Afterhours if possible get a photographer that post the pictures on the web after the wedding. It is much easier for family to view and to purchase wedding pictures.

tynan19
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Here is a link to my Photographers web page. The money was well spent because she did a great job and we got a great online album.

http://weddingprints.com/mainnew/wedding.cfm?wid=18233&CFID=698649&CFTOKEN=29150809

likwid
11-02-2004, 11:16 AM
When pro level camera bodies start at $1000 a pop and pro level lenses start at $200 up to $10,000, yes the cost is justified.

cheferson
11-02-2004, 11:31 AM
They do get ya for weddings at every turn. Ive seen and tasted horrible wedding cakes that people are paying $500+ for every weekend. Shoot we charge $20 dollars for a kiddy meal( 3 chicken fingers and fries) at the banquet hall i work at.

jugstah
11-02-2004, 11:45 AM
I went to a wedding one time, and at every table, tehre was like 5 disposable cameras and a note asking us to take pictures of everything that goes on, and to leave them afterwards for the Bridge and Groom to develop.

After seeing them I wish I did that at my own wedding. There were some awesome pictures.

spence
11-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by cheferson
They do get ya for weddings at every turn. Ive seen and tasted horrible wedding cakes that people are paying $500+ for every weekend. Shoot we charge $20 dollars for a kiddy meal( 3 chicken fingers and fries) at the banquet hall i work at.
Hey Chef, if you've ever seen the young, attractive blond minister performing weddings out there...that's my wife :eek:

-spence

cheferson
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Dont recall seeing her, ussally when the ceremony is going on im running around getting stuff ready.

spence
11-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I can believe it...the wedding parties seem to be quite large on average...

-spence

cheferson
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Biggest was 800 havard grads in the spring, i only have to do the banquet lovin in the spring and winter, thank god, durring the summer i work in the outdoor kitchen with a sweet view of the lower bay

spence
11-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Eaten there many times...I hope you didn't spit in my food :smash:

A good friend works in the sales office there as well.

-spence

cheferson
11-02-2004, 12:27 PM
I may have dropped it a few times, just kiddin. Fav was the prime sirloin,mmmm

Clammer
11-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Its not always ==you get what you pay for ///// one on my many things is outdoor photography //// I choose not to do weddings // people pleasing // what after being constantly asked to do them & also seeing what horrible photos couples were getting from some people & the price they were being charged[[[screwed]]] before they were even married // I started doing them =========
I have a album they so they can see the quality of my work ,& also give them a referral list with phone numbers ///

I charged a flat fee plus expenses //which I didn,t jack up // & I provided them with all my receipts //even thru I never saw anyone check them////

I also provided a wedding day /// not a set time limit , 4,6, 8, hours , I always started where ever the bride was getting dressed & stayed til the end {{most times }}
when I got tired of doing weddings // mostly because they almost always interferred with my fishing & real estate business/// but also because some people [[just have to use & abuse you////
I charged $350.00 & I took $25 off if it was a referral ===== & sent the referral a G/C *************8

Crafty Angler no offense ,Bud you have that high end going /////
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool:

afterhours
11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
wish i could find photog like clammer.