View Full Version : absense of larger fish this fall

Striperhound
10-30-2004, 08:01 PM
The coast has been a parade of twinkies as of late, had half a dozen good eels this evening chomped in half, darn bluefish. November 1st on Monday and a noticeable lack of larger fish. Water is still warm what gives is the best yet to come with this late fall?

Surfpirate
10-30-2004, 08:58 PM
I hope the best is yet to come.

I was out last night catching 20 inch bass, on swimmers.
I couldn't believe it was the end of October!!!

cheferson
10-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Been getting fish 35"+ after work lately while waiting for a ride

CANAL RAT
10-30-2004, 09:50 PM
there are some big fish still up north they are heading this way for sure the end of oct has spotty big fish always. and theres always next year

Striperhound
10-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Last night did feel like June instead of October, man this year has been strange. Im hoping the best is still to come.

CowHunter
10-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Theres alot of big fish in the deeper waters, just gotta hope you get a shot of Big Fish on the shoreline. Hit spots that have produced big fish in the past and work em on different tide stages. This time of year the fish are more spotty, but when you do hit em you can hit a good shot of fish. You can hit the same spots more than a few times in a night now on different stages, dont just give up because the fish arent there on a given tide. They are on the move, if you can find bait, the better your chances cause the fish can show and hold there.

NIB
10-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Surf Fishing is abismal right now in NJ. Ten days of NE 10-20's have squashed a fishery that was building nicely.there was mullet. A run I think was the best in yrs.Peanuts .The backs an fronts where loaded some places choked with bait.An all the usuall critters that hold fish.Then came the wind. Now 2-3 days of NE is sometimes welcomed but 10- 12 days has made surf fishing very tough.In the club surf tournament this weekend there where 14 fish toat weighed in .That number is unbelievable. 7 clubs with aprox.1000 combined members.In what I would consider great conditions light rain mist fog moon currents.U dream of conditions like these in the dead winter months>Add to that it is pretty much prime fall run time.I think like CH says the fish moved with the bait to off shore waters.....It finally came around west today Plus there was a very interesting little critter makin a appperance here this week could make it very interesting.I don't like to buy into the Montauk to Cape May pipeline but it don't look good the last 2 weeks.........Now I had some nice fish. I had quite a few 19 lbers but i was not able to break the twenty mark yet thats kinda strange also.but i think that is just circumstance.Before the fish moved out though.I did seem to me like there where fewer large fish getting caught.but that was a little early.

PurpelNoon
10-31-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm glad to hear you guys are still catching fish up there. It is dismal here in NY and its got me wondering whether things started yet or they are over. I wonder when they will make the move south! :)

cheferson
11-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Your fish are all still up here NIB:D :D :D :D :happy: . Still a lotta trees with leaves and many green ones at that in my area. I caught fish last year till the trees had no leaves, and i didnt really know much or fish that hard last year.