View Full Version : Live-lining shad

t.orlando
11-03-2004, 01:30 PM
From shore. Curious as to the best hook set-up and placement.

tlapinski
11-03-2004, 02:01 PM
from a beach or breachway?

t.orlando
11-03-2004, 02:18 PM
B-Way, but would not mind hearring about both. Thanks Toby

tlapinski
11-03-2004, 02:33 PM
when i have live lined from a b'way, i use a big single hook through the shad's nose during the slow tidal stages and through its dorsal fin area when it is moving. if you use a big shad you may need to spike the rod and throw it out by hand. i like to break the shad's tail, too. on the take, i give it a little time to get eaten then set up hard. i never let them run too far as the shad goes in head first so the hook in the front half of the shad should be in the bass's mouth pretty quick. also, it may seem kind of obvious, but i would avoid livelining in a busy rotation. the shad will not get out there as fast as plugs/eels and will likely cause a mess of tangled lines.

i have not tried livelining them from a beach, only chunking, but i would imagine it to be similar.

i know a lot of guys use treble hooks with good success, too. i shy away from that out of fear of throat hooking the bass. i would guess if you set fast enough it wouldn't be a problem. i hope that helps you guys down there.

CANAL RAT
11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
i use a big circle hook with a 2ft 80lb floro leader attached to a 130lb sampo swivel if the currents running strong use a rubbercore sinker a few feet ahead of the swivel. you can hook them behind the dorsal or through the nose. dont cast the shad out throw them out by hand and let them swim a goodways off the beach or jettie. i like a very big stout rod and a baitrunner type reel for live lineing