View Full Version : i just had an epiphany

Nebe
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM
well, i had some... um, nervous energy today after the election so after i raked the yard, cleanded the gutters and kicked the cat I decided to tie up some leaders for future battles. Now before today I would stuff a spool of flouro in my plugbag and tie on the fly so to speak. I just tied up about 30 leaders and i came to the conclusion that i was not clinching my knots tight enough before today, and this is why i have lost some nice fish this season. (i've lost 3 moose bass due to knot failure this year alone) what i did today was something Goosefish had recomended i try and that was to bang a small nail into a countertop and slip the swivel or the snap over this nail and pull with all my weight to really clinch the knots down tight....

Obviously this isnt rocket science, but when your on a rock in the middle of the night, its hard to tie a perfect knot.. and clinching it down by hand strength alone just doesnt cut the butter IMO...

Anyway, i thought i wouls share my learning curve with anyone who wants to listen-:D

spence
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Eben, I've fished with you all this fall and I've yet to actually see you hook up with a fish. I don't think you're problem is knot strength :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :devil:

-spence

reelecstasy
11-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I hear ya, I had an old salt teach me the same way, big phat nail and throw a bunch of swivels on it and tie away, then I use the handle of my pliers for leverage on the hook, makes a shweeet knot. There is no way you can cinch down a 50# mono on a swivel let alone on a hook by hand in the middle of the night and get all the "slide" outta it...I make up a bunch ahead of time in the garage while I am waiting for the fiancee to fall asleep so i can go roam the night...

Nebe
11-03-2004, 04:38 PM
:smash:

Tlapinski could say the same thing :smash:

I catch more when i'm alone for some reason, i guess when theres people around I loose my concentration.

reelecstasy
11-03-2004, 04:40 PM
:rollem: :D

Crafty Angler
11-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I usually have at least a 1/2 dozen pre-tied leaders with snaps in my surfbag - all of which I tie in the tackle bunker which has a large screw driven into the counter top to snug up my knots. I also use a set of needlenose to tighten the tag end, too -

If I've 'burned' the flouro or mono by not moistening the line enough, I'll cut that section and retie the leader.

I've also found that I like Varivas 50# better than Sea-Guar for leader material - it seems to snug up a little better.

Yup, a little prevention... etc etc etc

spence
11-03-2004, 04:47 PM
I use a little pointed tool to hold the swivel or hook while I cinch down the knot when I tie my leaders. If I'm tying direct to the plug I use a San Diego Jam Knot. Really easy to tie in heavy mono and strong as sheet.

-spence

cheferson
11-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Make sure ya spit on the knots before ya tighten em. Ive been using a leader wallet, can cram like 20 leaders in it, also has two side pouches for extra hooks/swivels or tins. Paid like 10 bucks for it

CANAL RAT
11-03-2004, 06:08 PM
when i tie my knots i always put some spit on the knot before tighting it i also put a dab of superglue or zap-a-gap on when its tight

t.orlando
11-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Do the same here Eben. Got a 2x4 with nails in my spare bedroom/fishing junk room. Also take a few wraps around a gloved hand with leader and pull tag end with pliers. Keep 2 small leader wallets with me, and a master one in vehicle. You can never have too many.PS... the nail really helps with teasers.

Joe
11-03-2004, 08:19 PM
bang a small nail into a countertop and slip the swivel or the snap over this nail and pull with all my weight to really clinch the knots down tight
All YOUR weight?
What's worse losing a few nice fish or having your counter-tops ripped off the walls?

Seriously, I remember Iron Mike telling me that he re-tied all the knots and replaced his leader every half hour or so depending on how heavy a lure/eel he was throwing.
Runing line to swivel, and both leader knots.
Knot strength degrades from the stress of casting....

Roseneath
11-03-2004, 08:44 PM
What do your pre-made leaders consist of? Swivel, leader-material and quick snaps?

I usually carry a few pre-made teasers (a redgill, 14 inches of 22 lb momo with a gamakatsu 2/0), but I tend to tie the leaders, as needed.

Nebe
11-03-2004, 08:52 PM
reelecstasy--

my response to you above was directed at Spence..

yeah, I feel really stupid about loosing 3 quality bass due to my own error. It woudl be one thing if I lost a nice fish because of a rock or some act of nature beyond my control.. Plus there are 3 bass swimming around with pikies danging from their mouths:smash:

well lesson learned, and its the end of the season... hopefully I can find a few more slobs before I hang up the gear.

NIB
11-03-2004, 09:49 PM
I feel naked if i don't have 10-15 leaders tied up in my bag from 30-65lb test. I just use a shimano ziplock the replacement ones the sell for the wraps.( they are heavier)..make good jig bags to stuff in the surf bag also an fill it with leaders in little ziplocks I constantly retie.That article wit Iron Mike Joe did has some excellent advice.I hate to worry bout line or knots with a good fish.And i don't.An fishin time goes to fast to sit there in the dark an tie a whole leader.Once U tie a coupla thousand leaders u get better at knots.I'm a palomar guy. all around with a little square hitch an a one inch tag on the one by the snap so the tag isn't a weed catch.U gotta help the loop of a palomar.to cinch it good without damagin the line.

ThrowingTimber
11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
rocket science you say?

piemma
11-04-2004, 08:30 AM
I always have a few leaders pre-tied in my surf bag. I usually fish a teaster and use a dropper loop so I must tie them before hand. Just no way you can tie the dropper loop out and about.

I know that the next remark is a point of contention with a lot of guys but I ALWAYS tie directly to the plug. I have a snap tied to my working line and a Rosco swivel (150#) on the end of my leaded. I know, I know pain in the A$$ changing plugs but I just have a thing about a snap on my plug or eel hook. I feel like I get better action tying direct. Whatever you believe in, you tend to trust.

jbapinoy
11-04-2004, 10:39 AM
what's the difference in using a snap-on and without on a plug?

piemma
11-04-2004, 12:25 PM
I just don't like the extra hardware. my preference...doesn't make it the right thing to do...but it works for me. I feel that I get better action and one less thing to go wrong.

richs
11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Piemma,

Do you use a loop knot or pull it tight?

Also, how many turns on the dropper loop/ I've had mixed results with the dropper loop- keeps the teaser well clear, but a double of fish shreds it.

piemma
11-04-2004, 02:10 PM
3 turns one side, 4 turns the other side.then pulled tight. I have not had any problems and have used it for about 12 years. Bluefish will shred it though.

piemma
11-04-2004, 02:13 PM
The previous post was somewhat misleading. Of course you need to complete the dropper loop knot, which I didin't go into. There was a thread about a month ago where I explained how to tie it and someone else, more skilled than I, posted some pics on the proper way to tie it. Very difficult to explain in writing.