View Full Version : Need a world class fly guide for next summer

Edge Sportfish
11-05-2004, 05:41 PM
After reading Flaptails post about 20-30 # fish banging into your legs at Monomoy I need to know this. Who up there is considered the "Swami" for catching good sized Bass on fly. Whether it's a guide or just a local GURU, I need to hook up one of my A-List customers who is a world class fly fisherman and guy for that matter for next season. He would come up to fish for a few days and 20-25 lb. fish would freak him out. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions I'd sure appreciate the input. I take this guy Tarpon fishing about fifteen days in the Summer every year and just want him to get with someone tight. He's tried this before unsuccesfully...Thanks for any advice-
G.L.

Flaptail
11-05-2004, 05:56 PM
He needs to come up in the first weeks in July, and forget about flats boats gliding across the shallows he will have to get out and wade and wade and wade. Preferably the tide will be low incoming around 7 in the morning. I f he is a world class flyguy he will need to know and understand "Snell's Window" and how it plays a giant role in the outcome. I have a 14 foot aluminum skiff painted in drab khaki with an 18 horsepower Nissan. It's better than a Hell' Bay Flats boat because I can pull it up and no matter if it dries out two guys can drag back to water. There are people who use ladders to search for fish and swear by crab patterns etc., I use niether. I use and prefer an eight weight 9 ft. rod with an 8 wt wt. forward monocore and hand tapered leader with a ten pound fluorocarbon tippet. I have a size 1 clouser tied with angel hair that when dropped ahead off cruising fish and allowed to lay in the sand until half the pod is over it, just kills them as it blasts out like a frightened sand eel. If he wants to go in a 1969 14 ft skiff once owned by Frank Woolner and wade his ass off I CAN TAKE HIM BUT HE BUYS LUNCH!;)

Pete_G
11-05-2004, 07:09 PM
We had a lot of anglers hook up this year, but not many were ready to handle 30+ pounds on the fly rod. More then a few fish over 40 (maybe over 50) were lost on the fly. And a few were landed.

Not sure when your customer will be in the area, but if there's big fish around we can put you on them with a fly rod. It's something we specialize in. Our boats are set up for fly-fishing and light tackle. Usually to get the bigger fish we tease them up with big plugs and swap in a fly. It'll blow his mind to see a 40lber come up and try to destroy a Beachmaster Needle with no hooks on it and then to throw a fly in front of that fish. Obviously certain time frames during the season are better then others.

We're based in Newport, RI. Give us a call if you're interested or have any questions.

All our guides are great people as well, he'll definitely have a good time.

The bass at the bottom of this report was the most recent 40+ on the fly this year. :D

Saltwater Edge Fishing Report (http://www.saltwateredge.com/fishingreports/fishingreports2004.html)

Pete
The Saltwater Edge (www.saltwateredge.com)
(401) 842-0062

Clammer
11-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Flap =I,ll go, I,ll go === maybe I can learn real quick how to flyfish :D

:::
l
l
l
l
l
l
You,d love the grass shrimp fly I have :rolleyes:

Flaptail
11-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Call me in June Clammer. We will have a ball. I'll lead them with a sluggo and you thrw the feathers at 'em!:D

JohnR
11-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey Flap - I'm going the same day - I want you to see how well clammer works a sluggo

Flaptail
11-06-2004, 07:24 PM
OK John, you buy lunch then!

Clammer
11-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Whats a sluggo :confused: :confused: :confused: :laughs:

@#$% ya ain,t even seen me with a fly-rod ,I<ll have to borrow one from FWW :happy: :happy:

JohnR ,, I,d smoke them at the [dock] with the long-rod ,but you would only bitch /its someelse I didn,t show ya :laughs: :smash:

Clammer
11-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Flap,s got me all @#$%^& pumped up //we,ll get there & it will be a @#$%^^& TRAP ========MONSTER BLUES :af:

JohnR
11-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Clammer
========MONSTER BLUES :af: :laughs:

bassmaster
11-07-2004, 12:47 AM
them fish on the flats got 18 holes in there mouths:p

Flaptail
11-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Yeah! From 5/0 texposer hooks!!!!:D :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Last night bit the big one BM. Water at NP was wicked dirty.:D

fishweewee
11-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Clammer, I'd pay serious money to see you flycasting - on a day like this past Saturday. :laughs: :bshake:

mooncusser
11-08-2004, 10:23 AM
To answer your question, here are a few of the top flats/fly guides on the Cape. Any of these guys can get you a 30-pounder, but you'd best book early as they are usually booked-up well in advance.

Capt. Dan Marini: Chatham/Monomoy 508.432.9108

Capt. Jaime Boyle: Martha's Vineyard 508.922.179

Capt. Andrew Cummings: Wellfleet/P-town 617.733.1729

Capt. Steve Moore Bayside/southside 508.631.7506

Capt. Jim Ellis: Barnstable Harbor 508.962.7894

Flaptail
11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
The choice is yours. Pay them or just buy lunch and catch just as many. I returned your PM.:D

Flaptail
11-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, any one who says he can get you a 30 pounder is strecthing it a bit. For years I spent upwards of 30 days a year on those flats. I was fishing them before they became popular. I remember seeing the first flats boat out there in the early nineties. The biggest bass I ever landed there on the fly weighed 32 pounds, had five over 30 and a lot of twenties and dropped a couple I know would have gone forty but fish that big and 30 pounders are rare but there. The seals have kicked the #^&#^&#^&#^& out of that fishery eating every sand eel they can get thier mouths on. The absolute best fishing is done with a set of breathables on, a good pair of polarized ( amber) and a good fast shooting weight forward monocore line. You must be able to consistently bang out 70 to 90 feet of line and be as stealthy as you can.

If this method isn't appealing then hire an expensive guide to float you around and catch an occasional 40 incher. My way the angler is in control, thier way all you do is cast where he tells you. Not very rewarding. Come last two weeks of July and first two of August. The guides go outside in August and the bass feed in the false dawn in water that's 70 degrees on the flats. Size two and size one Clousers and Hi-ties. I don't do crab flies.

If the fishing sucks there I can take him to another spot where the nearest boat is a mile away and by his own count he will see thousands of bass in 3 feet of water. Will we see 30 pounders? Yes. Will we catch 30 pounders? God only knows but his hands and legs will be sore from wading and lipping caught fish. I enjoy the company if the person is a good knowledgable fly fisherman or light tackle guy.:D

Edge Sportfish
11-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot fellas. That ought to keep me busy for awhile. I really should be able to connect with at least a couple of those guys for next year.

Tight lines- George LaBonte

JohnR
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Flaptail
I enjoy the company if the person is a good knowledgable fly fisherman or light tackle guy.:D I'm not knowledgable and sure as hell aint light but I'll go with ya :tooth:

mooncusser
11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
George: I did not realize it was you inquiring. I read your book on billfishing about 7 or 8 years ago- enjoyed it and learned a bit too. Keep up the good work.

Clammer
11-08-2004, 09:47 PM
FWW serious money ===indoors ///

@#$% I ain,t light either //// but I love to catch schoolies on light //// BEn --need a f/f outfit // mine is a classic //knowing me I,ll bet it still has a fly on from 30+ years ago ====

I know a pond where we can fish for landlock stripers //not too far from here /// I never could get them to hit //smoked the breader [sp] trout thru // The Elite F/F where trying there best to get them with their top -on -the -line -gear ===all goody-goody===== I smoked them with big bass bugs ////
I caught a @#$%%^& monster one day ===& decided to keep it :smash: it was so big I couldn,t get it to keep still // so I could get out of there with it =====so I rammed a pitch-fork thru it / pinned to the ground ///
A little while later the owner comes out & kinda checking things out /The @#$%^& pitchfork is swaying back& forth Like a sailboat mast in a gale ///// the @#$%^ trout finally knocked the fork in the water /// & the owner saw it @#$%#$%
It was like on TV======= this guy chasing my a@@ down a dirt road =holding the pitch fork as I get in my car /flat out spinning everywhere to get the @#$% out of there ///

Chit I miss that place

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bassmaster
11-08-2004, 10:42 PM
clammer can You take Me blue fishing on the fly?
Befor You scream , I use to do it here on the flats, flap knows where and the blues would be nice and large to 15lb or so..
Flap would be in a narrow place and I would be round the corner.
The challenge would be when the blues would be finning on top all around You. A person I knew that we would meet each year there would fly fish out of a red canoe , He tyed a fly that was kind of like a whistler only with bunny fur. I would use all white Angus flys and poppers I Made along with some epoxy flys, but I liked the angus the most even though they would trash it. I used a T&T hs909s and a pen 10 wt rod also
```````````````
I would ude a p229 and a calcutta 400 most the time.
It was a challenge when they woud be finning.
( this is when I 1st made plugs ? poppers)
most the time we would pop them up to the fly when I was out in my boat for my buddy that would come down to fish.
what was cool was leaving the hole after I would blast through My herring on the incoming at sun up=Big bass and then go to there and catch these all day.
I have a squid plug I made they go nuts for ,its like a magnet and I toss a white danny with a pink stripe and it really pisses them of with the slow wake on top and the little pop from the danny. I would tune them to pop when ripped.
No work to catch them and You relaxed.
Pikes absolutely drive these things up a wall also....
Flap I remeber the flats and there was alot of guys out there.
I would take that 26' tank I owned in there and stand on the tower and shoot an 10wt mono core out there:D
Then book to the rips, that was when that break just happend I think and at low water You could see sand.....
Just death march Him to the 1st big rip past the grass beds
where the busted L house is and the birds live in the dunes.
The Cape is a wonderfull place and a never ending Study of fishing...................

Clammer
11-09-2004, 12:45 AM
@#$%^ B/M making sense /// too bad ya can,t get ya A@@ over the bridge ///then there would be some serious adventures /////

like you ////many years ago =we did alot of F/F in a couple of spots //thats the only way you could catch them ======& seeing it was a standard 16" limit we made money ///But one daybrake after a all night /wading f/f adventure/// the fisherman I was with ////descided he wanted all the state f/f records from shore at the time :::::::::: I think he had two ====== we we knew where the giant blues would be at sunup /uptight and personal ==so we drove to where he kept his boat ===and off we went ,in search of the record ==========if only video recorders where out at that time [[laptew ]] would have had serious comperition // but it would have been a comedy /////
seeing this nut in,,waders // running thru eels grass & bolders ///no sand trying to stop these toothed freight trains , only to brake off ,, & retie and the chase was on again , & again ,& again// I remember he finally got one or two to shore // I think he had the record ///
I was laughing so hard I got sick ///

driving home we were pumped up =we had done a number on the bass & he had his blue ///
of cause he wanted to stop & get it weighed /his brother owned a bait shop [[[3 of his brothers owned 3 different shops // when we got there [it was closed ==unusual for 9am in june/july ////
we went to the [Portuguese ]] sporting club & found his nephew =========
he was already @#$%^& up ==================================while we were out having a great time //someone hit his brother in the head with a hammer as he walked home that night /// and killed him
ya never know ////
:confused: ENJOY MY FRIENDS MIKE