View Full Version : How long will an eel last in a minnow bucket???

jbapinoy
11-06-2004, 02:30 AM
I'm planning to buy eels this afternoon on the baitshop near my place they usually close early now by 4pm. I'm planning to put it in my minnow bucket its a two bucket in one the small one inside has a lot of holes in it that flow outside the second bucket do i need to put water in it. Is it ok to let it stay on my porch or in the ref? I'm going fishing on Sunday 4 - 8am will it survive?

fishaholic18
11-06-2004, 06:39 AM
I'd put some kind of aerator in it, they should be fine.

Mr. Sandman
11-06-2004, 06:44 AM
yes, it is cool enough outside now where they will last.. Keep them in a dark cool place and rinse them off a couple times a day if you can and they will be ok. make sure the slime does not build up in there and you keep them cool. You could put a frozen water bottle in there.

cheferson
11-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Look in the faq , keep cool eel bucket

BigFish
11-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Till' they die!:smash: :D

*LB
11-06-2004, 09:30 AM
J- Don't bother putting any water in the bucket. Get some blue ice packs or any other type of contained ice and put it in your bucket along with wet rag. Make sure the bucket is ventilated and can drain any excess water or eel slime. Keep them outside or in the fridge and they'll last for at least 3 days. The ice packs will slow down their metabolism and make them easy to handle while hooking them. Use the wet rag to grip them. They spring back to life after they've had swim. Eels that aren't iced up prior to fishing can cause a lot of problems. Good luck.

BasicPatrick
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Make sur that your double bucket has room between the inside and the outer buckets...the idea is for the slime to drain ut of the inner one and into the bottom one...so I add a spacer under the inner one....

Minnow buckets are made to strain out the minnows and usually leave no room for the slime to run out and under