View Full Version : Atom Jr. inspired by Capesams

steelhead
11-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Loved the series of atoms, etc. that CS did. Got to reseal this guy. One of the ones that ended up with a tacky finish coat from this weekend. It's about 6" long with an NJT #2 Danny lip on it. Always wanted to try this paint scheme :-)

reelecstasy
11-09-2004, 09:51 AM
She's a beauty...I like the color scheme, nice work

Flaptail
11-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Nice! That color scheme can be found on some Gibbs oldies. You may want to try to space the screw eyes more evenly. The middle one might be better a 1/2 or so more to the tail. Keeps the hooks from hookin up with each other. That plug would make a killer skin plug! Keep up the good work!:D

capesams
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
:eek: nice to see my children havin offspring...on the next one either place the front hook just abit behind the eye and as flap say's the back hook back a tad...or just one hook about a inch back of the eye..;) your doing a fine job on those:uhuh:

Flaptail
11-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Counter sinking the screw eye works well too, just so about 1/3 of the eye is counter sunk. A well placed screw eye works just as well as thru wiring. When I use them I offset the angle rather than just go straight in so when the force of the pull is forward and the weight of the fish is creating resistance the eye, because of that angle is made more secure, really snugs in. The threads on a screw made out od stainless steel are fine so any help you can give it to gain purchase in the wood under stress helps. Also a dab of epoxy is a little insurance as well. Keep havin fun and experimenting!:D

Backbeach Jake
11-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Just when I think that I have enough designs to steal.... Thats a beauty!

Christian
11-09-2004, 06:54 PM
i bet they swim AWSOME with the screw eyes:D , not loosing wood to the through wire hole.

awsome stuff steelhead:D

Karl F
11-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Shape and Colr, Right On :kewl: :claps:
listen to the master for the hook placement :cool:

Keep them coming, you can't beat the classics!

Tagger
11-09-2004, 09:12 PM
that looks freakin yummy .. bet it swims great too ...nice pluggage

steelhead
11-10-2004, 07:16 PM
I've got to re-epoxy this guy, so I'm going to shift the screw eyes abck a bit before I re-coat. Thanks for all the input!!!! Working on a few more like it. More "old" paint schemes...

tlapinski
11-10-2004, 07:37 PM
i am not sure if you really need to move the eyes. that set up is very similar to the 6" goo goo. make one with the shifted eyes and test them against each other.

Diamond Tackle
11-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Nice work Steelhead.That is a nice paint scheme.
u might also want to experiment with a Lefty #2 on that body style . Just a thought. Im working on 2 larger Danny lips, heavier gauge stainless.

steelhead
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
TL, That's what I decided to do this evening as I was standing in front of the lathe... Tinman, I'm working on an order for more lips. I'll look at the Lefty #2 lip. Are the bigger lips more like what you see on the bigger Atoms, etc.? They seem to be broader, with a lip that's not so deep, without the flair of the big pikie lips.