View Full Version : Another favorite fish recipe

spence
11-09-2004, 10:33 AM
This is one of my all time favorite fish recipes now that it's getting colder and there's not as much striper for fish cakes :laughs:

This dish is really very simple. Use the best quality ingredients you can and if anyone uses frozen sword I'll personally hunt you down :af: If you don't know how to make a basic tomato sauce, buy some of the most expensive plain marinara you can find in a jar.

In a big oven proof skillet or shallow pot combine...

1-1/2 cups basic tomato sauce
2 tbsb extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup gaeta olives
1/4 cup rinsed salt packed capers (ok to use the regular ones, just rinse them)
1 tbsp red pepper flakes, or more ;)
2 tbsp pine nuts
1/4 cup currants (I use the dried ones, look by the raisins)
1 cup dry white wine

Bring to a boil and set aside over low or no heat.

Heat the oven to 450F

In a bowl combine...

1 cup bread crumbs (fresh if possible, or use good unseasoned ones)
1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
2 tbsb extra-virgin olive oil
Decent amount of salt and pepper

Then take a 1-1/2 pound (or more) hunk of fresh sword and cut into 8 long slices. I usually get a piece cut thick, so I can cut the slices against the grain of the fish. Lay the pieces flat and spread the bread crumbs over them. Roll up like a jelly roll and tie with some butcher's twine or a toothpick.

Put the fish into the pot and pop into the oven for 10-12 min. Don't overcook your precious fish.

If you wanna get fancy, garnish the fish rolls with a bit of breadcrumb and parsley on top.

This will impress the heck out of everyone :laughs:

-spence

zacs
11-09-2004, 11:58 AM
This dish will also work with sea scallops.

FYI, quality of sea scallops landing in NB is the best I have seen in 3+ years. THANK YOU NMFS for short trips to closed areas!!!!

-Zac