View Full Version : Japanese fishing website

tlapinski
11-10-2004, 07:55 AM
i was doing some searching for Saltiga info/mods. i came across an interesting Japanese site. some great pictures and reel mods in here.

http://www.plat.co.jp/english/english_top.htm

Surely Bassey
11-10-2004, 08:14 AM
I was also doing some an information search on the Diawa Saltiga. Looks like a really nice reel. Can't figure out why the medium size model weighs slightly less than the small size model. I have 2 Van Staals but I'm getting a little tired of the lack of automatic bail. Also the maintenence $$$ makes them not only expensive to aquire but expensive to keep.
Is there a place where I can actually hold a new Saltiga to feel what they are all about.
BTW looking at the pricing from the Japanese website; you can save a little money by purchasing Saltiga from mailorder in the USA...

JoeP
11-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Guys, I just gave this input on another website to a guy interested in the Saltigas. I have 2 and they are great reels.

I have a Saltiga 4500 and a Saltiga 4000. These are the same exact reels just with different size spools, that is why the 4500 weighs about .2 ounces less than the 4000, which more than balances out when you consider the 4500 holds more line. There is also a 4500GT which just has a higher gear ratioo. This goes for the 5000, 6000, and 6000GT which are the same reels with different sized spools (and the GT has a high gear ratio).

The 4500 is comparable in size/strength to a Stella 8000 and the 4000 to a Stella 6000.

The 4500 holds up to 250 yards of 50 LB power pro and the 4000 hold up to 210 yards of 50 LB power pro or over 250 yards of 30 LB power pro. The Saltiga 4500/4000 is plenty of reel for fishing the surf (the 5000, 6000, and 6000GT are very heavy and probably overkill).

If you do some research on these reels you will find that ALL models were originally designed as powerful offshore spinning reels for tuna, giant trevalley, yellowtail, etc.; all fish that need powerful reels with strong drags. The drag on the 4500/4000 is very strong and very smooth.

I sold 2 Van Staals last year that I used for a couple of seasons to buy these Saltigas, and I like the Saltigas much better.

I fished them in the surf all year and they are unbelieveable reels. While I don't swimfish or reel underwater, these reels did get the occasional dunk, splash, hit by waves, etc., and I have had zero problems. I rinse them with freshwater after evry trip. I fished these reels in the same conditions that caused my former Fin-nor Ahabs to freeze up due to corroded innards from dunkings by the end of each season.

Also, they cast great, and the strong manual bail avoids any problems with premature bail closures.

Finally, Daiwa America will service them for a small fee (I think $15) on an annual basis by sending the reels to them. Just call Daiwa and ask about the program.

If you PM me I will give a couple of US websites that you can but these reels on for around $600.

Any other questions just ask.

Surely Bassey
11-10-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info.
Is the bail automatic or do you have to manually close the thing?
I fished Outer Cape beaches last month and even though I only waded knee deep there were constant waves that would wash over my reel and load it with sand. My buddy almost had to stop fishin but the Van Staal just rinsed the sand out.
Will the Saltiga wash out the sand easily. The reel looks pretty well sealed. Could be hard for sand to get in <or out>.

fishweewee
11-10-2004, 09:22 AM
It's a manual bail. I had a chance to fondle one recently. Nice reel, handsome.

Wish they would make one comparable in size/dimension to a VS 250.

Pete_G
11-10-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm always amazed at the things that only get distributed overseas.

There's so many Shimanos and Daiwas out there that we never see.

As a gear whore, it makes me :drool:

Surely Bassey
11-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the world economy. I don't think there is any fishing reel that is offered overseas that you can't have delivered to your door thanks to the internet and Mastercard....

JPowers
11-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Re the Daiwa Saltiga:

I know damn well what's going to happen some dark stormy night. I'll be changing spools for one reason or another and
SPLAT ! I'm gonnna loose that ridiculously small drag knob. It'll fall in the rocks/weeds/sand/etc and I'll never find it.

So......., I'm getting a backup NOW ! ( or as soon as I can get the Japanese owner's manual translated so ordering is possible).

wader-dad
11-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I was looking at the Tica Taurus 6000 reel which seems to have a new model version that I saw on an Austrailia web site. Again other countries get stuff first? It has a new handle (no longer wood) and supposedly better coating. Anyone use this new version? Seems like a good reel for what should sell for around $200.

Pete_G
11-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Surely Bassey
Welcome to the world economy. I don't think there is any fishing reel that is offered overseas that you can't have delivered to your door thanks to the internet and Mastercard....

Yeah, I just like to see something that costs $500 before I buy it.

Nebe
11-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Screw the reels..

check out the plugs :drool:

tlapinski
11-10-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Pete_G
Yeah, I just like to see something that costs $500 before I buy it. $500? where are you getting them? they are $699 everywhere i see. oh well, more toys i need.

Tattoo
11-10-2004, 01:11 PM
I have a Saltiga 4500 on an 11' 1322 Arra and love it. My first impressions were that the reel was a bit small ( compared to a VS 250 and a 704 ). After filling the spool with line I managed 25 yards of 2lb mono as backing and 275 yards of 50lb Power Pro. If you hook into something from the surf that takes 200 yards of line guess what, your not fishing at that point, your praying.

The first thing I noticed was the increased distance casting plugs than with my tried and true VS250. Without a doubt it cast further than a VS. The VS's large diameter spool is where it gets it's capacity, but looses on distance.

The manual bail takes a little getting used to ( maybe 15 casts ) but before you know it you dont even know your doing it. I wish there was a way to go totally manual and just use the roller but that doesnt appear to be an option.

Dunking, I've had no problems. Recentlly on a trip to an ilans where the wind was blowing 25 - 30 and I was up to my chest in surf ( and nice and dry, thanks Aquaskinz) The reel was under water, took it out and kept casting. Put it down in the sand to take a break afterwrds, washed it off and kept fishing. I fished it the next day with no problems. Drag is still smooth, no grinding from left over sand, nothing.

The drag is pretty amazing. 30 lbs of drag or something crazy like that. Quite possible the prefect reel for landing baby seals on the outer cape.

All in all the reel is great, especially if your looking for a distance reel. I'd buy another without thinking twice about it.

Is it better than a VS? Who knows. I am pleased with both of my VS 250's just as much as this reel. Ask me this same question when I send the VS's in for service and the bill is more than 36 bucks.....but thats a different story and another thread.

tlapinski
11-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Mike, you say hi to my girlfriend this past weekend? :wave:

Flaptail
11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Now that sounds like the reel I would be interested in dropping some serious cake on.:D

Pete_G
11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by tlapinski
$500? where are you getting them? they are $699 everywhere i see. oh well, more toys i need.

Just guessing at the various expensive looking reels on that website.

JoeP
11-10-2004, 03:31 PM
I echo what Tattoo said about the reels. They are great reels in all respects. The 4000/4500 have 22 pounds of drag pressure and the 5000/6000 have triple that drag strength.

The bail is manual meaning it will not close unless you do so with your hand. The reel will not even really turn if the bail is open.

Also, another great aspect of these reels is the huge handle arm and knob. Very powerful and comfortable.

I have talked to the reps at Daiwa America and these reels are marketed for sale herein the US as well as overseas. They will be serviced at Daiwa US and are covered by the Daiwa US warranty.

Surely Bassey
11-10-2004, 05:27 PM
So Fishweewee, whose did you fondle?
I would like to fondle one too. Be even better if I could fondle a few different models.
I'll probably have to wait for the winter RI Bass show for Diawa to show the line. It's got to be difficult for any store to stock any sort of supply of these babies...

PurpelNoon
11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Now does the 4500 have the GT spool version for longer casts? I've only seen it on the 5000/6000.

Tattoo
11-11-2004, 07:42 AM
No, the 4500 does not have the GT spool.

Looking at that website I see those nice fancy machine aluminium handles.

Accurate has the same thing, just take the knob off and have at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36163&item=7113227099&rd=1