View Full Version : Trailer Repair ??

Bob Thomas
11-11-2004, 02:35 PM
I hope someone can help me because I'm about to snap!

I have a small utility trailer that I absolutely LOVE. I figured I'd do some preventative maint. and repack the bearings. Well, the inside racer was welded to the frame and took a miracle to get off.

Got most of the parts but I am having a problem getting one bearing seal that goes on the inside of the hub. The inside dia. is 1 1/4" and the outside is a hair over 2" The part I got from northern was supposed to fit an identical trailer/hub assembly but seems a little loose. The 1 good seal from the old setup would sit snug in the hub and was rubber coated. This one I am trying to replace is metal and just drops in with about 1/16" of play around it.

Should these fit snug or be that loose?

Thanks!

macojoe
11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
They should be taped in with a rubber hammer.
Bring the old one with you to a auto parts store.
I had a problem with my trailer, and I went to a auto part store. If you have a favroite place they won't mind going thur some till you find one that will fit.
After you find the right one save the box for the next time.

Can also try a boat trailer place. They are also very helpful!!

Good Luck!

Bob Thomas
11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Joe,

Yeah, I tried the auto part store, nada. Went to an RV part center. That poor guy was ticked because he couldn't find it for me. He looked for an hour. Only reasoning we can come to is that it is a chinese maker. The seal I received is all metal so I am going to improvise and use some of that rubber tool handle dip stuff and see if I can build it up. I'm just out of options.

Thanks for the info, though. It just shows me that I do have something that is not the right size (no comments please)

fishaholic18
11-11-2004, 11:22 PM
I don't know if there's one down your way, but I use a place called Bearing Service. They have everything to do with bearings and seals.

CpCdtrucker
11-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Ifr you ever have a race stick like that again. Use a hacksaw or a die grinder to cut a notch in the race. Hit the notch with a chisel and the race will split. try some of the places that sell campers for the seal it should fit snug in the hub. sometimes you can see a number on the seal that they can cross reference .

CpCdtrucker
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Your other option is a new pair of hubs. you just need to know the axle diameter.

UserRemoved1
11-12-2004, 06:49 AM
get a new hub Bob, #1 you don't wanna be messin with that stuff on a highway somewhere....been there done that with a boat trailer too many times.... #2 if it's loose any amount of mickey mousing isn't going to last reliably....see #1 :)

I have 4 spare hubs that I rotate so they can be rebuilt etc and ready to swap for the next time....