View Full Version : PC Issue

The Dad Fisherman
11-15-2004, 10:50 AM
I just rebuilt a PC at home and I'm having an issue when I dial in to my ISP. once I connect within 2-3 minutes I look at Task Manager and have a svchost.exe process running that is s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g up 98% of the processor. When I disconnect it still stays there and I need to reboot to clear it.

Tried a new modem from a different manufacturer w/ different drivers and get the same thing. I'm running Win 2k on it w/ SP 4. the only apps loaded are IE 6 sp1, Office XP sp 2, and McAfee Viruscan 8.

When the Processor is pegged there is no activity on the modem so its not something trying to download anything on the PC.

Any help would be appreciated....thanx

likwid
11-15-2004, 11:33 AM
scan for spyware/virii?

maddog2020
11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
I've had sort of similar problems w/ an old lap top I use in the cellar. I had no communication between the lap top and the ISP - I was IN, but nothing was being transmitted OR received?!

What I ended up doing was re-dialing into my ISP a few more times then it was fine?! No clue what was going on or if I had botched my Norton AV when I was changing the settings ..... lol.

You don't use earthlink do you? That is who I use - may be it was a net work issue?

I didn't do control alt delete to see what was going on there - I will next time if it happens again. May be a virus? ;)

jugstah
11-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Virus or Malware/Spyware. Bets are on the first.

The Dad Fisherman
11-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jugstah
Virus or Malware/Spyware. Bets are on the first.

Checked that and it came up clean. Used McAfee and Adaware 6. This started happening the very 1st time I logged into the ISP. I had completely erased the Hard Drive and reinstalled the O/S before doing this......Its driving me nuts, I can't get my S-B.com fix on the weekends anymore :D

jugstah
11-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Well, I don't know. Try another spyware/malware detection program, or call your ISP and demand an explanation. :)

HighTide
11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
When you say you disconnect, are you ending the process in Task Manager?

Also make sure that it's not svhost.

The Dad Fisherman
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh it is svchost.exe and even after I disconnect from the ISP by right-clicking the Systray icon and selecting disconnect I can't kill the process in Task Manager.

HighTide
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Try this fix (http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;832624&spid=2073&sid=global) . If that's not it, hopefully it will put you in the right direction.

Also you can try the IE6 sp1 patch.

The Dad Fisherman
11-28-2004, 10:28 PM
Well after 2+ weeks of trying to figure this one out it turns out it was the ISP I was using. I changed ISP's and its been fine ever since.

Don't know why that was. the one I was using didn't have any S/W to load up. I basically blew the whole PC away and just installed the O/S and connected to the ISP and sure enough it pegged the Processor.

Just thought I'd pass this on in case you guys run into the same problem