View Full Version : Boat ownership

Carl
11-15-2004, 02:03 PM
As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a wellcraft V20. It needs some work and a new motor, but it is mine and by next fishing season, I will be catching fish that don't count:smash:. I need to get the trailer inspected by the end of the month. My kids seem to think it's kinda funny to see a boat in the backyard and up on blocks. They seem excited about it too.

missing link
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
sweet... talk to macojoe hes got the same boat:)

fishaholic18
11-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Here's a motor for ya.
http://www.striped-bass.com/StriperTalk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19227

Mr. Sandman
11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
right on!

macojoe
11-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Thats what my boat is?? I have always wondered what it was!! Thanks ML for letting me no!!:laughs:

But I have one question for you, Do you no what you have gotten your self into??
Boats suck!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are turly the worst investment you can make!!!! Your wife is going to yell, scream, and kick about how much money you are going to spend!!!
For every great day you have on the water you are going to have a night mare with the boat!!!!!!!!

Now I have warned you about boating, Welcome to the best time in your life!!
And no matter what anyone here tells you, BOAT fish count!! :laughs:

Carl I will help you with what ever questions that you might have!!

S0 what year?? I/O or OB ?? What horse power ?? Does it Float ?

And as fishaholic18 says that motor that Sandman would be great!!!!!!!!!! If you had the cash I would get them!! If I had not just bought another Truck I would be buying them for sure.

Carl
11-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes it floats! It's an outboard, but it takes a motor with a 20" shaft because of the way the transom is shaped. I saw Mr. Sandman's post last week, but realized those engines have 25 " shafts. It had a 150 Mercury on it until the owners grandkid forgot to put the 2stroke oil in it. The boat is a bit old - 1978 but up until 2 years ago - well taken care of. The hull is in good shape and the transom solid. The grandfather kinda gave up on the boat and unloaded it very cheap. He said he wanted it to used well, enjoyed, and taken care of. I guess I qualified.:smash:

I'm sure as the winter progresses I will have tons of questions. Thanks for you offer MJ I'm sure I will take you up on it.

macojoe
11-15-2004, 03:53 PM
Mine is a 1975 and still going fine !! :D You will love it!!!!!!!

Clammer
11-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Carl // best of luck & enjoy /// great hull to bounce off the rocks with /////////

ya kids will love it :D

Roger
11-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Carl. Congrats on the new boat.

Are you sure the transom is good? Absolutely no flex when bouncing the motor up and down?

The reason I ask is that if it'll need to be replaced soon it would be a good idea to get it done now and raise it to 25". You could then take the deal on Sandman's motor. The extra 5" will keep much more water out of your boat as well.

If your transom really is 100% good, you can put a jackplate on the transom to use a 25" shaft motor.

Mr. Sandman
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
carl... 4K will both motors. (one in great shape the other will supply you with parts for life (or could be rebuilt). Personally, I think there is enough play in the bolting holes to allow for plenty of adjustment to fit most 20' deep V boats, but I have not seen your transom mods. You are welcome to come to MV to have a look anyway. I can show you how they were mounted on my boat and you can see it it works out.

PS. MakoJoe is right....boats suck. They are a pain in the ass. BUT one good day on the water is priceless and well worth the pain.

Roger: IMO all boats should have jackplates. They work awesome, I was on a buddies boat that had one and the level of "tuning" you can do is endless. You can get the engine in perfect position for any RPM.

macojoe
11-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes Jack plaes are nice!! And that would work well with your wellcraft Carl.

His transom the way it is will not take a 25" shaft!! Way to low.

Carl with the motor on the boat and in the up position grabe the lower leg and lift up and down to see if there is movement. the again side to side. You should be able to bounce the boat around the trailer with out moveing the transom walls.

Another way is to drill a couple small holes on the inside of the transom 1/4, and see if you get dirt or clean wood. Just remember to fill the holes back up with 5200 or marine tex.

I belive you are the guy who sent me a email?? But if not I am a member of a site that we all own the same boat and have made all kinds of repairs to the same boat.

http://wellcraftv20.com/ Just click Gallery to see diferent peoples boats or forum to get to a message board like her. It free tosign up!

Hope to see you there!! I will always answer what ever questions here also.

ScottM
11-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Roger
If your transom really is 100% good, you can put a jackplate on the transom to use a 25" shaft motor.

In this situation, a jack plate would be the best solution. Last season my father put a Rite Hite (http://www.rmind.com/jackplates.php?UID=20041116092856209.0.114.9) manual jack plate on his 23' SeaCraft for the same reason - 20" transom, repowering with 25" motor - and it works pissa! The boat gets up on plane quicker and at a lower speed. It's hard to get a feel for other performance or fuel efficiency measures since the engine was changed at the same time. For $300 (6" setback), it's the way to go.

macojoe
11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
As most know I repowered by converting, from I/O to a Outboard by using a Gill Bracket.
I was able to pick what I wanted, and I went with a 25" shaft. This boat out performs the I/O hands down!!!! I get just as good gas as when it was a I/O and it has more power, and handles like a dream!!

Carl
11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys for all the well wishes and great advice. The transom is in good shape. There is no flex when I jockey the motor around. The previous owner had the transon professionally redone in 1987. He had it redone in the same configuration as the original because he had just repowered a year before with a 20" shaft and didn'y want to have to buy another new motor. I've thought about the jack plates but wondered if it put additional stress on the transom because the engine doesn't sit right on the transom? More things to think about I guess.

Fish On
11-16-2004, 11:35 AM
You have just enjoyed one of the two best days in a boat owner's life!

1) The day you buy your boat

2) The day you sell your boat

Here's to the second!

Fish On-22' Hydra-Sports Walk around Cuddy