View Full Version : Trailer parts

Carl
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Northern tool & equipment catalog on trailer parts - axle, springs, hubs, etc? I have a free shipping coupon which makes the deal a lot sweeter. I don't want to bother if the stuff is junk. Commments - experiences ?!!!

Thanks

Van
11-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Don't know about Northern for other than tools.

If you wnat try this..

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm

Bob Thomas
11-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Carl,

Make sure you know the sizes etc of what you want to purchase. I just finished a bearing job on a utility trailer and had to fudge some of the parts they sent. It was mostly my own fault because I did not have the exact part numbers I needed.

All in all, I've dealt with them quite a bit and they are more than helpful, except for one idiot I spoke with. They sent me a double order. I called and they issued me a return number but never mentioned they were sending shipping labels. Spent my own money to get it back to them and asked for refund. One moron said it was my fault and hung up on me. Called back and very nice woman issued a refund to my credit card.

I like them and will do future business, if that helps you!

MTC
11-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Just goto RnR in Hingam across from Hewits Cove.

Carl
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks folks.

All good info. I'm trying to minimize shipping costs on the heavier items.

MTC - thanks, unfortunately I'm down here in Connecticut.

macojoe
11-20-2004, 09:06 PM
I did the Northen deal for my old trailer. All worked out great!! Just make sure you no what you want!!

Just measure, merasure, and then measure again so you no just what to get. The order everything from them, all new hub, berrins, springs and you will be fine.

They had a 3000 lb mono leaf spring when i did my jiob. I loved it!! No more squeeking springs, and they last much longer as they are thicker and water does not stick between the leafs.

But do your self a big favor, get a good paint and paint the axle real good. They do not sell Galv the last I no and the salt will rust it quick! I painted mine with ZRC Galivanictic compond and after 3 years I had only some rust were the Leaf spring bolts on.

Good luck

Carl
11-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Another question,

Macojoe,

When you bought the axle and springs from Northen, were the spring pads already welded on the axle or is that something that was shipped loose and you had to do? I've called and got a few different answers. Most of the axles I've seen online, ship them loose - Northern didn't say they do though.

Thanks again.

Those mono springs sound good, I didn't see them in the current catalog.

macojoe
11-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Mine came welded on. Just bolted all toghter and was ready to go.

Ask to speak to a trailer guy when you call to order and maybe they have the springs, worth a try!

I ended up getting a pair of mono with eyes in eaither end as they were all out of nsliper springs at the time.
Then I heated them on one end and took the eeye out of one end and made them sliper springs. Some said I would have problems doing that, but I used the trailer for 3 years no problem and the guy I sold it to is still using it that way.

So thats a option also when talking to the trailer guy?