View Full Version : Advice on Vises

Swimmer
11-19-2004, 07:31 PM
I need a new vice and I tie a large amount of flies. I am thinking about a top of the line Griffin, but I'm just not sure. Although it fits my budget I don't know anyone who has one. Help me out here with this. What does everyone think about a Griffin? What other vises might y'all suggest?

NEXT2NUN
11-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Anything Dyna-King!!

Bobbike
11-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I use a Dyna-King, But with a budget Regal is a nice vice

ronfish
11-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Swimmer- PM'ed you. Ron

afterhours
11-20-2004, 10:04 AM
been tying on a xuron for over 25 years. it will handle from #26 midges up to big striper flies. simple design, reasonable cost, last a lifetime.

Swimmer
11-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks so far for all the replies. Afterours you and I are on the same wavelength. I think the "Blues Brothers" is one of the all-time greatest movies.

Mr. Sandman
11-25-2004, 06:22 PM
What about a vise for strickly salt water stuff.... in the sub $200 range?

Roger
11-25-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
What about a vise for strickly salt water stuff.... in the sub $200 range?

I'd have to give the nod to the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler - Cam Model.

Mr. Sandman
11-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Thanks Roger, I am not a FW fisherman and only have an old crappy little vise that I use to tie tail hooks and teasers but I would like to try my hand at some sw flies. I would like to get a better one but don't thinkg I need the finesse of the ultra fancy (expensive) vises. That SW one you pointed out looks great and will more then meet my needs (and 8/0 hook is about all I need!). I went to the website and I think something like that will be under the tree in a month.

thanks.

jim

Mr. Sandman
11-30-2004, 11:26 AM
One more question...

I am thinking about getting a Xmas gift for my 12 year old son that will help him tie his own bucktails and teasers. I was thinking of getting him this "saltwater fly tying kit" that has all the basic things...
something like this....
http://members.ij.net/danscustomflys/FlyTyingKitPage.html

My question is...would I be better off with a kit like this or should I spend all the $$$ on a better vise alone...I am leaning towards the kit so he has everything to work with but I would like your thought.

PNG
11-30-2004, 02:40 PM
My question is...would I be better off with a kit like this or should I spend all the $$$ on a better vise alone...I am leaning towards the kit so he has everything to work with but I would like your thought.

I think you could do better than the Kit, we could get more specific on what to buy so you only buy it once. On the other hand they are a cheap way to find out if he has an interest in tying his own flies.

My preference for a vice is the Regal. Made in Orange Mass.
Its tough as nails & holds up to 5/0 VMC.

NEXT2NUN
11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Sandman, I started with a kit from Cabelas. It gave me a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into. I tied alot of flies and bucktails on that little vise before I bought a Dyna-King. Once you get started you can add bucktails, necks and some flash of different colors as you go. Before you spend alot of money on a vise , go to a good shop or a flyfishing show to feel them out.

jkswimmer
12-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I have a Griffin Cam Patriot it will hold 8/0 bucktail jig down to a # 18 trout fly. I like it .

Mr. Sandman
12-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks guys, I ended up getting him the salt water kit...it has all the little odds and ends. I probably could have done better picking and choosing all the parts but I figured if he really gets into it together we will get a high end vise and tools,
I think for now this do.