View Full Version : Suggestions?

"Lou"
10-12-2001, 09:05 AM
Hey All,

I'm pretty new to this forum and I hafta say I'm really impressed. I just started fishing a couple years ago and haven't caught as many bass in those few years as it seems you guys catch in one weekend. I think all summer I've had 4 bass, mostly on umbrella rigs in less than 25 feet of water.
So, since it seems that everyone here knows the trick I was just wondering what you would suggest for this weekend. I'm gonna be fishing from my boat outta Point Judith RI.
I don't have wire and haven't ever used eels, but im willing to try anything. Thanks for all your imput and good luck this weekend.

Tight Lines,

"Lou"

Clammer
10-12-2001, 09:15 AM
tube & worm ,troll around the 20 ft mark , or over a hump is always good, go right around the light , middle wall is good ,but too many pots, eels are great but one on the experts will help you ,
have you considered block??;)

JohnR
10-12-2001, 10:27 AM
Welcome aboard Lou - just like clamdigger said - use the tube & worm. Practice getting it down as low as you can without constantly hanging up. If you are not occasionally hanging up, your not fishing deep enough. You should run at least 2 at the same time. One scraping near the bottom and one midway in the water column. If you can safely run 4 - vary them between the near bottom and half way up the coulmn. Fish tem near and over structure and the biggest mistake - trolling too fast. - That's about as much as can be said in one paragraph. There are a lot of little tricks as far as weigting, speed, working structure which are aquired after time on the water doing it...

Another GREAT consideration for boaters getting into bass (real bass - not those freshwater types) fishing, is to go out on a charter that works the area YOU want to fish or some will take you out on your own boat and show you how.... Any charter skipper can take his fare out to Block and score fish, but you won't learn as much if someone with SKILZ puts you on fish in your own waters...

GS has the perfect boat in the sense the can do most of his manuevring with a saltwater electric trolling motor - if your boat is under 22 feet and open- you may want to consider that for next year.

As far as eels go - this late in the season for fishing during the day, I would not try to switch & learn eels if I were you. Save that for next year as now, you're in crunch time - go with the tube-n-worm....

Later,

John

"Lou"
10-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I'll definitely try that this weekend. I just have one questiong, how do i get the tubes down? I use to use umbrella rigs on two 20-40lb set-ups, one with mono and the other with a braid. Will the tube sink better than the umbrella since there is less resistance? I could usually only get the umbrella rigs down about 10ft max. Thanks again for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Tight lines

"Lou"

Canalratt1
10-12-2001, 02:17 PM
Lou if you are going to troll these lures you should invest in a wireline or leadcore outfit. Leadcore works great for 20 feet or under and wire is better for 20 feet +. Troll the tubes slow around 2 to maybe 3 MPH either zig-zagging or putting the moter in nuetrual occasionaly. Fish close to structure as possible. Good luck

Clammer
10-12-2001, 02:18 PM
If you don,t have lead line, Use core sinkers on your line/// good luck/////