View Full Version : This holiday give the gift of Life

mikecc
11-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Just to remind everyone this holiday season the blood supply is in very short supply. Get out and give blood.

Just a few facts

An adult body contains 10-12 pints of blood

Red blood cells last 42 days, Plasma is good for up to 1 year,
platelets only 5 days.

A liver transplant on avrage takes 10 units of red blood cells 20 units of plasma & 10 units of platelets.

Most common blood type is O Positive. The rarest is AB Negative.

You can donate blood every 56 days

A healthy person can give blood 330 times in his or her lifetime.

In New Englang Region 1,200 - 1,500 donations must be received daily.

There is no substitute for blood.

Only 4.2 % of the population in the US gives blood

Any member of this board who gives blood this holiday season (save your card) I will give 15 % off rods & reels or 20% off any tackle item in the shop when your card is given at the shop. Sorry no mail order item.

The next Blood drive nearest to me is in Carver At 127 Main St. next tuesday Nov 30th between 2-8pm. call 508-291-1335 for appointment or directions or walkins are always welcome.

I will be there all day helping out.

Call 1-800 GIVE- LIFE (1-800-448-3543) to find out when a Red Cross blood drive will be coming to your area.

Fishpart
11-23-2004, 02:57 PM
For you RhodeEyelanders..

http://www.ribc.org/drive.asp

You should also consider signing up for the National Bone Marrow Registry. There are a lot of people out there looking for a Bone Marrow Donor match and you could be it. While donating takes a day it hurts less than one slip on the rocks...

Jim O
11-23-2004, 05:01 PM
WAY TO GO MIKE. The summer is also a critical time and Mattapoisett Troop 53 will be having it's annual blood drive the end of June . I still have the Mr. Wiggleys for a raffle prize and I be hitting up some plug makers for donations for S-B folks who stick out their arms. The drive is only 300 yards from the water so bring your rods and try out Mattapoisett and the South Coast . I'll be posting again in the spring . Sorry Mike I didn't mean to hijack you thread.
Jim

Slipknot
11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Great post Mike :btu:

I give 2 units of red blood cells 2-3 times a year. I am up over 2 gallons now working on 3. The place in Middleboro has these machines that take only what they need and return the rest to your body, that is why I can give just red cells, and being O positive I know it is needed.

JohnR
11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
My wife and I cannot give blood due to living overseas in the gestation days of Mad Cow. But we would if we could.

Maybe that's what is wrong with me - mad cow :smash:

Slip - you always seem to be giving blood...

MAC
11-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
My wife and I cannot give blood due to living overseas in the gestation days of Mad Cow. But we would if we could.

Maybe that's what is wrong with me - mad cow :smash:

Slip - you always seem to be giving blood...

:confused: :confused: what years would that curtail? That thought never crossed my mind whenever I gave blood. I was in Eurpoe back in 81 & part of 82:eek:

mikecc
11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Mac
From what the donor list says

UK, Europe ,Oman or Turkey 1/1/1980 to present or a total of 6 months or more in these countries or 3 months in UK.

MAC
11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
:eek: oops, guess I shouldn't be giving blood anymore then. Couldn't right now anyways as the doc has me on prednisone. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though. I never knew that. All I was ever asked was about tattoos, and injectible drug use.

JohnR
11-23-2004, 10:16 PM
That's about right - we both did three over there. She was 82-85 I was 83-86... Zum Wohl :cheers:

Where were you?

Clammer
11-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Wish I still could /////////////:(

fishsmith
11-24-2004, 08:08 AM
John I'm in the same boat, (MOO! MOO! MOO!) having spent time overseas in the navy, a year ago they told me i'm on the never can give blood list,(I feel fine MOO!!) i tried to argue it, but got nowhere. My blood is rare too AB+, MOO!!.

All kidding aside, i wish they had a test so I can start giving again, i've got the gallon pin, and I was hoping to give give again. Nothing like the human oil change.

Good post, if you can give, give. At least you know your blood won't go to 1st class plane tickets for an executive, like many charities.

MAC
11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by JohnR
That's about right - we both did three over there. She was 82-85 I was 83-86... Zum Wohl :cheers:

Where were you?

I was stationed outside of Frankfurt in a town called Oberusel. Was attached to the 570th MP platoon. We guarded railroad shipments of ammunition. Was kind of cool. We would board the train and ecsort the shipments all over Germany.

JohnR
11-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by MAC
I was stationed outside of Frankfurt in a town called Oberusel. Was attached to the 570th MP platoon. We guarded railroad shipments of ammunition. Was kind of cool. We would board the train and ecsort the shipments all over Germany.

Not trying to do a thread hijack but did you ever do the Berlin Train :hee: ?

I'm essentially a military brat and went to high school at Patch in Vaihingen - just outside of Stuttgart

missing link
11-24-2004, 09:50 AM
My Dad the Lt. Col .LINK was over in Berlin during the Berlin crisis,1960-1962 he has alot of stories about that Berlin train, they used to try to hijack the oil lamps off the back of the train one of his men got stuck on board and traveled around for weeks stowed away .
later, link sr:cool:

missing link
11-24-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm gonna try and get there, link sr:cool: no apt. needed ?

mikecc
11-24-2004, 09:34 PM
walk ins always welcome

Slipknot
11-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by fishsmith

Good post, if you can give, give. At least you know your blood won't go to 1st class plane tickets for an executive, like many charities.

ain't that the truth

BigFish
11-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Ish gaen nach Deutshland und trinka bier!:gu:

I can say it better than I spell it!:laughs:

thefishingfreak
11-25-2004, 09:56 PM
give platelets{sp} too:) at childrens hospital.
takes about an hour. they take your blood and run it thru this fancy gizmo and put it back in ya.

helps out the little kids with cancer.
and ya get to watch a movie of your choice while guzlin all the free juice you can handle:)

JohnR
11-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Ish gaen nach Deutshland und trinka bier!:gu:

I can say it better than I spell it!:laughs:

When you say it oul loud almost sounds like someone fresh off the boat from County Cork :smash: