View Full Version : custom rod with a brass striped bass in the handle

blue oyster
11-23-2004, 05:58 PM
i just came into possesion of a 9' custom wapped 2 piece rod .the top of the handle has a small section of dark wood . on top of the wood there in a small brass or bronze striped bass set in epoxy . this rod has great balance and feels like you could cast all day and not miss a beat . does anyone have any thoughts on who might have wrapped it:confused:

BigPete
11-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Where did you get it? Any other inscriptions on it?

Fisherwoman
11-23-2004, 08:25 PM
rod was done by arthurs costum rods phone#1 617 479 7092 quincy mass. b.c

blue oyster
11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
i won it in a raffle , but its no kid its been around , no other marks

BEETLE
11-23-2004, 09:29 PM
The rod belonged to former MSBA President Tom Downey. Sadly Mr. Downey passed away recently and this rod found its way to the raffle table and to you.

Unfortunately, I was not involved with the club then, and never had the pleasure to meet or fish with him, but I am told that rod and reel is a sweet setup (obviously we see that by the look and feel) and has caught many, many nice fish, and has some serious mojo.

I'm sure that some others here on the board who knew Tom well will see this and can elaborate more on the rod and details.
Bobbike would be one in particular to have info.
Like Fisherwoman/Baitcasters post says, built by Arthurs Custom Rods, one of the best and fussiest builders around.

Best of luck with it.

BasicPatrick
11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Tom was a hard fisherman and that rod is just perfect. If that ever goes up for sale make sure you let me know.

Call Arthur and he would be glad to give you the details.

BEETLE
11-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Pat you don't need another rod - but I do ! :smash:
especially one with some mojo. :D