View Full Version : ever see

mikecc
11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
A flying squirrel has been at the bird feeder in my yard the past few nights. It seems to come out between 6-7PM jumps from an oak tree about 15’ away to the deck pole and climbs up to the feeder & then jumps to the tree again.
Never seen one before they are cool
Has anybody else ever seen any?

beamie
11-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Mike,

My family used to have a cottage in Maine, mostly for skiing, Use to trap flying squirrels in the attack with the rat trap. Nice looking creatures.

On occasion I'd see one under the lights from tree to tree. Spred those arms and use them as a glider. neat. Those like any varmit tear up the insulation in the attack so had to thin them out.

Jon

redneck24
11-24-2004, 08:33 PM
they are everywhere at my grandmothers house in kingston. cool little things. i have some cool pics from the yard, if i can find them ill post them.

spence
11-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Mike, they really are not flying all that fast. You don't need to lead them much at all :laughs:

-spence

UserRemoved1
11-25-2004, 06:15 AM
I got 3 of them in my backyard and ya can come take the little vermins away too.....

maddog2020
11-25-2004, 09:40 AM
We see them rarely on the bird feeder when it is dark - skiddish little buggers - they blend in well and they have these big cute looking eyes.

They glide pretty cool as well.

Found one dead in the toilet one day when we were looking at a house for sale that was in Upton (14 yrs ago). I said ' hmm.... dead flying squirrel in the toilet bowl" . The realitor was grossed out and ask me to put the cover down and leave it be. ;)

Caught one once in a live trap when we were going after whitefooted mice, meadown voles & chipmunks. Tagged it and let it go - cool to see up close. :)

We had a grey fox under the feeder back in late September - eating the sunflower hearts - he had an eye on the neighbors and local cat then left after about 15 mins when he was full. Rare beast to be seen at least for us. We see many more red fox during the day or nite time crossing the roads.

MAC
11-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by maddog2020
We see them rarely on the bird feeder when it is dark - skiddish little buggers - they blend in well and they have these big cute looking eyes.

They glide pretty cool as well.

Found one dead in the toilet one day when we were looking at a house for sale that was in Upton (14 yrs ago). I said ' hmm.... dead flying squirrel in the toilet bowl" . The realitor was grossed out and ask me to put the cover down and leave it be. ;)

Caught one once in a live trap when we were going after whitefooted mice, meadown voles & chipmunks. Tagged it and let it go - cool to see up close. :)

We had a grey fox under the feeder back in late September - eating the sunflower hearts - he had an eye on the neighbors and local cat then left after about 15 mins when he was full. Rare beast to be seen at least for us. We see many more red fox during the day or nite time crossing the roads.

Fox aren't that bad. If you are seeing a few of them you probably don't have a bad coyote problem in the area.