View Full Version : Nefarious fishermen immortalized in DiBenedetto tome

Swimmer
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
I just finished reading "On the Run" that I purchase during a foray into the new Barnes and Noble store in Hingham, Mass. Much to my surprise I find that some of the people here have been immortalized in print in the book. Hab, Tattoo, Mike L., Crafty Angler, and DZ, and Iron Mike who reportedly sneaks one particular socially unacceptable word into every sentence after a couple of blueberries at Coddington's. I find that hard to believe about Iron Mike. I suppose I'll just have to attend one of the over winter meetings at the "PUB" to find out. My only disappointment came when DiBenedetto plugged SOL.com and not S-B.com. All in all it was an easy read, a very simple book. Reminded me of Andy Hardy book series you could buy in grade school. I think if the author stayed around R.I. a little longer he could have written quite a few chapters about the group on this site. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

Watch out for the dune monsters!

JohnR
11-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Hey Frank - we talked a lot about this last year. He did his jaunt down the coast back in 2001 when he fished with all of these guys. Interesting read and yes - it was good to see him write about some of the people that float thru here.

As for the SOL -v- SB thing, that's OK. You must have missed the "Northern Alliance" meetings with the blueberries.

Besides, we wouldn't want that extra publicity would we? I mean, the guy is from Jersey, right :laughs: :hihi: :hee:

NIB
11-25-2004, 11:18 AM
So whats wrong with Jersey.:rolleyes: I know jersey guys come up there an catch all the good fish.While the rhody guys are at the bar.

Roseneath
11-25-2004, 11:37 AM
I liked the book; it was a nice easy read.

It made me want to take a week off of work in the middle of October, rent a house in Charlestown and fish every sleep deprived second...
:smash:

JHABS
11-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Nib, Nib, Nib :rolleyes: You are so wrong. If you want you can Stand Next to me IN THE SURF........................

JohnR
11-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by NIB
So whats wrong with Jersey.:rolleyes: I know jersey guys come up there an catch all the good fish.While the rhody guys are at the bar.

NIB - just kidding for crying out loud, for a Jersey guy you are awfull sensitive :love:

Actually, ONE Jersey guy comes up and catches all the fish. And from all reports he's one of the most intense anglers to come by in a while. So far as to influence me on the need to lose 70 pounds and get a wet suit :hee:

And I never go to a bar when I could be fishing instead :cheers:

Tattoo
11-25-2004, 01:09 PM
I know jersey guys come up there an catch all the good fish.

Must suck that there are no fish in Jersey.

Pick a tide, I'll round up the gang and we'll see who's who.

Nebe
11-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JohnR

And I never go to a bar when I could be fishing instead :cheers:

I do Both :D at the narrow river

cheferson
11-25-2004, 04:53 PM
at the sand bar, yak yak:laughs:

Swimmer
11-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I do remember the post about the winter meetings at the pub sipping blueberry elixer, but I didn't recall anything about any book. Either way it was great to read about the guys here. I must say my first experience with successful cow hunters was watching Jersey guys walk up from the surf on Monomoy at night with 40 and 50 pounders slung over their shoulders in the ealry seventies. They all drove brand new Jeep wagoneers and had ten to fifteen contentional rods and reels on top of the wagons. I assumed the vehicles were all new because they were quite successful in their fishing endeavours. They all hung out in North Eastham at a tackle shop owned by a retired New York cop. The shop was on the left just before you entered Wellfleet. I also just finished reading "Reading The Water" by Bob Post. It is truly an inspirational book. It was written about the 84 and 85 seasons over the Vineyard when I had my first place finish in the shore bluefish division. My fish pushed Janet Messineo out of third place and off the board. I always felt bad about that until I rear Post's book and saw how many big fish in other categories Janet caught that year.

Watch out for the dune monsters!

NIB
11-26-2004, 04:37 AM
I was only joking.although I am game for competition any time.Its been almost 9 yrs since I had a drink,Quitter. Perhaps I am Jealous.:(

Crafty Angler
11-27-2004, 08:52 AM
I dunno, maybe with the holidays rolling around we oughta reconvene the Alliance for some blooooberries :cheers:

And, hey, ya don't need to indulge in the lager to have fun with this crew - there's a few who enjoy non-alcoholic beverages too -
Maybe we round up some of the Usual Suspects - like Blooocrab, Clamma, the C.O., Habs, DZ etc etc - the more the merrier - for an informal meeting the Coddington at some point over the next few weeks -

Anybody up for that?

I am :wave:

PNG
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
My fish pushed Janet Messineo out of third place and off the board. I always felt bad about that until I rear Post's book and saw how many big fish in other categories Janet caught that year.

Interplanet Janet, She's a galaxy Girl.

I bought a bunch of her skin mounts. Top notch work!

Squid kids Dad
11-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I'M up for that...Even tho i'm a M#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...:D

Crafty Angler
11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Squid kids Dad
I'M up for that...Even tho i'm a M#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...:D

Well, that doesn't make ya a bad person - everybody has to come from somewhere :p

We make no distinction at Alliance meetings - Sand People are gladly welcomed...

beachwalker
11-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Why thank you CA.

even though I haven't gone to any S-B meetings yet...

still fish in sandville :)