View Full Version : PFD's

t.orlando
11-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Since I swim like a brick, and fish a few hairy spots, gonna put a PFD on the X-mass wish list. Tried the search feature and came up empty. Anyone have any recomendations? Debating on which one to get. Are the waist belt types any good? Short-manual or long manual? Anyplace I can go to actually try one on? Do they effect mobility at all? Under jacket or over jacket? Any input would be appreciatted. Just want to feel a little safer. Thanks in advance.

cheferson
11-26-2004, 11:10 AM
I started using one when the surf kicks up after i got swept out by a set of massive rogue waves. definetly feel a lot more comfortable with it on and the surf kicking. I forget the brand, ill dig it out later today. It goes around your neck and chest, and is inflated when ya pull a cord. Nice and light and doesnt get in the way.

steelhead
11-26-2004, 11:13 AM
I wear one all the time. It's full vest designed for kayaking, so the mobility is pretty good. Surf casting or fly fishing has not been a problem. it has a few pockets and I can still carry a plug bag.

I got it after having to pull two different guys out of the water. One fell out of a boat and the other stepped off a bar into a very strong rip and was on his way to Portugal.... In both instances, things happen alot dfaster than you would ever imagine. When I think back on my life guarding days, I would have to say the same thing. They're cheap insurance. Don't assume someone will be able to help you out.

Stay away from the kind that just go around your waist. If you're knocked out, they do a great job of keeping your head under water. Look for ones that will hold your head above the waterline, even if your unconscious. They come both as an inflatable and as full foam (or what ever they are made of) vests.
I have not tried the suspender types. My guess is that they work to a point, as long as you are conscious.

5/0
11-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Just keep eating Cheesey puffs T & you'll be fine:laughs:

Striperhound
11-26-2004, 12:34 PM
SOSPENDERS at Boaters world. Light weight, rip cord inflation. Great option in the surf.

Iwannakeeper
11-26-2004, 03:15 PM
I have worn the SOSPenders fishing and they do not get in the way. I just do not know how well they support you in the water.

-IWK

Water Treater
11-26-2004, 09:02 PM
For the past 10 years I've used a CREWSAVER brand inflatable PFD when fishing from my small boat. No restrictions when fishing . Good insurance.

I recommend a model WITH A SAFETY HARNESS so you can be pulled from the water. Models without safety harness are lighter in weight but they are of limited value if you need to be rescued. I also recommend buying a model rated for 35 pounds of buoyancy. Many models are rated for only 25 pounds of buoyancy.

These things need to be serviced by you once a year in the spring. It's simple. Remove and weigh the CO2 cartridge to be sure it still weighs whatever is stamped on the brass cylinder (to be sure the CO2 hasn't leaked out) and manually inflate the unit as you would a beach toy and see if it holds air overnight.

If I fished a rocky shoreline at night I'd wear one of these. I always wear one when fishing from my boat.