View Full Version : How long is the average cast?

TunaCell
11-27-2004, 09:47 AM
I've just started flyfishing this past year, and was curious to how long the average cast is?

afterhours
11-27-2004, 05:31 PM
tough question, i've caught fish from 10' to over 100' and everywhere in between.

TunaCell
11-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the info

tattoobob
11-27-2004, 08:32 PM
i like to fish in a out flow there is a short cast
let your line out and slowly drag it in

bob

steelhead
12-02-2004, 08:12 PM
There is a myth that has been perpetrated on fly fishermen that the best fish at the horizon line or beyond... Not true... They canbe found ib the wash on the beach. In a rip close to shore, etc. It's more about learning their habits and patterns that casting far. Focus on becoming a good fisherman. The rest will follow.

pops
12-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I agree with short casts...
Ive seen BIG bass 20 ft from shore in the wash ...following the edge
of the trough made by wave action 2 ft in front of me !I tried dropping a fly ontop of them! ...then moved 15-20 from the water to cast into the trough!
Ive also caught schoolies on long wind assited casts into the middle of barnegate inlet 100'?
being able to cast long is fun, so I built a shooting head system using 35' airflo heads and 30lb gudebrod running line.
a fast sinking line always shoots furthest [in a wind as well]
then the int and last the floater. BUT the saying "horses for courses" applies to line . you just use whats right for the conditions.
loading the rod is paramount in long casts,so the line weight [overlining] comes into play ,but then its the rod YOU have and the line you like ...