View Full Version : Finicky Salmon?

tynan19
11-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Went fishing today for some stocked salmon and trout. We were fishing Comet Pond in Hubbardston Ma. Well we were using kastmasters and crocidile spoons and some power bait eggs. We managed only a nice rainbow.

Around 9am about 7 or 8 36inch plus salmon started swimming by us in 5 ft. of water they kept coming by every few minutes and they wouldn't hit anything. Not shiners power bait or spoons.
Any suggestions? We were about ready to snag the suckers.

bud8fan
11-28-2004, 04:35 AM
M-80's would do the trick!:laughs:

pete santini
11-28-2004, 06:56 AM
Did you try a big ball of green power bait? Those salmon still think in there in the hatchery thats why there swimming together the'll get hungry sooner or later santini

Canalratt1
11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
I feel your pain. Fished a pond on the Cape all day friday. Salmon were swimming everywhere. Got one (8+) on a split tailed rapala, but that was the only hit for me. Couple other guys got whacked on lures and minnows but no one landed any others. Myself I think minnows would be the best bet. Eventually if you wait them out they turn on, never happened for us friday.

Team Rock On
11-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I've never fished for these salmon but I know of a local guy that does well. He said the key is very light line, sometimes as little as 2 lb test.

bart
11-28-2004, 10:44 AM
it will take them a while to get acclimated, but if you go there when its sprinkling, not pouring, they should turn on. caught a lot of rainbows in march like this. IMO the rain drops look like food hitting the water, so they feed like they would in the hatchery.......

tynan19
11-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Tried the power bait eggs. The salmon might not of seen them because they were out deeper than the fish. 2 guys on either side of us were using shiners suspended on bobbers and they wouldn't hit those.

Suposed to rain a little today will go back out this afternoon, and try then.

Iwannakeeper
11-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Try tossing rabbit pellets. Since most people do not have rabbits, cat or dog food might work. It will stimulate their appetite. not sure if it is legal or not. but I do not know it works on hatchery brown trout in another state.

-IWK

pete santini
11-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Ron levya weighed in a 10.93 lb salmon yesterday ay my shop he caught iy in horn pond in woburn trolling a pins minnow in about 10 feet of water he caught 3 others at whites oond earlier in the day

tynan19
11-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Went back the next day and same damm thing. The looked like dolphins for crying out loud. Managed a trout on a Thomas Bouyant pearl and that was it. Just have to keep trying till the ice comes.

Quess I will have to get the freshy boat back out and troll a pinns.

Flaptail
11-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I haver caught a lot of these brood salmon over the last 8 years or so. Couple things I have found to be true whether you are trolling, wading and casting lures or ice fishing for them that have consistently repeated htemselves.

1. Salmon have certain periods of the day when they will feed. Most times I have found it more productive to fish later in the morning, from nine or so on till noon. ( this varies on other ponds)
2. For me and my friends that fish them, sunny days are way better than overcast.
3. Gold or gold/silver lures if you must chuck a piece of metal. A small piece of marabou on the treble does wonders. Fluorerscent colors are best.
4. Live shiners beat all in producing. From shore on a plain old bobber, trolled on the down riggers or under the ice.
5. Easterly winds just plain suck.
6. It takes week for salmon to finally acclimate to a new environment.
7. Salmon, no matter how deep the pond will always feed in the top ten feet of the water columm. ( only once did I catch a salmon deeper than ten feet, I was on Cliff Pond ice fishing and had a tilt down 35' for browns and took a salmon)
8. They are very wary. If you are ice fishing on good black ice, after you set your tilts get off the pond onto the shore.
9. They will come into very shallow water so don't be afraid to set your tilts or troll flat lines with lures such as Yozuri Pins Minnows or Rapalas in tight.
10. Trolling you should always tow a live shiner in back of the boat on a flat line with a small keel trolling weight three feet ahead of the shiner. Troll this flat line way back a hundred feet behind the boat.

There hope that helps.:D

pete santini
11-29-2004, 11:18 AM
The best bait to use bar none is a live or sewn on smelt theres no salmon atlantic broodstock or landlocked that can resist a properly presented smelt only problem the're a little scarce around these parts so thats why a pins minnow or some other smelt imitator will produce well.Also i've had alot of luck in the past with streamers with chartreuse krystal flash on them they like that color in murky water Remember its been over a week since they been stocked t by next week the'll eat a ciggarette butt.

tynan19
11-29-2004, 03:57 PM
I thought smelt are illegal to use as bait? Or is that only at the major reseviors?

pete santini
11-29-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure i thought you could use them for bait when their season is open i know its closed feb 28 till middle of may does any body know the answer?

Ed B
11-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Good question. The answers can be found on the Mass Fish and Wildlife web page.
It looks like you can use smelt as bait during the season that Pete points out which is May 16- Feb 29.
I believe the freshwater smelt spawn in that spring - Mar, Apr, May time frame when they go into the streams to spawn. I heard some guys got caught at Wachusett this year trying to net smelt during the closed season when they are schooling and vulnerable. Mass wildlife takes those violations seriously and I hope the judge nailed em as good as he could.

Good idea to read the rules first.

Karl F
11-29-2004, 05:14 PM
fjord spoon.

Flaptail
11-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Smelt are illegal. And Karl, SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl F
11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
what I say???? no secret ;)
ya made me think of that little smile that used to come across Mac Reeds face, I know you know the one I mean.....

Flaptail
11-30-2004, 12:39 PM
I miss that guy.:uhuh:

Karl F
11-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Yup, me too... this time of year especially, I still look for him when I drive by my pond on my way home to lunch... last few years of his life, Pat, his daughter, would drive him up to the pond, pack him a lunch and a beach chair for him, and set him there for a few hours mid-day... he'd always catch some trout... used to go say hi, once in a while, he'd be snoozing in the warm sun, all bundled up, most days,....... I'll never forget, I'm coming up on him one noontime, he's snoozing.. fish takes his bait, he sets the hook, without even waking up, :laughs: all reflex... I keep hearing the drag peel, finally he opens his eyes... little smile, and he starts reeling......

tynan19
11-30-2004, 08:44 PM
There is a smaller pond they stock near my house and these to older gentleman get dropped of there by their elder services bus. They do the same thing they just sit and wait. Great to talk to.

tynan19
11-30-2004, 08:52 PM
They still can fish.

Flaptail
12-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Ah Karl, your getting me misty eyed. Crystal Lake and Herring Pond were Mac's two fav's to get dropped at, specially Crystal. That guy taught me more about the beach than just about anyone. I would camp out in back of his place and sleep in my truck. I could leave gear at his store and no one would touch it. He taught me how to fish spinners, beads and seaworms in Pleasant Bay. How to do it with a long 9 foot light conventional with a squidder and 20 pound test. If the eelgrass was heavy suspended on the surface you would stick the rod down four feet in the water and could troll weed free under the stuff and catch fish like mad. He gave me a lot of old plugs. I would sit in his shop on rainny summer days and listen to him and Old Frank from New York sittin in those easy chairs talking about bass fishing the beach and the old days. I can still smell the ripe eels and other bait. Yeah, I really do miss him.:(

Karl F
12-01-2004, 12:54 PM
You couldn't have had a finer teacher... I was always lucky enough to listen... I used to see people rush in, and I'd watch Mac, he'd size them up pretty quick, but, to his credit, he'd always try to steer them right.. if they didn't listen, he'd get quiet, let them pick out what they wanted, and send them on their way.. the lucky ones, or the smart ones, let him advise them, sometimes without much talk... he'd ask what they were fishing for.. sometimes he might mention something, or sometimes just put something on the counter, maybe offer a little technique.. the longer you stayed, the more you learned.... I almost expect to see him sitting in one of the "dump" chairs in the back, and miss seeing old Fran Higgins sleeping back there too, and old Frank...
If any of them took a shine to you... you hade it made...

And.... did you ever see a more impressive turnout at his funeral... SRO, and outside too..... room full of legends, and some fortunate googans, like me.

so..... back on topic.....

finicky salmon

like I said.........

fjord spoon.........

:)

Flaptail
12-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Fran Higgins! Rumor had it that he and Pat were an item. And yeah, back to Fjiord Spoons. ( PS, Fran had the best Cape Cod accent I ever heard. N'otheast and theya for there and gonna blow some fearful tonight boys, won't be catchin' more than weed you will, might as well go home and snuggle up with mama boys!. Awesome):D

tynan19
12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Flap just think someday someone will be talking about you that way.:)

Flaptail
12-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I could only hope.:)

Canalratt1
12-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh word has it they are starting to bite! (live bait boys)