View Full Version : Best Quarterback Ever?

partsjay
11-29-2004, 01:34 PM
I just thought I'd stir things up a bit. Was curious who you guys might think is the best Q.B. ever. My pick is the guy who is going tonight ( and my fav. as well ) Brett Favre. The guy is unbelievable, and has more heart and guts than 99% of the athletes out there now. The only 3 time MVP of the league, has been in numerous huge playoff games as well as been to 2 Super Bowls and has won 1 of them, most of the time by carrying the team on his back. Just something to talk about as winter rolls in.

Mike P
11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
It's hard to compare players from different eras---for example, I never saw Norm van Brocklin play, but old timers still say he was the best ever.

My vote would go to Johnny Unitas.

QBs today don't call their own plays, and that, in my mind, takes a little something away from them compared to the great QBs of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

fishsmith
11-29-2004, 02:28 PM
as my man Pete Shepard would say
Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady Brady

BigFish
11-29-2004, 03:00 PM
However I must say Joe Montana was the best big game, 2 minute offense QB I ever saw!:D He won a few Superbowls and a few SB MVP's also!;)

Vectorfisher
11-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Joe Namath comes to mind

BigFish
11-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Joe Namath can't carry the jock of at least 20 quarterbacks I can name off the top of my head....wanna try me?;) Joe Namath was famous for one thing and one thing only....predicting a victory in Superbowl 3! Thats it....what else did he do????:confused:

28inches
11-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Johnny U, hands-down.:btu:

BigFish
11-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Ken Stabler, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Joe Theisman, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Steve Young, Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner, Len Dawson,

Honorable Mention Who Are Also Better QB's Than Namath.....Steve Grogan, Dan Pastorini, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Jim Plunkett, Bob Griese....

Up And Comers Who Got It All Over Namath.....Brady, McNabb, Manning.......;)

afterhours
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
montana was the best i,ve seen.

BigFish
11-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Just looked into Namaths stats.....he was good no doubt but I still believe he is over-rated!:huh:

Raider Ronnie
11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Vectorfisher
Joe Namath comes to mind

Joe Namath is the MOST overated quarterback in history!!! Bob Greise is a close second!!!
Just check his stats!!! and wins and losses!!!
His team won the most important super bowl and that the fact that he had a big mouth got him in the hall of fame!!!
By the way, Buddy Ryan's defense won that super bowl and NOT the Jets offense!!! and had Johny Unitas not been injured the game would have been a lot different!!!

Raider Ronnie
11-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton, Ken Stabler, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Joe Theisman, Roger Staubach, John Elway, Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Steve Young, Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner, Len Dawson,

Honorable Mention Who Are Also Better QB's Than Namath.....Steve Grogan, Dan Pastorini, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Jim Plunkett, Bob Griese....

Up And Comers Who Got It All Over Namath.....Brady, McNabb, Manning.......;)

Larry, thats a good list accept you left out a few great ones like
Jim Hart St. louis awesome q/back sucky team
Dan Fouts, another awesome q/back NO defense

BigFish
11-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Sorry Ron...I was trying to think of his name.....brain fart! Fouts was awesome! I got all your faves though I think! Gawd help me if I forgot Plunkett!:smash:

Raider Ronnie
11-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry Ron...I was trying to think of his name.....brain fart! Fouts was awesome! I got all your faves though I think! Gawd help me if I forgot Plunkett!:smash:

I loved Plunkett,
Boy my favorite was the origional "Mr Cool under pressure"
"Mr 2 minute drill"
"Mr come back"
" The Snake "
KENNY STABLER ;)
SHOULD BE IN THE DAMN HALL OF FAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:af:
But best of all time
Marino!!! Man I allways wished he played for the Raiders!!!

Mike P
11-29-2004, 08:52 PM

Bart Starr, YA Tittle, Sonny Jurgensen, John Hadl, Roman Gabriel, Daryl Lamonica from an earlier era.

And you might wanna re-think McMahon ;)

When you judge Namath, don't forget that his knees were shot before he ever took a snap in the pros. He had the quickest release ever, with the possible exception of Marino, and he could throw the ball 60 yards with his arm and wrist alone.

Mike P
11-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Did you really say Kurt Warner? :wall:

You don't get too many Jints games on the Tee-Vee up there, do ya :laughs:

Raider Ronnie
11-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Mike P
Bart Starr, YA Tittle, Sonny Jurgensen, John Hadl, Roman Gabriel, Daryl Lamonica from an earlier era.

And you might wanna re-think McMahon ;)

When you judge Namath, don't forget that his knees were shot before he ever took a snap in the pros. He had the quickest release ever, with the possible exception of Marino, and he could throw the ball 60 yards with his arm and wrist alone.

Good Call Mike P
Daryl Lamonica They didn't call him "The Mad Bomber" for nothing!!! One of the best deep ball passers ever!!!

28inches
11-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Otto Graham.

The Iceman 6
12-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Gotta go with Montana

Cod Hunter
12-03-2004, 03:41 PM
No one mentioned "Slingin" Sammy Baugh.

kippy
12-05-2004, 10:26 AM
What about %$%$%$%$%$ Collins?
:laughs:

Jim Plunkett's years with the Patriots, thats another :laughs:

kippy
12-05-2004, 10:27 AM
that would be %$%$%$%$%$ collins..

Raider Ronnie
12-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by kippy
What about %$%$%$%$%$ Collins?
:laughs:

Jim Plunkett's years with the Patriots, thats another :laughs:

Don't plame Jim for his years with the Pats,
Maybe a coach who knew about designing an offense around a quarterbacks talents would have worked back then for the pats, and not having a strong armed, statue of a quarterback run for his life!!!

Mike P
12-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Put Plunkett behind the line that Grogan had (Hannah, Grey et al) and give him Stanley Morgan, Darryl Stingley and Russ Francis to throw to instead of Randy Vataha and Harpo Gladieux, and he'd have been a Hall of Famer :D

Moose Nuckle
12-06-2004, 09:17 AM
:D

BigFish
12-06-2004, 09:28 AM
The 3 Horsemen?:laughs: