View Full Version : On the Water

rwilhelm
11-30-2004, 03:11 PM
Anyone see the article on the Big Eye Peanut and Big Eye Swimmer? Those look pretty sweet.

bart
11-30-2004, 03:15 PM
yeah those do look sweet......

CANAL RAT
11-30-2004, 03:28 PM
it looks like you dont realy need a lathe to make those. all you need is a rotary tool

partsjay
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Those do look pretty nice.:drool:

kippy
11-30-2004, 06:37 PM
I read that article..very nice plugs. Who thinks that the larger eyes make the difference?

Nebe
11-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by kippy
Who thinks that the larger eyes make the difference?
IMO, the motion, sillouete (sp?) and color makes a bigger difference. If a swimmer is cruising along the surface, the fish is going to see those 2 things first and orient its attack. A bass knows better to swallow a whole fish tail first so it has hit the head and doing so, the bass needs to get itself ahead of the plug. Have you ever had a bass hit a plug and have the line go slack?? I have never had that happen to me, instead there is an imediate tug, from teh bass hitting the plug head on. I bet the eyes are important when the bass comes in close... perhaps it will distract attention from hooks, I dunno :huh:

STRIPER77
11-30-2004, 06:55 PM
Eyes Are GOOD:happy: :happy: :happy:

TunaCell
11-30-2004, 07:03 PM
In my oppinion the eyes are one of the most important components on any lure because the largest and most distinctive mark on a bait species are its eyes.:eyes:

goosefish
11-30-2004, 07:07 PM
an alewife is nothing but two big eyes and some silver flash.

tynan19
11-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Those look great. Does he surf here. It said he was looking at a forum with a plug building section with a bunch of guys with to much time on their hands.
Sound like anyone here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BigFish
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
Backbeach Jake fished with him and introduced him to me and I hooked up with him and fished also....he gave me one of those Big Eye Peanuts and it is awesome! Great guy to fish with...just wish the fishing had been better.;) He is on "the other" site mostly but he said he checks in here from time to time.....to see who is naughty and who is nice!:laughs:

Skitterpop
11-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Met Labrador1 last year when he was down for a Cape trip from NY. Class act all the way.
I traded for a few of his sweet plugs then he gave me a couple more....look great and swim real nice...same as BigFish with the bass being not about at that time.

I like eyes!

Nice article Ryan!

PNG
11-30-2004, 09:04 PM
On a calm, bright day I had a XL bass swim next to my plug for some time. Plug had no eyes. Plug didn't end up in bass's mouth.

Previous (wx same) to this had a very similiar plug with GooGoo type eyes and they whaled on it.

To me, not being a fish, the only logical difference was the eyes.

One thing is certain fish dont read books... you need to do your own time OTW

Nice plugs in the article!

ragfly
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
I would like to talk to the guy. He said he has a favorite ledge in Southern Maine he fishes alot..... Hmmmm, I wonder if we stand on the same rock? I believe big eyes are definitely a plus!

Clogston29
12-01-2004, 07:33 AM
I personally feel more confident fishing a plug with eyes than one without. The fact that some bait fish have "false eye" markings near their tail to confuse predators leads me to beleive that the eyes must be pretty important. If this trait came about by evolution there must be a reason, right? I don't know but confidence definately makes a big difference so I'll take a plug with eyes anyday over one without. That being said, color and action are probably more important.

fishaholic18
12-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by goosefish
an alewife is nothing but two big eyes and some silver flash.

True. I think Big eyes make a huge difference.

Maine Jigman
12-01-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by ragfly
I would like to talk to the guy. He said he has a favorite ledge in Southern Maine he fishes alot..... Hmmmm, I wonder if we stand on the same rock? I believe big eyes are definitely a plus!

yup, big blue eyes, long lashes,,, blink blink:D

eyes can make a difference when fish have time to look.. IMO

Pete F.
12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by ragfly
That's my rock, or one of them. I was wondering the same thing. I'm thinking of a certain religous beach. Great article

JohnR
12-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Clogston29
The fact that some bait fish have "false eye" markings near their tail to confuse predators leads me to beleive that the eyes must be pretty important. If this trait came about by evolution there must be a reason, right?

Alert, Alert!!! Epiphany in the making! Wow, I never considered that very interesting thought before!

That's my rock, or one of them. I was wondering the same thing. I'm thinking of a certain religous beach. Great article Nuns the word...