View Full Version : eBay shill bidders

tlapinski
12-01-2004, 07:13 PM
i have some VERY strong suspicions that 3 guys on ebay are bidding up each other's prices. they are all from long island, which was my first tip. funny how when one of them wins another's auction, the same item gets relisted in a week or two. it pisses me off cause they have some good stuff to offer, but they are just not being honest about it. :af:

spence
12-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Wouldn't suprise me.

-spence

bassmaster
12-01-2004, 09:18 PM
super strike ,old gibbs, ect
I know what your talking about..................

Motor Fish
12-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I think I'm seeing the same thing. I've been trying to get this same rod for two weeks now, but the same guy has been outbidding at the last minute. Next day, same item up again. Going on 3 times now.

I could be wrong, haven't proven it yet, but I'm getting very suspicious. The seller is a dealer and maybe the same guy is buying up everything he sells, but it is starting to smell "fishy".

BigFish
12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Don't bid on his crap then...or report him to ebay. I see alot of the same thing T-Lap...its pretty irritating.:smash:

tlapinski
12-02-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by bassmaster
super strike ,old gibbs, ect
I know what your talking about.................. at least i'm not the only one to notice it. :af:

The Dad Fisherman
12-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Tell eBay about it.....They're pretty good about taking care of this kind of thing.

Bronko
12-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Tlap,

I have noticed the same thing. I think you are completely right. It is LI guys. I'm glad you confirmed my suspicions. People are unreal.:smash:

cheferson
12-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Bunch of people do that. My boss collected watches and would put them up on Ebay. He used 5 screen names to up his items.:eek:

iluvspots
12-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Pffffft.

Don't get mad.

Get even.

Start bidding up the prices under an account you don't care about and then screw them in the end.

Pete F.
12-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by iluvspots
Pffffft.

Don't get mad.

Get even.

Start bidding up the prices under an account you don't care about and then screw them in the end.
Won't work they are out less then if they win their own auction.

Fish_n_Dive
12-02-2004, 06:12 PM
report them to ebay:af:

tlapinski
12-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Fish_n_Dive
report them to ebay:af: just tried. the link was dead. :smash:

FishermanTim
12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
bid an enormous amount and then "forget " to reply when you "win" the item.
"Ooops, I forgot!"

vineyardblues
12-05-2004, 01:32 PM
toby, you will not get any place with ebay. sad to say.
trust me :)

ebay gets paid no matter who wins it and if it go's back up 3 times , guess what, they get paid 3 times

They are whay to huge to help out the little guy

vb

rob-s
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
i bet i could tell you the handle of the exact guys your talking about:smash:

jugstah
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
leave some negative feedback in their thread after you "win" the item, and say you feel that they have been running up the price so that others can see for themselves and avoid these merchants,

MAC
12-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by vineyardblues
toby, you will not get any place with ebay. sad to say.
trust me :)

ebay gets paid no matter who wins it and if it go's back up 3 times , guess what, they get paid 3 times

They are whay to huge to help out the little guy

vb

So true. I won't deal with them anymore. Even though they are the biggest game in town their prices are really getting up there.

Newboater
12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
E-Bay is great. I love it when you bid a couple of times just before the bidding ends and very quickly another bid higher comes in. So you bid again. Well I have my limits so I stop bidding. The auction ends. Oh Well, I lost.

Next day I get an email from the seller. Hey, the other bidder backed out. I can give you the item at your last bid.

Ho Ho Mo Fo. I lost and it's staying that way. Relist sometime in the future.

Lee

marky1
12-26-2004, 01:45 AM
I always wondered about that,....having somebody you know helping in on the bidding price. it seems like Ebay can be a little sneaky,when you find out what the highest bid is...you bid higher,come to find out ,you were out-bidded. Ebay will not tell you EVERYTHING....found out the hard way!:rocketem:

winchmaster
01-04-2005, 01:00 AM
I used to win a ton of bids when I started, Since I rarely bid anymore I'll let you in on some secrets.
If you learn the tricks of the trade you will win more bids than you ever could imagine. Getting into a bidding war is foolish.
Here are some simple rules to follow.

Rule #1
Figure what you would pay to have that item and never bid higher. Don't think cheap think what it is worth..

Rule#2.
Never bid on an item on ebay, use a service to bid for you.

Rule# 3
There are automated services on the net that will bid for you in the last seconds of the auction. Your not trying to out bid or snipe s inomeone your just making sure you leave no trail or leads for others to bid you up..

Rule#4
Set your automated bid at what you think its worth and forget about it. If you think it's worth more then you should of bid that amount in the first place.

Rule#5
If you win you win, if you don't you don't.

All this leads up to on how to beat guys who snipe or shill bet for someone else to cost you more. There is also a way to trace certain buyers who bid on things you do. That is why you never bid on something through E-bay as e-bay makes it so easy for someone else to track what your interested in. You do all the leg work and they just find out what your bidding on and follow your ellectronic tracks.