View Full Version : OWNER Power Point 4X treble hooks

Water Treater
12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Anybody have any experience with Owner 4X Power Point treble hooks? They are recommended in the book "Striper Chronicles".

I've been replacing factory hooks with VMC 4X trebles but the VMC hooks corrode quickly. Are the Owner 4X Power Point trebles less prone to corrosion? Anyone have first hand experience with Owner brand treble hooks?

Nebe
12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
the owner trebbles are probably the best trebble you can get... however, they rust faster than VMC's...

Mr. Sandman
12-06-2004, 10:47 PM
I have never used the trebles but the circles hold up nice.

Nebe
12-07-2004, 12:00 AM
another thing about the Owners are the shanks... talk about a macho hook... i dont think it would be humanly possible to straighten out one of these. they must be like 7x but the tips are razor sharp. I have them on a few custom plugs i throw, but i dont think it would be worth buying hundreds of them.... big $$$

Water Treater
12-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info, guys!

Mr. Sandman
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
I just looked them up. ...they ain't cheap like...1.50 or so each or 5 for 8 bucks....They look like a good choice for some of these custom plugs or with that short shank I can see using them on my megabait plastic JB150's. 4X. I am not a big fan of a "tinned" finish. they are shiny and they will rust. I like that coating they have on their circles hooks I wonder why they cant put that on trebles? the largest size is 5/0.

The habatat team is now using what looks like 6X VMC with triple rings and 400# spro's...IMO that should stop the problems caused by 50# braid and graphite composite rods.

The question is ....Do you really want an expensive hook to last forever OR do you want a strong less expensive hook you replace a couple times a season?
While it would bve nice to have a hook last forever...we all know at they get dull and sometimes beatup and need touch up or replacement...in the time it takes to repair a hook you could replace it with new. IMO the only place you want a hook that lasts "forever" (or as long as possible) is one where there is a quality bucktail or hackle tied on it. I tend to use stainless for my tail hooks (with bucktail or feathers) just cause they don't rust and they look nice...(yes they are harder to keep sharp but the tail stays nice cause the hook doesn't rust) . BUT I use VMC's otherwise and replace them as needed. Buy a few boxes of various sizes each season. They are not *that* expensive when purchased this way, they don't go bad in the box and they are pretty darn strong. Get yourself a pair split ring pliers and your all set.

That said, I like to check out the new stuff...so I will order a few of the owners and give them a shot this season.

One thing I did this year was to really wash off my plugs and let them hang dry outside and not put them away until they are really dry. The hooks lasted much longer without rusting. Teh still corroded but not nearly as fast as when they were left in a wet surf bag. IMO hooks that caught fish rusted MUCH faster then hooks that just saw water. I think there is some acids in the fish that are corrosive to the hook.

Water Treater
12-07-2004, 12:28 PM
After use I promptly rinse my lures in fresh water and hang them up to dry not just to mimimize corrosion of hooks but also to extend the life of the saddle hackle I use to dress hooks. I'm a big fan of feathered hooks. I use saddle hackle on many of my surf lures and on most of my hard bodied trolling lures. The feathers retain their shape if promptly rinsed and dried.

You are correct that hooks that have been in the mouths of fish corrode more quickly. I think it's because the tin/cadmium sacrificial coating gets abraded (worn away) by teeth and other rough surfaces in the mouths of bluefish and striped bass . Once the integrity of the sacrificial cadmium/tin coating is disturbed and the underlying carbon steel is exposed, corrosion has a field day. I know a little bit about corrosion. I earn a living trying to control it.

I'm going to try some of the pricey Owner 4X Power Point trebles next year.

Thanks again for your comments.

Bill

UserRemoved1
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Bill one of the things we've found with the permasteel finish is that it's very susceptible to corrosion when it's paired with certain other metals. I've seen this problem with 304 annealed wire and others. Looks to be a disimilar metal reaction happening.

Owner hooks...yep wicked sharp hooks, almost should be outlawed they are so sharp...but with the metal they use it is very very hard....and with hardness comes durability...namingly brittleness. I've had alot of owner hooks broken over the years and refuse to use them anymore because of this. they don't bend they just snap....and always when you have a real nice fish on....

Water Treater
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.

I've had stainless steel Siwash hooks break while closing their open rings and as a result I don't buy open ringed stainless steel hooks anymore. Too brittle.

I've never had a carbon steel hook snap. You obviosly have a lot more experience than me.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

woodbutcher
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
WT, eagle claw L208ss you can open and close the eyes a few times and the're still good, way better than mustad 9510xxxs. can be real hard to find. Seattle Marine, seamar.com, has them.

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2004, 02:21 PM
More hook ramblings...

Eagle claw use to make a very good SS treble hook as well. I bought a box or two of 100 a long time ago and still have a few left. I have not seen them for sale in years and have lost the box and the hook number. They were expensive but held up. I only snapped one of them. The eyes were closed. I use to used them as replacements on the Gibbs swimmer plugs which had very poor hooks at the time. a 20#er would strighten them out easy using mono line. The EC SS treble hooks caught A LOT of fish for me.

I know a lot of guys don't like stainless...and they have good reasons.

A) they will snap before they bend very much
B) they will not rust out in a fishes mouth as fast.
C) expensive
D) hard to sharpen
E) Get one thru your hand (or worse) and you have real problems unless you have a good bolt cutter on board.

All that said, it takes A LOT more to bring them to the breaking point then bending a standard hook and they don't rust. And until cheaper and pretty darn strong VMC's came out that was the way I went. I hate seeing a plug come back with the hooks straightened. I would rather loose the entire rig...but that is just me.

the standard VMCs are pretty good, they will open up a little but not all the way I have found...they will break too if you force them. The 6X must be awesome I have never tried them but look forward to,**For the money** these are probably the way most serious fisherman should go IMO.VMC I think has found the right quality/$ in a hook. A little more corrsion improvements and they could dominate the hook market. Too bad they are French made..:af:

I still like having a good supply of SS hooks in my box and on several plugs.
I have one plug that I made that is 100% stainless steel. It is a small SS pipe that I have HD SS split rings and SS small double tuna hooks. When a bluefish bites this he breaks his frigging teeth off. The hardest thing was drilling thru the pipe.

But as I said, the best thing about SS hooks is that the hackle and bucktail always look nice and they can take abuse with a pair of pliers.

That is the first time I have seen the EC 208ss I will try them. I have been using the mustads SS with pretty good success

BTW, does anyone even make a SS treble anymore?

Water Treater
12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks Mr. Sandman and Wood Butcher.

Your observations and advice are greatly appreciated.

I like to experiment and I'll try the Eagle Claw hooks you suggested. I don't like to lose a fish to a bent hook, in spite of the fact that I release everything I catch. I want to be the one to release my catch, not my lure.

Thanks again, guys.

Bill

CANAL RAT
12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
owner hooks are more for fly tying. get VMC or gamakatsu for plugs

RIROCKHOUND
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM
The owner trebbles that he asked about are definetly NOT for fly tying Rat, in fact I cant justify the cost of em, (1.50 a hook!) but if I was going to chase Giant Trevelly, rooster fish etc with plugs, they would have these owners on them...
Also, IMHO gami trebbles suck compared to VMC;s, and my 3x mustads, while thick and ungainly are a solid hook.... I still use them alot on needles and poppers....

Water Treater
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
I troll 6-inch Cedar Plugs (tuna lures) that I modify by drilling and through-wiring and equipping with a single feathered hooks. I use these lures for striped bass when toothy bluefish will not allow me to troll soft plastic baits.

Two years ago I had the bass of a lifetime hit one of these lures (I hold my fishing rod while trolling; the strike nearly ripped my arm out of its socket) and in less than 10 seconds this bass straightened a size 7/0 Mustad hook Model 34007. After that episode I switched all my hooks to heavy duty hooks. Today most of the single hooks I use are small size (i.e. 5/0) shark and tuna hooks.

I pay $ 1.87 per hook for a Mustad Model 7731 Sea Demon hook (tinnned), size 5/0. Worth every penny. I don't want to lose another trophy fish to a straightened hook.

CANAL RAT
12-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RIROCKHOUND
The owner trebbles that he asked about are definetly NOT for fly tying Rat, in fact I cant justify the cost of em, (1.50 a hook!) but if I was going to chase Giant Trevelly, rooster fish etc with plugs, they would have these owners on them...
Also, IMHO gami trebbles suck compared to VMC;s, and my 3x mustads, while thick and ungainly are a solid hook.... I still use them alot on needles and poppers....

i ment that owner makes good single fly hooks not so much trembles they are too much $$$ to repalce a couple times a year and buy for all your plugs