View Full Version : 12V air pump

Van
12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Been trying to find an air pump I can rig with my new bait tank on the boat, I figure if I inject some air into the well with the biat pump running I could keep bait very lively.

I'm thinking almost like an aquarium pump, but 12VDC.

Anyone seen a basic pump like that?

BEETLE
12-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Van, How about one of those small 12 V air compressors we use on our vehicles or around the house with an aerator stone at the end ???

beamie
12-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Van, Why don't you look at one of these aerators. I don't have one but am thinking about one. Especially for when I bring live Macs into a brackish river. They don't like that for long. But if I just airate the saltwater after going up the river I figure that will be best.

http://www.livebaitlarry.com/aerator_pumps.asp

Van
12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Guys.

Beetle, I think that kind of compressor will over heat, aren't they are meant for pressure not volume. How about operating at sea?
This needs to be some kind of marine applicatoin pump.

I was looking into Live BL website, I dont want to add a pump inside the tank cause the bait will get hung up on it.
Its an oval tank and will only have a small elbow inlet at the very bottom. No where for fish to get stuck.

One thing I did see are battery (D-Cell) operated aerators, but I think the ocean conditions would make short work of those.

BEETLE
12-08-2004, 02:44 PM
If you have plenty of water circulation (ie: Rule 1100) with a 30 or so gallon tank, there may not be a need for aeration.

Van
12-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by BEETLE
If you have plenty of water circulation (ie: Rule 1100) with a 30 or so gallon tank, there may not be a need for aeration.

This is possible, since its a new set-up, I don't know how it will work, but there will be LOTS of water flow.
If it seems the bait doesnt get enough O2, I could try the 10 battery powered one and see if it helps.

Winter project...;)

Hooper
12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Van-

I have that aerator set up to which Jon posted the link. It works very well providing lots and lots of bubbles. I've kept herring alive all day in my tank without issue.

I hear what you're saying about bait being hung up, but it hasn't really been an issue. A pretty good product.

Raider Ronnie
12-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Van,
I do't think an air pump will be needed with the pump you are going to use to supply the water in.
Just make sure the water comes in the bottom of the tank .
Ronnie

quick decision
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Van, are you looking to ad a pump to your built in tank from proline, or are you adding a tank to the boat?

Van
12-09-2004, 08:57 AM
QD:

Heres what I did. Yes, I have the built in tank which is small (square) and ran off of wash down pump. Wash downs are not made for continuous duty and are loud. So I got the rule pump (in pic) which has a through port for the wash down and a second port which is pumped at 1100 GPH to wherever. (This allows not having to make a second through hull fitting.)

So what I did was disconnect the wash down from the built in tank and left it just as a washdown hose with nozzle. This connected to the through port of the new pump.

Then I took the live well 1100 feed and piped it with a tee and valve to the built in tank. That got me through last season. This winter I am buying an oval tank 40 gal which I'll use when needed, and I'll pipe it from the tee that will be 1" to the bottom of the new tank. It will just overflow into the well or over the transom.

If Ronnie is right, at that flow I may not need to add more air, but I'm not sure.

In the new pic of the new pump, through hull connects at bottom, the female fitting is for washdown, and the barbed fitting is the pump itself 1100gph.

beamie
12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Van,

Ronnie is right. You definately will not need an aerator with that 1100 pump. That is plenty.

But in my situation, living on the North River, with the awesome fishing in late May. If it has rained alot the bracish is tough on the Macs and Pollack. So if you do any fishing far enough up the Back River, Town River or any river I think it would be $50 well spent.

I think I will get one.

I also am looking at a 40 Oval tank. I now use a 32 Gallon Rough Neck, which actually works great. I really want a 50 Gal oval but cannot find one. Have you seen any?

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I have two live wells in my boat one bait one for big fish. Both have these rule style pumps and a drain (or pump) to Overboard. But there is a fitting inside the tank that when twisted allows you at adjust some level of air injection. It works OK not great. But IMO just pump new water in and let it drain ob...its better then bubbles. I have kept any fish alive in these tanks. (included big fish)...

Raider Ronnie
12-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Van,
If you don't already, put a scoop/ w strainer for the thru hull so the water gets pulled in when under way.

MakoMike
12-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Van,
If you want to add air, just put a venturi nosel on the end, it'll suck air into the water stream.

Van
12-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Thanks Ronnie: Before the season starts I'll add a strainer. I think I can just screw it to the hull over the round end of the T-Hull. I should not have to mess with the T-Hull fitting itself.

Didn't you say you had trouble with the pump overloading (breaker popped) because of too much pressure underway?

Mako..Venturi nozzle ???? What ?? Where ??? How??
WIll it restrict flow?

Beamie, The biggest oval I could find for short $$ was 40 gal.
Check this link, they have many types, some 50 but round.

http://www.aquaworld-products.com/products.html

BEETLE
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
venturi pic - Also got a link to blem livewells from kodiak or Todd marine. Have to wait till i get home and find the bookmark Van.

Mr. Sandman
12-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Van

I did see are battery (D-Cell) operated aerators, but I think the ocean conditions would make short work of those.

Been there done that...waste of time. Even bought a second one after the first one broke for the kids to take to the beach to keep there little fish they netted alive...only works a couple times then the pump #^&#^&#^&#^&sthebed. just plastic junk that does not hold up.

Van
12-10-2004, 03:15 PM
BEETLE, I have those links. Those tanks are $$$ and are piped to small, I got 1" inlet.

Sandman thanks,

WHen I build this baby I'll post pics...

ProfessorM
12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Most everything has been covered so far. I use a 55 gal. plastic drum cut down to about 40 or so gals. I do not leave this well in the boat unless I am fishing live bait. I use a transom mounted rule pump. I also use a rule mount. It is a big livewell so I like it is removable. When under way the pump wil not pick up the water
but the mount helps with this situation.
It is tilted so when underway water is forced up the hose into the livewell. You can snap the pump in and out so when you are not using it you just disconnect it and it is gone. I am a machinist so I made all the fittings and hose connections myself but most could be bought at Home Cheapo. I usually use the well for herring. I don't even run the pump all the time. I have a cycle switch which goes on for a few min. and then shuts off. Those herring do not have to have areation all the time. Just the fresh sea water every few min. seems good enough. Other species of bait might need additional areation. The main problem I had was how to get the excess h2o overboard. I used two 2" exit hoses and was lucky to be high enough to go over the transom. I can hold 30 or 40 herring no problem. Hope it helps. P.M.

BEETLE
12-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Van checked the Kodiak site 37 Gal. blem tank - $275. shipped. :eek:

Now you got me thinking --- with the spring herring ---- and a jacuzzi in the master bath that never gets used......... hmmmmm:think:

ProfessorM
12-10-2004, 05:11 PM
That is expensive just to fish herring. You can get a plastic drum for 20 bucks and make your own. Those livewells are nice but herring don't need that much comfort. You can save a lot of cash doing it yourself. Just my opinion. I am cheap. P.M.

Raider Ronnie
12-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Van
Thanks Ronnie: Before the season starts I'll add a strainer. I think I can just screw it to the hull over the round end of the T-Hull. I should not have to mess with the T-Hull fitting itself.

Didn't you say you had trouble with the pump overloading (breaker popped) because of too much pressure underway?

Mako..Venturi nozzle ???? What ?? Where ??? How??
WIll it restrict flow?

Beamie, The biggest oval I could find for short $$ was 40 gal.
Check this link, they have many types, some 50 but round.

http://www.aquaworld-products.com/products.html

Van,
The problem I had, was I used my boats pre/wired circuit (only 15 amps) no way near enough amps for a 3200 gph
pump !!!:laughs:
I changed it to a 40 amp circuit and no problems after that!!!

BEETLE
12-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Quote by R-Ronnie

"The problem I had, was I used my boats pre/wired circuit (only 15 amps) no way near enough amps for a 3200 gph pump"

Ron's livewell also serves as an on board whirlpool for four when the fishing gets slow. :D

Raider Ronnie
12-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Quote by R-Ronnie

"The problem I had, was I used my boats pre/wired circuit (only 15 amps) no way near enough amps for a 3200 gph pump"

Ron's livewell also serves as an on board whirlpool for four when the fishing gets slow. :D ;)

Moose Nuckle
12-11-2004, 09:24 AM
His boat could be a fire boat!!

Van
12-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Moose Nuckle
His boat could be a fire boat!!

Calculate the volume inside the boat and an unattended pump running at 3200GPH into her.

It should sink in about 13.34 minutes !!!!!:smash: :smash: ;)

Van
12-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Ron's livewell also serves as an on board whirlpool for four when the fishing gets slow. :D

Oh my god, i just got this mental picture of skinny ronnie and 3 robust members of team AVE. All jammed into an onboard jacuzzi.

Gonna need some LUBE here !!!!!!!!!!!;) ;) ;) :laughs: :laughs:

:yak: :yak:

Raider Ronnie
12-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Van
Oh my god, i just got this mental picture of skinny ronnie and 3 robust members of team AVE. All jammed into an onboard jacuzzi.

Gonna need some LUBE here !!!!!!!!!!!;) ;) ;) :laughs: :laughs:

:yak: :yak:

:eek:
Van,
The fishing doesn't get slow with Team Ave Maria!!!;)
So , no time for that !!!