View Full Version : triple OBs...is this where we are headed?

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Looking thru my holiday edition of the Fisherman last night (any my SWS and Soundings magizines:hee: ) I can't help but noticing more and more boats with triple OB's. In some cases quads. In one extreme case this past summer I saw a photo of a 45' center console with 6 big mercs on there. (it went 90 mph)

Many of you know how I feel about OBs (no matter who makes them). But I can't imagine triple OB's being offered by a manufacture of a production boat. To me it makes no sense. The cost, reliability fuel and long life issuses alone make no sence to me. And i like to cruise fast but there has got to be a better way.

We all have our dream boats, unrealistic dreamboats (65' rybo's with penthouse centerfold as deckhands) and the "some-day" boats that you actaully stand a shot at owning. But I just can't concieve of ever owning a boat with more then 2 obs hanging off the back.

While I was doing reseach on a "some-day" boat for me (32 mirage PH ) I came accross a captain that was buying one and he has owned more boats then you can imagine. Anyway he gave a detailed accounting of many of these boats...pros and cons and even had and excell spreadsheet with all the important items ranked and weighted for each boat he was considering. In his description he talked about triple OB's and how they were the cats ass for making the FL to Bahama runs....The main reason you need them is a loaded 33+' CC with twin 225 4strokes simply don't go that fast, you need 3 of them. 3 of them drink a lot of fuel and the initial cost and maintainece and upgrade cost just don't make sence to me.

As CC boats get bigger is this the direction we are headed? I hope not. I hold out a lof of promise for the new electronic controlled diesels that don't cost much more then a big OB. Personally, I would like to see more boats in the 23-34 class with these engines instead of OB's.

just my 2 cents.

beamie
12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Sandman,

Well said, can't agree with you more. I don't where some of these people get the money to afford some of these boats:confused: And if you could afford like you said, that's more fuel and maintenance. Triple Trouble.

Billybob
12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Personally, I'd never do it even if I was rich. But it's easy to understand Sandman, SPEED - simple as that.
It seems like the rich are getting richer and the rest of us are getting poorer.
I know a guy that had a Hinckley CC built. What a beautiful boat, but give me a break. It's too pretty to fish, the guy doesn't even fish, so why does he need a CC? It's just a toy, and money is no object.
There are people like that - depressing.

ScottM
12-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Sandman,
I also agree with your thoughts on the subject, but here is my take on the triple OB thing: most of the big CCs are built down south where the SKA is a big deal. These guys like to go fast and be fairly comfortable doing it, which means a bigger boat. A lot of these guys also tow their rigs along the tourney trail. You just couldn't do that as easily with an inboard setup due to additional draft and weight. As long as the demand is there for these boats, the mfgs will keep adding more OBs to the transom to keep the customer happy.

IMO, the used market is saturated with these boats mainly because the teams are sponsored by both boat and OB mfg, so they get a new rig every couple seasons. Ever see the classified section of the SKA/ASA magazine?

BTW, check out the Topaz 24 (former Silverhawk). They're offering the boat in either straight IB (gas and diesel) or bracketed OB. I really like the IB version.

Ron in Maine
12-09-2004, 12:06 PM
Whadda ya mean, no penthouse deckhands???? It could happen.... couldn't it?

Vectorfisher
12-09-2004, 04:21 PM
If you ask me 2 outboards is one too many! These guys will all argue twins are better offshore etc, etc. I say Blah blah blah buy Sea Tow's premier insurance and you wont have twice as many parts to repair and or maintain ;) Lets face it after a few years one of the two will always need something tweaked.

Gotofish
12-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Thankfully, I don't think that triple outboards will be a force in the industry. It's basically supply and demand-like Scott said, there's a demand for those boats down south and fortunately people have the money to pay for the boats and they're maintence and fuell costs.. I think the majority of (I could be wrong here) the boating market is made up of people that aren't able to afford the upkeep and gas of a boat with triple's. So while the go fast center consoles of the world get a lot of picture time in the magazines and on the SKA trail, I would much rather have a boat like the Silverhawk or a Mako with an inboard diesel. I haven't seen to many go-fast fishing boats up here, has anyone else?

Trayder
12-09-2004, 05:33 PM
I dissagree with some points here

and agree on others

On a 34+ CC you would be foolish not to get 3 outboards

reason being

1st- fact is some boats get better if not equal milage with trips than twins. http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=284705 3 outboards will not work as hard as twins pushing a big boat.

2nd- if you have twins and incur a failure on one engine there is no way in heck a single will get a larger CC 34+ boat up on plane. Case in point this past summer good friend onboard a 34 Venture that lost one engine at the edge took 14 hours to make it back to port on the single...thats a bad trip fortunatly the weather was great.

I do agree these boats make little sense in the NE as our weather is so unpredictable.

no matter what it does means 3X the maintenence

Gettiing insurance is tough and expensive

Fish On
12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Vectorfisher,

I have 1 outboard, but would much rather have 2. I don't want to rely on Seatow to get me if my engine goes down especially if bad weather is on the way. I would want my boat to be able to plane out on 1 engine but even if it couldn't a running engine will keep me pointed into rough seas, keep my batteries charged, bilge pumping, radio and electronics working, etc.

If I stay in this game and I hope to. My next boat will have 2 engines. If I can afford it, they will be inboard diesels. at least that's how i feel about it right now.

Good thread Sandman. Stay warm....

MTC
12-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I agree with the 3 OB thing. I love my twin IB'b... 22KTS burning 7GPG on a 8,000 lb 25' boat.

One problem.... fishing near the rocks like I do... Just ask my rudders... I need running geat I can tilt. So...... I'm selling the old ride for a 4 stroke ob. Have my eyes on a Corsair powercat with twin 4 stroke 90hp Hondas. Its a 45mph ride that sipps gas and the draft with the engines up is 14" The twin hulls cut chop like a knife and the deck area is huge!

UserRemoved1
12-10-2004, 06:33 AM
Jim first one I ever seen was 2 years ago on my spot on Nomans....Contender with 2 guys and 3 outboards I said holy chit when I seen it. Then around that time you started seeing more and more advertising like that. too much.

Rip Runner
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Trayder,

You stole my thunder, those are the exact reasons triples are installed on 34 plus center consoles. There's far less stress pushing a 10,000 pound plus boat on plane with 3 engines than it does on 2 and the fuel consumption is actually better in many cases if the boat is being run hard - 50+mph.
I fished a 38 fountain last year in the OB Monster Shark Tournament. We lost a lower unit on the starboard motor about 40 miles south of the Vineyard. If we didn't have triples, we would have come home on one motor at 8 mph, instead we headed home on 2 engines with top speeds just under 50mph. It's an odd feeling sceaming by boats with one engine trimmed totaly out of the water.
I also think with 4 strokes getting bigger, 275HP, and soon to come 300HP, it may reduce the amount of triple engines we see.

Hooper
12-12-2004, 07:47 AM
To each his own. I look at the SeaVee website quite often, one of my favortie center console builders (www.seaveeboats.com). They can build diesels into any of their boats 29' and up. To me, that is a perfect world!

Just the initial cost alone would keep me from building a boat like that and putting OB's on the back of it! Diesel make far greater sense to me.

12-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I think this is the reason you see bigger and faster outboards being introduced each season. In the near future you may see more engines based on Mercury's verado which uses smaller displacement with supercharging to create high hp.

My guess is 350-hp supercharged motors are probably in the near future.

Van
12-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 179
I think this is the reason you see bigger and faster outboards being introduced each season. In the near future you may see more engines based on Mercury's verado which uses smaller displacement with supercharging to create high hp.

My guess is 350-hp supercharged motors are probably in the near future.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

WHen that verado is tweeked after a couple of seasons, its gonna change the way we look at all OBs.
I have loved mercs since day One !!!!! Super precision in manufacturing.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Mr. Sandman
12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
time will tell....

I don't thing supercharging is the way to go on an AL block 4 stroke. Way to many moving parts. I'd take a 400hp yanmar turning 1/3 the rpms and burning a lot less fuel.

IMO They can't hold up over time without a lot of maintence.

BTW what does a 275 verado cost ?

quick decision
12-12-2004, 07:08 PM
I have to laugh because I'm watcing thr OBST as i wright this. Got to love tebo. I saw a fountain a couple times, was that yours? I hope you did not quitr fishing when the motor went.

Mr. Sandman
12-14-2004, 11:06 AM
While reseaching a boat I am interested in the designer said I should read this article... While not 100% directly related to this thread I found a couple on the web and thought it might be interesting to post it here...

it came from Professional BoatBuilder Magazine

http://www.geocities.com/nava38_2/twinengines.html

Hooper
12-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Good read Sandman.

I think the article is right on the money. Unless money is no object and outrageous "SKA-type speed" is the main focus, give me a well built and well maintained single any day.

I'd sure love to take a ride on a 36' Yellowfin with triples tho!;)