View Full Version : Captain reeled in with Tuna

fishsmith
12-10-2004, 07:11 AM
I heard this on the radio this morning:

- MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. - A fisherman discovered an empty boat cruising off the North Carolina coast with its harpoon line in the water. When he reeled in the line, he found a live bluefin tuna speared on the end - and the captain's entangled body.

The captain, Bruce Bartlett of South Plainfield, N.J., apparently harpooned the fish, then got his left leg caught in the 200-foot line, Coast Guard officials said. When the tuna swam away, Bartlett was pulled into the ocean off Morehead City on Tuesday and drowned. Bartlett was a commercial fisherman who traveled up and down the coast, Guard officials said. He was alone in the 35-foot boat, named Flat Calm, fighting a fish that can weigh from 200 to 500 pounds.

"They're not easy to handle by yourself," said Ensign Andy Greenwood of the Coast Guard.

- Raleigh News and Observer

kevin d
12-10-2004, 07:51 AM
If I recall correctly, that is how Capt. Ahab met his demise.

Fly Rod
12-10-2004, 07:51 AM
:) Should always have a knife strapped to your body!!! That fella fished out of Cape Ann a lot in the summers and pursued tuna here!!!! some of the fellas at the coffee shop knew of him!!!;) :cool:

fishsmith
12-10-2004, 08:07 AM
How do you stick tuna on your own?
Autopilot and and head to the pulpit or is there a remote control?

Gloucester2
12-10-2004, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fishsmith
[B]How do you stick tuna on your own?

Very carefully . . ..

Shawn B
12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I read on another board today that the Capt had just fired his mate the day before...that is why he was fishing by himself. What a shame.