View Full Version : utah flyfisherman coming east

Fishguts
05-09-2001, 11:46 PM
First off, I am thrilled to fish for salt water species. I spent the better part of my youth chasing blues and stripers up and down the atlantic seaboard. While living in the west I have converted to flyfishing and cant wait to hook into something with some shoulders. I have an eight weight rod with DT line. The question I have is this. I think that I will be allright with the rod but have some concern with the DT line. oh by the way it is floating. Do I need weight foward or a shooting would you suggest sinking or floating? what I am hoping is to come up with an all around line. Most likely I will be fishing flats and who knows where else. Also I am looking to tye up some flys any suggested paterns, if so what sizes and colors. I will be in the area the end of may I dont know if that narrows it down any. Well any suggestions would be helpful thanks

Jaiem
05-10-2001, 07:36 AM
Hi.

Your 8wt is a bit light but if the conditions are good you can use it. But definately get a saltwater weight-forward line, either floating or intermediate. Cortland lines are relatively inexpensive and good.

BTW, if you're going to fish with a guide he'll have rods for you. A good chance to try different types of saltwater setups and see how leaders etc are rigged.

Good luck!

saltydog
05-10-2001, 05:52 PM
if you live in the METRO WEST stop in at the shop an Ill let you try out a few.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"

Fishguts
05-10-2001, 11:24 PM
thanks for the information I appreciate it. so any ideas on patterns? I have a few clowsers and a couple of other patterns, what patterns would you suggest any paticular colors or sizes. is there any bait in the water that I should be trying to immitate.

Jaiem
05-11-2001, 08:09 AM
Fishguts - WHat time of year are you coming our way?

In the spring typically smaller patterns are used. Summer sees small and medium patterns, and fall medium to large flies are used.

Clousers, deceivers and various naturals all work. Depends on where you fish and any bait in the area. Colors can be "standard" such as yellow/white, olive/white, all white, black or yellow, and of course chartreuse. You can get fancier but these are typicall all-around colors.

Fishguts
05-11-2001, 09:24 AM
hey Jaiem
thanks for the infomation.
I will be in the area the twenty third of may through the twenty ninth. The tides looked pretty good for those days and fortunatly my schedule worked out. My family is from the framingham area so there is no limit to where I will fish. In the past I have done a lot of fishing up in plumb island I have also fished Rhode Island in the past. it seems as though clousers are a popular pattern I found a couple of sights last night and have begun tying some patterns. so do you think the sand eels will be in that soon ?

Jaiem
05-11-2001, 09:39 AM
Should be some sand eels around. But even not don't let that stop you.

wellfleet on the fly
05-12-2001, 08:58 AM
Fishguts (05-10-2001 00:46):I would recommend you use at least an intermediate line, and possibly a fast sink if you plan to fish where there may be a current working. A floating line will not get you to where the fish are, particularly if there is any current.
First off, I am thrilled to fish for salt water species. I spent the better part of my youth chasing blues and stripers up and down the atlantic seaboard. While living in the west I have converted to flyfishing and cant wait to hook into something with some shoulders. I have an eight weight rod with DT line. The question I have is this. I think that I will be allright with the rod but have some concern with the DT line. oh by the way it is floating. Do I need weight foward or a shooting would you suggest sinking or floating? what I am hoping is to come up with an all around line. Most likely I will be fishing flats and who knows where else. Also I am looking to tye up some flys any suggested paterns, if so what sizes and colors. I will be in the area the end of may I dont know if that narrows it down any. Well any suggestions would be helpful thanks