View Full Version : Block Island "Vs" Nap's

BNolan
10-18-2001, 07:58 PM
Well, Well,Well, Its fall, Decisions,Decisions????

I know I have been out off the loop for One whole season(That will change next year) One thing that doesnt Change much is fishing spots! Once you get them down and develop a pattern over the years you can almost set your clock as too where the stripers will be and when.I could be locked up in a vault for five years and still catch just as many fish when Im let out.Certain places hold bass year after year, sure, some years are better than others but overall it all works out in the wash.

I dont know who is telling what and what spots are being kept secret and so forth and so on, I dont care too much about that stuff anymore.You can lead a horse to water but not teach him to drink,same with fishing spots, just cause a guy tells you where to go doesnt mean you will score! Thats only half the battle,you still need to know currents,winds,tides and what tide stages hold most fish and what winds in combination with all the other meteorlogical circumstances will give you the best chance at landing a trophy bass!

Now back to BIvsNap's. If you asked me which place is better in 1987 I would not hesitate to tell you to get on the ferry in october and head to the Island.But, Not anymore! The past few years out on the block have been awefull in the fall.Now, Im not saying there isnt fish, there are all the fish you want just not monsters, the average fall fish as of late on the Island has been anywhere from 12 to 18lbs.With all the numbers you want! I dont know about you guys but , When that chill wind of fall comes My mind thinks of fish in the 30lb and up class.All spring and summer I have caught plenty of the little guys, the fall for me has always been about big Bass! If I fish all night and only end up with two fish but, those two fish are in the high 30lb range,Im as happy as a fly on you know what!Simply put,the Block does not have the bait(sandeels) that it did years back.

Everyone complains about the walk out to naps, whine, whine, whine!! I will tell you this, I HAVE NEVER EVER,EVER Went out there on the right conditions in the late fall and got Skunked! NEVER! In fact, most nights I was rewarded with many,many large bass in 25 to 35lb range for upwards of two weeks straight! My 53lb fish came from naps on October 28th, that night Joe flips and I Had fish all to our selves for 3 hours anywhere from 18 pounds up to my 50.The very next night I fished with tim Coleman(Ex Editor of the "fisherman mag") He landed 2 fish in the 40 pound range which I landed for him, and I had a few in the high 20's.On the 3rd night my partner in crime Steve Mckenna Landed a 48lb bass and I dropped another horse!

Is it worth the walk??? Uhhhhhhhh,Yupppppp!

JeffH,AND I had a season a few years back where we were bumping into one another frequently on the way in and out of naps, He would land multiple fish in the 20 and 30lb range and I would have similar stories! Hey jeff! Im sure you remember that year!

The best part was that we both had the place to ourselves almost all that fall, the only other stick out there was tim coleman.

Tips? Here is my suggestion, Dont ever go out there with anything exept live eels or rigged eels.Leave the plugs at home.Fish the low water and get out as far as you can on the stones.Pay particular attention to change over to flood on the northwest side of the point.On your way out ALWAYS toss an eel or a plug out in front of the first osprey pole to keep it honest.Pay attention to the begining of an easterly wind.Always fish there in a northwest wind if you can. One other thing, the moon has absoulutly no effect on the place so dont worry about it.If you see a tall guy with a watchcap on his head casting eels quietly into the wash, PAY ATTENTION! That be Mr.Tim.

No one loves the block more than I do but, the fall is not the same out there.If you go there for numbers you will have a blast but if your looking for a mount Naps is the last great fall holding spot!

BTW! This week's Fisherman Mag has a picture Of Steve and me out on the Rocks at naps last Fall! Its the picture in Tim Colemans Article, Im the one that you can only see my back. That picture was taken in October, we were playing with school bass waiting for dark!

chris L
10-18-2001, 09:34 PM
that was a good read Bill . I havent ever fished naps but not do to the walk . I always figured it would be a mad house during the fall . I knew there was a good reason to get to rhody more often . thanks for the reading !

Patrick82
10-18-2001, 10:02 PM
Hey #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&,

I really have nothing more to add to this topic, was just wondering how you and the family is doing, especially your daughter. Have been wondering about her for a while.

JeffH
10-19-2001, 12:10 AM
I take the fifth.........One pattern regarding RI that I will share. The fishing in RI is usually on fire in September then there is a lull and you will hear people say "there isn't a Fall run this year" and the fishing pressure gets lighter and lighter. Well after that lull there are fish to be found not in 20-30 fish a night numbers that people equate with a "Fall RUN" but 2, 3 maybe 6 fish a night but these will be BIG fish, 30lb fish, the kind that I start getting excited about. Like Bill says this is the time to fish Eels where there isn't going to be the little tap tap of a schoolie but a solid thump of a 20+ lb fish and a drag that sings.

chris L
10-19-2001, 07:43 AM
thump
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz isnt it a nice sound ?
thank you very much mr ice cream man !
I love the smell of eels in the fall . It smells like victory !

JohnR
10-19-2001, 07:52 AM
Hey Bill - sure you're not up for a trip this fall ;) ?

nightfighter
10-19-2001, 08:12 AM
OK, OK taking me blinders off...

Don't know a thing about Naps, 'cept that I seen many a reference to it here. Help me pleeeese. Who's gotta a link for Naps? Map, chart, any other info?
Haven't been able to get south of Bahsten this year, but have a trip scheduled for the next week or the following (doing carpentry in Sam Goodys and Best Buys) that will start out on Long Island and wind me up the shore back home. Is this a nighttime place only? Tell me more 'bout the walk, not that it should stop me. Is it a place one can fish alone? What about some other spots to consider on a trip like this?
JR, whaddaya think about a forum that would be devoted to info on different fishing areas? I would be happy to offer my 2 cents on the North Shore/Marblehead area.

Fishpart
10-19-2001, 08:14 AM
John,
You up for a walk next weekend?http://forums.evilnet.net/ubb/smilies/walksmil.gif

10-19-2001, 09:27 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for this article, very well written. I just discovered Napatree a few weeks ago when I picked up a few albies there from my boat. As I was trolling back and forth I noticed some nice structure below and a small rip line.

I haven't tried in there with eels, but this article has me thinking about anchoring close to shore and drifting some eels into the rip if it's present.

In regards to the BI action slowing in the Fall, I have been singing the praises of the S.W. corner all season but accept for last Sunday morning I think it's been generally slow the past few weeks, although the rough sea conditions haven't helped much....

Good Luck!

Jaiem
10-19-2001, 10:02 AM
I presume everyone is talking about fishing SW Pt. from a boat?

I've been to the bottom of the steps and the walk to the point would be a major pain!

Or is it a case of the payoff worth the pain? :D

BNolan
10-19-2001, 10:13 AM
You can fish naps Alone.In fact, Thats the best way! Just use your head.If your not comfortable rock hoping in total darkness Try somewhere else.

Nighttime is the best time out at naps! Daytime fishing is great in the fall for school bass but, at night is when the lunkers roam!

The walk out to the point in the fall is absoulutly beutifull! The crisp fall air and the stars combine to make it the best walk you will ever take!

Simply put, naps has it all!! everything a surffisher dreams off,solitude,big bass, salty smell and the feeling that you are the only person on the earth! Fish there after 12 midnite and you almost be guarenteed to be all by your lonesome,just you and the bass!

There are no charts or maps,its a place that you need to learn and discover on your own.Thats half the fun.Anyone that can read water can learn naps.

Hey 179! Naps is good from a boat but, I have to tell you that it is tough to get in close with a boat and dangerous,This is one of the few places I know of that favors the surfcaster.At night the bass swing in naps close and there are more boulders than you can imagine.

As for SW Point on BI, iT is no where near what it once was for the surfcaster anyway.Off shore from boat has the edge.

Jaiem
10-19-2001, 10:39 AM
Clearly from the Korker marks in the wood a lot of casters go down the steps. And I've overhead casters talking about fishing there but haven't seen too many or heard much about catches from there.

So either it's little fished or people are keeping very tight lipped about it.

JohnS
10-19-2001, 11:02 AM
Jaiem, I have looked at those steps, but never been down there.
Looks like if you go down your dedicating your night there.
I think the Naps would be an easier walk, but then again I never walked down those steps, going back up wouldn't want to make you smoke a cig thats for sure. Imagine trying to drag a 50 up those steps?

JohnS

Jaiem
10-19-2001, 11:17 AM
Going down isn't bad, it's walking back up in waders!

OTOH, I can think of worse things than dragging a 50# up the cliff. ;)

Last year the beach at the bottom was all medium side round stones. Not the easiest to walk on, especially at night!

But lots of people still keep talking about that spot so by default I have to presume there's something to it. Just wish I could get some more info.

Marc Z
10-19-2001, 11:20 AM
Jaiem,
The bottom of the steps and to the left is SE Light, these guys are talking about SW point, 2 different spots. THeres a big fleet of boats that usually fish off SW Point.
MZ

JohnS
10-19-2001, 11:26 AM
I hear ya J, I would love to drag a 50 up them steps just to say I made it up alive! ;) But in all reality I don't deserve one because I don't know that side of the island at all. Wonder if the squid are in the harbor yet, I read some posts' last year when you were there, maybe even seen you with a pic of a moby squid from mars. Pretty cool to watch them glide from under the boat to hit those squid rigs that don't look like anything edible! I got a kick out of them watching them squirt ink. 2 years ago when we went the guys in the club made some excellent sauce out of them.

Johns

10-19-2001, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the advice on the boating dangers of Napatree, I saw alot of rocks in there a few weeks ago, I think I would have to get in there while there is still daylight anchor up and wait for the darkness. Maybe the hike from shore is a better bet.

In regards to BI all I can say is that it is the most fantastic fishing I have ever had, (Monomoy @ The Cape is a really close 2nd) the North Rip & South West corner are constantly producing large bass, a tube -n- worm is deadly out there. If you are going in a smaller boat watch the weather, I have had some hell trips back.....

You might catch me at Napatree tomorrow night, i'll be the one with a chicago ball cap on........

JohnR
10-19-2001, 12:30 PM
bring your Korkers....

DaveS
10-19-2001, 01:16 PM
How do ya figure the tides for Napatree? Do you use Watch Hill tides or do ya gotta add or subtract?

Jaiem
10-19-2001, 01:26 PM
Ooops....you're right. I was thinking of the SE pt. (It's the end of the week, pardon me). Still looks good but very rough beach and surf.

OK, SW pt. Been there, done that. Had some good action one morning on my trip last year using needles. It looks extremely "fishy". I plan to put in mucho time there on this year's trip.

Any access further down (South) of SW pt, near Schooner pt? Or do you just have to walk in from SW?

Thanks.

SeaWolf
10-19-2001, 01:53 PM
Yeah, Napatree is a pretty nice spot and almost always worth the trip. Heck, a friend and I pulled a number of nice ones over 40 this year - a couple this fall. That walk is nothing; you get used to it. It's really good over on the last point near the pilings/reef, especially on the ebb. Don't pass that up. Like Bill said, don't forget those eels! Yes, it's rocky in there, but you can get a boat in close. I've done it many times. You just need to know where to put it. But, yes, it is easy to kiss those rocks with your prop. I might not try it at night for you first time.

Block has it's moments, but I have to say Napatree has been good for me. Even when some said, "there are no bass around" in the early-mid 80s, a friend and I pulled some large stripers out of Napatree. And you thought Block was hot in the early 80s, we pulled these fish out alone! We held our own. Who needed Block?

Moral - Give Napatree a try. Bring your eels! The walk is almost always rewarding. Good luck!

Canalratt1
10-19-2001, 07:41 PM
Hey this B Nolan guy seems to know what he is talking about! Welcome back!