View Full Version : Found a boat rod...

patrickswoman
10-18-2001, 09:53 PM
A friend of mine that's a garbage man found me this Penn Baymaster boatrod with a Penn conventional reel. I know it's probably not worth much but it's in great shape and I'm wondering if it's worth saving or if I can do anything to make it more useful. Here's what on the rod and reel:

Rod: Penn Baymaster J 3360 L6
Medium-Light action 15-25 lb. line
Reel: Penn Peerless No. 9

????

mindi

Patrick82
10-18-2001, 10:00 PM
This is what I've found out about the reel.

I posted about this reel on Gowge's board and he said for me to polish the spool ends to get it going faster. Then he said a mag conversion might work too but I don't think he's done one on this reel.

Mindi said there is line on there and that the spool looks black which I think means anodized aluminum.

I looked around eBay and since it's an older reel, it sold at about 20 or 30 bucks. Of course squidders are old reels too and I don't see anyone complaining about them :D. I'm not equating the two but penn reels, especially the older ones seem to be workhorses.

Can anyone tell me more about the reel and anything about the rod. I know medium light isn't going to be a stick but I'm not sure exactly what Penn's idea of medium light is.

Fishpart
10-19-2001, 06:21 AM
Patrick,
My first conventional reel was a 9M. I used it to bottom fish with about 10 pound line on it but you could defitely go heavier. They are good dependable reels, not much for casting, but you can cast them. I believe they are the brother to the MAG 10. May not make a surf caster, but it is certainly a good set up for fluking or toggin' or maybe even livelining off a boat.

Jaiem
10-19-2001, 08:19 AM
I believe the #9 is a level wind. Makes it real hard to cast (it's not meant as a casting reel) and a pain to undo a birds nest.