View Full Version : Cod Jigging Gear Loan

Notaro
12-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Does anyone have a cod jigging setup (rod/reel) thats loaded with braid line and not mind to loan me fo rhtis Saturday trip? I need it for this saturday on yankee fleet. I can meet you halfway around Boston or cape or wherever. PM me.

Gloucester2
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Joe - no braided line on the Yankee Fleet.

I'm travelling most of the week and don't have a way to get a set up to you. Next time we meet I'll give you a setup so you'll be prepared in the future - I got so many I trip over them :D

Notaro
12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
so they don tgive out jigs or what? i gotta get to the bottom faster, dont i?

Gloucester2
12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Braid would be the ideal - but they don't allow it - too many tangles and braid is near impossible to untangle on a crowded boat.

Like the saying goes "When in Rome . . . "

Notaro
12-16-2004, 11:50 AM
alright, i will use their gear.

Clogston29
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
They may not allow it but last time I went out with them (about a year ago, maybe the rules have changed since then) the guy next to me was using 80 lb power pro and outfished me 5 to 1 on a very rough day where you couldn't feel anything with mono.

Also, just so you know, you can bring your own jigs and jig with their equipment but they don't let you use teasers. Only one hook per rod is allowed.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

reelecstasy
12-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Notaro, how did ya like the hot sauce last night, :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: good stuff huh:eek5:

Notaro
12-16-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Clogston29
They may not allow it but last time I went out with them (about a year ago, maybe the rules have changed since then) the guy next to me was using 80 lb power pro and outfished me 5 to 1 on a very rough day where you couldn't feel anything with mono.

Also, just so you know, you can bring your own jigs and jig with their equipment but they don't let you use teasers. Only one hook per rod is allowed.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

cmon! no teaser?!? thats why i need to borrow other gears.

chris, it was freaking hot last night! it burnt my mouth.

Finlander
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
I fished with them just before Thanksgiving, used 80 lbs ProPower, no problem. Jigging was best, loaded up with big pollock to 22 lbs, pool winner was in the low 30's. Cod and haddock very slow, I had only one throw back cod and one just keeper haddock, but very good day overall.

Notaro
12-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Okay, tell me what should I do now? Borrow one of yours gear or rent theirs?

Clogston29
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
If you can borrow I'd do that and just start fishing with it the way you want. The worst that can happen is they can tell you that you can't use a teaser, you can take it off, or that you can't use braid, then you can rent one of theirs. Braid is a big advantage.

outfished
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
They probably will allow braided line, really depends on the captain and crew. I see people using it all the time and no one has said anything. They may have jigs for you onboard and you'll probably have to rent it or replace it if lost. I've seen them on some of their boats. Teasers haven't been a problem either, see lots of folks using multiple's out there. If you get into dogfish they will suggest you remove them. Thats been my experience this year with Yankee. Good luck and dress warm!

Notaro
12-16-2004, 12:21 PM
okay, i hope that someone can loan me one of their gears. i have jigs and teasers and a bottle of menhaden milk.