View Full Version : Just thinking

RIJIMMY
12-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Just a thought and hopefully this stirs some conversation. I think the plugs I've seen out here are masterpieces, Im one of those people that can't nail two boards together and really marvel at what you can do. But here is my thought/question. It looks like so much time is spent getting the perfect finish and paint job on a plug, I remember the grain vs. no grain post earlier this year.
A bass is a predator and is going to target the weakest of the species, the old, small, sicky etc. I know some plugs imitate a wounded baitfish, but why doesnt anyone paint a sickly plug or make a plug with a chunk taken out of it? I have caught decent bass on redfins that were mostly exposed plastic, barely any finish. I've always wondered if that added to it effectiveness.
Thoughts? Is a perfectly painted plug more effective than a scrappy one? Does a prefect finish make a better fishing plug or a better looking plug?

:confused:

capesams
12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
for some it's a matter of pride that they take in their workmanship,,some do it because they feel it's just something to catch a fish on....it's all up to the builder as to how they come out.

spence
12-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I think many would argue that the paint job doesn't make that much of a difference anyway, some keep it very simple. Others really get into it...it's all in what you want to go.

As for the finish, durability does seem to be important so I can understand a lot of tweaking here.

A lot of people build to sell or trade anyway and build a collection. A nice plug will fare better either way. As capesams said, it's a matter of pride.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Its all up to the builder and the builder's skill and tools... I come from a non-carpantry background... a life working on and around boats has made me semi-handy out of neccesity, but I am not a master craftsman at anything.. and work out of a lathe at my parents house, paint where/when I can and assemble in the spare bedroom of my apt.
My plugs come out rough and I dont care... that being said I wish I had the skill and patience to make those gorous creations some make...
Like capesams said it's all up to the builder...

And BTW one of my go to's is a silver and black rebel thats so beat its mostly plastic... and it slays... :D

Charleston
12-16-2004, 01:26 PM
The paint job catches the fisherman! It's a pride thing!
When a woman buys a dress she makes sure it looks great! When you build a plug you do the same.
The next time you take a plug out of your bag, ask you buddy; "Does this plug make me look fat?" :D

MAC
12-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Sea-5
The paint job catches the fisherman! It's a pride thing!
When a woman buys a dress she makes sure it looks great! When you build a plug you do the same.
The next time you take a plug out of your bag, ask you buddy; "Does this plug make me look fat?" :D

I never ask that question....I know what the answer would be:laughs: :laughs:

tynan19
12-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I think that the action of the pug is what matters most. Colors everyone catches on their own color. The action makes it look sick, wounded, old that is why they go after your plug.

Those plugs that have no paint or finish that still catch you guys fish have a certain action to them that makes the fish go wild. The action could be caused by something unoticable to your eye.

beamie
12-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Like said before, the paint job catches the fisherman, not the fish. Do you really think you need all that gloss clear coat.....it's going in the water!!!!!!!!

I make some plugs, not many. Soon I will post my hockey stick plug, great for blues. I don't go nearly as crasy with the paint. It's the action that counts.

Like tubes, I make all my tubes...you can make 10 of them that look just about all the same. There will be 1 or 2 of them that will outfish all the others....why......if you could figure out what the fish are thinking then you have something.

Striperknight
12-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
ACTION, paint colors, durability, and quality for the PRICE.

So what if a plug has grain? Nothing on this planet is perfect....though some may try to make you think so. There comes a time where you have to say WHEN in a business. NO grain is NOT a measure of pride in workmanship.

It's a freekin lure. It catches fish. Fish don't drive BMW's and they SURE don't check a lure for lack of grain first before they inhale it :D

And I'm not gettin sucked into this one this year....I could have sanded 2 plugs in the time it took me to type this :D

And yup I see lotsa grain every day :laughs:

Grain Lover.:rolleyes:

Krispy
12-16-2004, 04:29 PM
and quality for the PRICE.
$20?? Thats alotta dough..
http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.com/surface%20danny%20lures.htm

spence
12-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't imagine the margin on the better plugs is that high. If you think someone's too expensive don't buy them...

-spence

Krispy
12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't imagine the margin on the better plugs is that high.
I dont know what to tell ya Spence, other than, from my years of work building plugs, I believe your wrong.
If you think someone's too expensive don't buy them...
I don't

reelecstasy
12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by spence
Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't imagine the margin on the better plugs is that high. If you think someone's too expensive don't buy them...

-spence

:hihi: You get what you pay for....

If you don't like it, leave it...............................

Krispy
12-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Gee Krispy if you think you can do a better job then PM me your address
You already have my address :)

Dont worry, Im not getting you into anything, Salty.

RIJIMMY
12-16-2004, 04:52 PM
geeez, whats wrong with everyone? Everyone is a little too worked up out here. I'm not getting anyone into anything and this post was not aimed at the commercial builders (bugger, habs, tatoo, BM etc.).
I want to make some plugs this year but I look at some of the ones people on this board make and I get down becasue I can NEVER make anything that looks that good. Then I remind myself that looking good may not really matter. For example, I see all kinds of great looking salt water flies, but my hacked, ugly teasers catch all kinds of fish.
I was just thinking more about presentation....all the plugs I see are gleaming with nice colors and shapes, fancy designs. Why not make them w/ one eye, ripped fins, chunks taken out of the side?
WOnt that generate strikes?

spence
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Seems like the plugs guys put the best finishes on are the swimmers, the ones meant to be alive. Poppers and the like don't matter as much, so they tend to be simpler. At least that's my general observation...

-spence

Tagger
12-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by MAC
I never ask that question....I know what the answer would be:laughs: :laughs:
Ah Ha ,,,thats why you've been making those giant plugs.. thier slimming .:jump1:

JHABS
12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Its up to you what you want, Make them fast make them slow make them the way you want , Grain, No Grain. Grain Less is Quite Painless. You can make them last longer with spending a little more time on them or whip them out. Depends on how much time you want to put in. No one person does things the same. Some finishes last longer some dont but its wood and it wont last for ever, But you can Prolong the Life of the Plug. Good Luck RIJimmy theres no better feeling than catching a Fish on some thing you made your self the rest is up to you. Make it fun, Its a labor of love but a Little Pride in your work won't hurt either...What to look for are Hows the plug made, componets, finish , types of wood, sealing, action, And what does one want to spend,You can make or buy Proven Fish Catchers, As far as Quality goes a dollar or two more for a Better Componet and Finished Plug is not alot of money and is well worth it in the long run. Some may say over kill but let the consumer decide,Remember you get what you pay for..... And there are all types out there. .......................... Good Luck HABS

thefishingfreak
12-16-2004, 09:57 PM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

the fish could care less:)

Nebe
12-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by JHABS
theres no better feeling than catching a Fish on some thing you made your self the rest is up to you.

aint that the truth:happy:

JHABS
12-17-2004, 07:31 AM
You should know EBeeeeeeeeeeeeeen ;)

afterhours
12-17-2004, 07:58 AM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

RIJIMMY
12-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Habs, a lot of great support and ideas from the folks out here.
In case my plugs suck, I'm headed to Burgess this weekend.......:p

CANAL RAT
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
color some times does matter all you need are dark colored plugs (Black) at night and light colored plugs in day (white,yellow,pink). a plugs color and looks does not matter as much as the plugs action. i have just started making poppers out of dowels and shaping them with a dremel (rotary tool) they are not gorges but they will catch fish.i just want the pride of catching fish on something i made myself. i am now expermenting with different sealers,paint jobs,clear coats to make them pritty and last longer.

TunaCell
12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I know what you mean CanalRat, I tried making a Polaris styled popper last night with my dremel . . . :doh: :yak:, but I think you're right, they'll still catch.

redneck24
12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
i thought the same thing, who cares what it looks like, as long as the fish like it. then i started building my own and seeing what others were putting out, made my thoughts change. lately the stuff coming out of the guys here is just incredible:drool: and it makes me want to better my work. i know the fish dont care either way, but like habs said, taking a little pride in your work gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

tattoobob
12-17-2004, 04:42 PM
caught on a salty bugger round nose swimmer

as far as i can see is these plugs catch fish and i

buy them, i do hate losing one but it happens

see that hand holding my rod i think thats BI Jeff

bob