View Full Version : 704 "Clicker"

basswipe
12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Working under the assumption that the Dog(and spring) are what makes the clicking noise when the anti-reverse is on I piled on the superlube as suggested to make the clicking go away.

It reduced it somewhat but did not do away with it.Adding more lube really didn't make any difference after a certain point.

Is there anything else that can be done to get rid of the clicking?

Crafty Angler
12-19-2004, 02:05 PM
BW - Check your PM's

Chris in Mass
12-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Crafty, Please share........Please :eek:

28inches
12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
I've used Vaseline and blue grease...they both work for a while. Crafty- what you got up your sleeve?

Goose
12-19-2004, 06:24 PM
supa lube gets rid of the clickin sound fo a while

Nebe
12-19-2004, 06:50 PM
crest extra white and a hand drill :D

NIB
12-19-2004, 07:14 PM
The clicken is cool.Reminds me of my old mMitchell days.if u can't deal with it go by a Shimano or a VAN STAHL

Crafty Angler
12-19-2004, 08:51 PM
I actually picked it up from Eben last year, so credit has to go to him -

Basically, you pack the snot out of it with Super Lube, put on the side plate and crank it for a while, then open it up and put in some more so that the gear case is pretty much full with no voids.

Just make sure there's not so much that you'll feel resistance when you put the side plate back on - it will stiffen up the reel a little too much for a long nite and may force the crosswind arm off the main drive gear.

That can be really frustrating if you find yourself on the rocks during a new moon, let's say, with a good sea running, a nice bass on and realize your spool is jammed up because all the line is wound on one spot between the spool and rotor cup...:af:...

And then find yourself uttering oaths with a flashlight in your mouth and field-stripping your reel while Uncle Ezidro is bailing bass right next to ya with his trusty conventional.

Trust me, you really want to avoid that.....

Pt.JudeJoe
12-19-2004, 09:29 PM
What is so terrible about the sound of a fine tuned machine like the 704 purring away while you reel in?

Nebe
12-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Pt.JudeJoe
What is so terrible about the sound of a fine tuned machine like the 704 purring away while you reel in?

it could give away your position :hihi:

Mike P
12-19-2004, 09:49 PM
You guys take out your drag clicker spings, I hope? ;) That's more of a give-away than the anti-reverse clicker.

I mean, you can always flip the anti-reverse off if it bothers you that much.

Spinfishers are noisy, and even the anti-reverse clicker isn't as noisy as the line roller on a 706. No matter what you do to quiet it down, if you fish a tide long enough, it'll start grinding away.

Even then, any noise that comes from a Spinfisher isn't as loud as the noise I make when a POS reel craps the bed during a hot bite :smash:

PurpelNoon
12-19-2004, 10:16 PM
I use blue marine grease in the 704 and 706 and they sem pretty quiet to me. But Mike P. is right, sometime that 706 roller lets out a shrill squeal that is really an annoyance. I tried my best oiling it but it still does it at the worst times. Is there anything I can do to quiet down the line roller?

CANAL RAT
12-20-2004, 05:29 AM
try some of that high tech oil/grease like hot sauce or rocket fuel on your line roller

basswipe
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Mike P
You guys take out your drag clicker spings, I hope? ;) That's more of a give-away than the anti-reverse clicker.

Had not thought of that either.I like a quiet drag.

Mike P
12-20-2004, 09:54 PM
It's the first thing I do when I get a new spinning reel ;)

Backbeach Jake
12-20-2004, 10:17 PM
The first time I lost a clickah spring in the sand was a Godsend. They all get lost now.;)

tlapinski
12-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by PurpelNoon
Is there anything I can do to quiet down the line roller? buy a new un assembled roller assembly. pack it all with super lube grease including the bearing before you put it together. mine went a whole season without any noise. it didn't spin as feely, but under line tension it spins fine.