View Full Version : Lots of squid around

Mr. Sandman
12-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Heard from several rock solid sources that the squid were in T H I C K for the last few nights feeding on some bait that was in there and no one is down there fishing for them!

My stuff is away but if it warms up I may pull my emergency squid rod out of hybernation and swing down there with my new 10 million CP light!:eek: :D

beamie
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
What are you gonna do......fry them first and then dip net them:bl: :bl:

Fish_n_Dive
12-20-2004, 09:23 PM
how does one use a rod and reel to fish for squid?

Notaro
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Fish_n_Dive
how does one use a rod and reel to fish for squid?

Use a squid jig, a customized one or a manufactured brand like Yo-zuri. If you are using yo-zuri, use a hi-lo or three droppers and a sinker on the bottom to get the jigging done.

Sandman, I don't mean to ask you a stupid question, but isn't it too cold for the squids to be around now? I am waiting until april unless I am in the mood for the fired calamari.

Hiya Beamie

bassmaster
12-20-2004, 10:53 PM
sorry sandman had to do it.......

Nebe
12-20-2004, 10:55 PM
you cant use those to catch squid :smash: ;)

Karl F
12-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Hide those... I see that top one swimmin' in my head all day and last night I was even dreaming about it. You put voodoo in them or something, to get that action?
Hide them, they will be illegal, I tell ya.

cheferson
12-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Notaro , there is a smaller run in the late fall early winter, nothing like the spring though or so i hear.

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2004, 07:05 AM
(Heard the report *again* from another realible source (the trash collector)...don't laugh, this guy talks to everyone)

I think this was a lone shot of squid passing thru ...they were around pretty much here all year here with a great run in the spring when the big ones come in the harbors during spawning then it was slow for the summer and it picked up again in the fall. But the spring seems to be the best here.
I'm going down there for a dinner party this week and I will swing by afterwards and check it out. I doubt they hung around very long. Its pretty darn cold now.

You catch squid with a "squid jig", it is a simple snagging type (jig with tines) lure. The rod I use is the cheapest junk I own....one of those 29.95 rod/reel/line shop specials....you don't need anything fancy for squidding. I have spent a lot more on the jigs then the rods/reel!

There is a past thread (this past spring) that has a lot of photos of the jigs and the squid they catch.

Bassmaster, You sure get a lot of mileage out of those "needlefish" ;)

ragfly
12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Are they at Squid row? Last spring I picked up one of those squid row hats. As a matter a fact I think you where at Edgartown squiding with your family when I got squid ink on it.

MakoMike
12-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Snady,
Where?

RIROCKHOUND
12-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Eben, you can catch squid with Dave's squid, BUT only during mating season....
:D :humpty: :humpty: :humpty: :humpty: :D

And chef; locally you're right its usually a short, sometimes intense run of squid around t-day, usually mixed with macks and herring....

True story, about 2 years ago on the way to my grandmothers for Turkey Day I stopped on Goat I to check the boat (it was windy) and there, sitting outside their van was a family (Ethnicity doesnt matter for the story) who looked by gear and vehicle not to be hurting for cash flow, sitting outside their van on the lee side, having a Thanksgiving Picnic between squid and mackeral fishing....

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Edgartown

Ragfly:wave:
Did you ever make it back in the fall?

Notaro
12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
MV? It is outta my range. I will wait until april.

JohnR
12-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Eben
you cant use those to catch squid :smash: ;)

Sure you can - snag 'em in the butt...

fishweewee
12-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Ahhhhh Crap.

Now you got me obsessed again, I'm gonna have to take another ferry ride to E-town and get tennis elbow from twitching me freakin' arm. And freeze my arse off at the same time. :wall:

Notaro
12-21-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Ahhhhh Crap.

Now you got me obsessed again, I'm gonna have to take another ferry ride to E-town and get tennis elbow from twitching me freakin' arm. And freeze my arse off at the same time. :wall:
:D Same here...

ragfly
12-21-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes I did make it back in the fall. I was there for the first week of the derby. I caught my first albies that week. My friend Dan won the blue division part of the derby with the biggest Blue. I hope everything is going well for you Sandman!

Mr. Sandman
12-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Ragfly,
That bluefish was an exceptional catch....I think he caught it in the last hour or two of the derby in a spot not known for big bluefish.

ragfly
12-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Yes it was caught in the last few hours. Of course there is a story behind it. Dan broke his only surf rod that evening backing it into a tree (rod was hanging out the back). The friend that I usually go down there with was on the island but with his girl friend so he wasn't fishing that night so he let Dan borrow his surf rod. If my friend wasn't there to lend him the rod Dan wouldn't have gone fishing that last night. To bad he didn't win the boat....he is a very nice guy and deserved it. The spot he caught it at he was catching big blues for most of the tournament. Did you notice where his two daughters finished!

Mr. Sandman
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
The fellow who won the boat...did it on the FIRST fish weighed in during the derby, on is first cast on the first day....an albie off the edgartown wharf.

My friend spoke to Dan at the ceramony...he caught that bluefish 100' from where I dock my boat.:rolleyes: