View Full Version : Cleaning and Freezing your catch

reelecstasy
12-22-2004, 12:59 PM
I have a question for you guys. IF you are going to keep it, how soon after you catch a fish to you bleed or gut it. I like to bleed it right away. I cut the throat and make a good slice at the base of the tail. I leave it like that on a bed of ice till I am done for the day/night. I then clean/gut it before i take off. Again laying it on the ice. I do not bury the fish in ice because it seems like it damages the flesh..I like to leave the head on as long as possible, once i get home I filet it up and again leave the skin on. Even if I am going to cook it without the flesh i leave it on till i am ready to cook...The last part of the season I started freezing my filets in water (skin still on), just enough to cover the filet in a freezer bag with as little air in the bag as possible. It seems to keep the freshness better. I just want to know a general idea of what others do, like how soon after do you bleed and clean your catch...

Hey we gotta talk about something fishy:rolleyes:

macojoe
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I bleed and gut as soon as I catch!! Then you need to put in a brine of salt water and ice, that will bleed it out and really cool it down fast!! (salt water and Ice is 10 times colder bthen ice) Then I put in the ice. When I get home I finish the rest, skin on some and off on others.
Then I vacum pack with my machine with no water or anything. I have had fish for over a year that taste better then any fish you can get in the store!!

ProfessorM
12-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I agree if you are going to freeze vacum pack is the way to go. Works great for bait too.

TunaCell
12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks to that machine I'm eating yellow fin that tastes as fresh as the day I caught it in April.

Fungus
12-22-2004, 07:29 PM
If I am going to keep the fish I bleed and gut it as soon as I unhook it. I will then get it into a cooler with salted ice. I will leave the fish on ice or refrigerated for at least 24 hrs before I fillet it. I then fillet and skin and then put in the freezer for a couple of hours to firm up. After the fish is firm I vacuum pack it.
I must say that the vacuum sealers work very well and I have kept fish for 9 months and it was fine.

Backbeach Jake
12-22-2004, 07:57 PM
If I'm gonna keep it , then I bleed it , gut it , ice it asap. I fillet it whole, head and tail on. I gotta get a vacuum packer.

Westport Jeff
12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
I bleed, gut and put on ice immediately.

I do not keep enough fish to last more than a few months after the catch.

I would like to get a vacuum machine. Some are expensive. Any recommendations for an economical machine.

Thanks,

macojoe
12-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I have the Food Saver brand. It havs been great for 4 years now!! I think they like $100

I will say this they do a great job!! But the darker fish like Mackrel, Blues ect ect... Still get fishy after 6 months or so. But your Fluke, Cod, Sea Bass, Scup ect ect.. :ast for well over a year.

Should of asked for one for Xmas!! :D

5/0
12-23-2004, 03:19 PM
I'll second the Food Saver:D It really sux:cool:
I have about 20# in my freezer.

5/0

basswipe
12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Vacuum sealer is the only way to go.They can be had very cheap these days.

Fungus
12-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I also have the Foodsaver brand, "as seen on TV". Mine has worked fine for the last 5 years. It has definately paid for itself over the years.

mrmacey
12-23-2004, 07:04 PM
wash it in ocean water throw it in a walmart bag in the freezer you go till ready to eat.