View Full Version : need feedback

redneck24
12-23-2004, 09:25 PM
my old man just gave me some mahogony. i turned a couple needles with it :drool: it turned nice, and sanded even nicer. my question is, has anyone else used mahogony? if so what did you think of it.:confused:

thanks.

FlukinUki
12-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Ive turned mahogany and your right, it turns nicely. Can be grainy if not sanded down to a fine grit. I made a few darters the swam well but their new :D so I cant tell you how the wood is going to hold up over time.

Now go turn some plugs:happy:

Karl F
12-23-2004, 09:47 PM
I've used it, and I like it.
Sucks up the sealer pretty good too :eek:

Slipknot
12-23-2004, 10:14 PM
good for heavy plugs like needles

I hope you wore a mask or used a vaccum, that dust will get far down into your lungs, dangerous because it's so fine.

don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Crow
12-23-2004, 11:37 PM
Sometimes mahogany will bleed through on a white plug darkening it. But I have used it for needle fish and swimmers with good results.

capesams
12-24-2004, 08:10 AM
at last count there's 52 kinds of cedar,,,mahogany is one of them...I've turned atleast 3 different kinds so far..very nice to work with. the only problem I've come across is the many pores that the wood hold's ,,this means that I needed to put on a few extra coats of primer/sanded in between to fill them up..other than that, I 'll continue to use it.

NIB
12-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Merry Christmas Steve.

capesams
12-24-2004, 08:23 AM
merry x-mas + an a even better new fishin year to you NIB's

redneck24
12-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by capesams
at last count there's 52 kinds of cedar,,,mahogany is one of them...I've turned atleast 3 different kinds so far..very nice to work with. the only problem I've come across is the many pores that the wood hold's ,,this means that I needed to put on a few extra coats of primer/sanded in between to fill them up..other than that, I 'll continue to use it.

i did not know that, thanks capesams. thanks everyone as well.

merry christmas!