View Full Version : A merry pinchney christmas

steelhead
12-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Glued and screwed these guys while I was waiting for everyone to get up this morning.... (Our son is a teenager. We won't see him til 2 PM this afternoon....) Trying out different sandeel shapes based on some pictures I saw in Bassdozer. They're 7" long with an NJT # 1 Lefty lip. Some with the screw in the top slot, some in the bottom slot. Also playing with different screw diameters to see how that affects swimming action... No belly weights in these.

Everyone have a great day!!!!

Diet starts in the new year.... :-)

steelhead
12-25-2004, 11:22 AM
I have had great luck with sandeel flies with some red in them, so I thought I'd try out a few plugs with red in them as well. Candy apple red over gold. The top one has a candy pearl purple on the back. I'm going to finish the black one with that red/purple
Pearl-X flake in the epoxy...

Backbeach Jake
12-25-2004, 12:14 PM
I have a good feeling about the red/gold this year. Nice work.:D

tlapinski
12-25-2004, 01:13 PM
try the jointed with 2 belly hooks on the front half and a couple hackles tied onto a hook cut off at the bend. :humpty:

steelhead
12-25-2004, 03:01 PM
I realized that I ought to do the second belly hook after I put the "tail" on. The feathered tail is brilliant!!!!

Surfster
12-26-2004, 02:53 PM
With those shapes and colors you just can't lose!:happy:
I'd think maybe just a bigger belly hook or a belly weight.
Feathered Arse for sure!
Just a question? I don't doubt the screw eyes but have you ever tested them? Maybe tie a rear eye to the house somewhere or tree and pull the other end with a scale?
I'd think if you got to 50lb without a problem then stop pulling...yer good!
Just a thought:smash:

Breezy
12-26-2004, 03:27 PM
ive tested a screw eye that was epoxied in tied it off with some bailing wire round a rafter, then tied a cinderblock on the other end, dropped it from level with the plug, the block fell about 3-4 feet, nothin happened! proof enough for me :-}

NIB
12-28-2004, 09:13 AM
some woods will hole the screw eye good but some like red cedar are much softer an will work out in time if a fish takes leverage he can turn it loose u may not realize it some water gets in (it goes everywhere) an comprimises the integrety of the wood u can have problems.i caught a 30 lber one time had a treble an a screw eye stuck in its mouth.Someone was cryin.