View Full Version : Lips

ROCFISH
12-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Can someone explain to me, the purpose for the plug lips.
How do the various types of lips (Danny, Pikie, Surfster,etc.) affect the action of the plug.
I'm planning to turn and build an assortment of plugs and would like to have an idea, rather than waste alot of time by trial and error.
I appreciate having you guys as a resource and have already learned a great deal from you. This forum is worth many years of trial and error.
Thank you all
Dan:)

Jigman
12-28-2004, 10:15 AM
The lip is only part of the equation. The amount of weight, where it is located, type of wood, size/shape of plug, etc. all play a roll. In general, danny lip will give you more of a tighter wiggle, pikie lip more wobble, surfster lip wobble more roll. This are for surface lures. The danny and pikie lips can also be used for shallow running plugs too. Want to determine what effect the lip has on the action of a plug? Turn a plug, then test it out with all three lips. My suggestion, if you are just starting out, pick one style of plug and work with it until you get it down rather than trying to do a few of every plug out there. You'll end up with usable plugs quicker, waste less time and money to boot. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: :smash:

Jigman