View Full Version : Needlefish History Presentation

DZ
12-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Needlefish History Presentation
By DZ

The following paragraphs are excerpted from "The Snowstorm Blitz"

"Sand Eels are a slender baitfish with a pointed snout that range in size from 3 to 8 inches. They normally have a bluish-green to bronze colored back and a white belly. Sand Eels, sometimes referred to as sand launce, are a prevalent baitfish in Block Island waters and their presence in the island surf has always been a key to our successful fishing. Whenever Sand Eels were washing up on Block Island beaches you could be sure that we were doing a job on the bass. This was especially true during the early to mid 1980s. During this time frame massive schools of Sand Eels, some as large as 8 inches long, were commonplace in Block Island waters. These large Sand Eels were so abundant that the waters off of Block Island's Southeast Light hosted phenomenal springtime runs of large Pollack. These Pollack weighed upwards to 40 pounds. Those same Sand Eels lured great schools of Sea Trout or Weakfish to Block Island's North Rip during summer. Then during the months of October, November, and sometimes into December vast schools of large Striped Bass invaded the Block Island surf to gorge on those Sand Eels.
I've been surf casting Block Island shores for twenty years and in that time I have learned many lessons about catching striped bass there. The one lesson that stands above the rest is that the needlefish style plug will, day-in/night-out, out produce every other artificial lure used on Block. Needlefish style plugs would best imitate the islands abundant Sand Eel population.
During most of the 1980s the striped bass that schooled around Block Island were above average size. In fact the average bass caught there during that time were so large that we referred to 20-pound fish as "Block Island schoolies". My first few trips to surf cast the island produced more bass in the 30-pound class than fish under 10 pounds. We used needlefish plugs to fool many of these large stripers.
I've spent years trying to find out who developed the first needlefish style plug. During my research I often found myself left with more questions than answers."

During this slide show presentation you will learn what my research has uncovered about the history of Needlefish development. Research for this presentation was compiled through conversations with the major players in needlefish development along with traditional researching of print materials. It will compose a timeline of when the different plug makers started making their needlefish and why. I will have many of these different needlefish on display. The timeline ends in the early 1990s.
This needlefish show is a follow-up to last January's "Snowstorm Blitz" presentation which was very well attended despite temps in the single digits.
This presentation is being sponsored by the Newport County Salt Water Fishing Club. It will be held on Thursday January 20th starting at 7pm at the Newport Yacht Club on Long Wharf, Newport RI. This event will be open to a limited amount of non - club members. A donation of $5.00 is requested at the door. Non-members need to reserve a seat by emailing me at zambrotd@nwc.navy.mil, or sending a PM.
Thanks for you interest.

DZ
12-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Bump

Clammer
12-29-2004, 09:41 AM
I,m going =just to meet DZ :D

Bliz
12-29-2004, 11:43 AM
You'll have a great time Mike!

Dennis has a way with his presentations that leaves you feeling like you were there!

I look forward to hearing what he has to share.

Crafty Angler
12-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm going just to meet Clamma...

Aw, hell, I already know Clamma :p

Seriously, if you guys haven't seen one of DZ's presentations, you definitely oughta be there for this one -

reelecstasy
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
Wonder if I could get my butt there in time from Boston..I would like to check it out..Hmmmmmmmmmm..and maybe met up with a few of yuse guyz...:buds:

ThrowingTimber
12-29-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm psyched with the new work schedule I can make it, I missed the snow storm blitz presentation :( But I will not miss this one. Clammer you can ride with me if you'd like :Dbring rosary beads

Clammer
12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
TT ya gonna rub my leg???????????/;)

chris L
01-10-2005, 11:35 AM
bump

striperjerk1
01-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I,m going see you all there. :D

fishaholic18
01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I'll be there....:happy:

striperjerk1
01-17-2005, 11:35 AM
thought i asked first, are cameras allowed?

DZ
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
Striper,
Single shot camera's are fine. Video not.
DZ

Flaptail
01-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Wish I could make it. You guys are gonna learn some good stuff for sure.

RIROCKHOUND
01-19-2005, 04:34 PM
bump

ThrowingTimber
01-19-2005, 04:49 PM
:kewl:

reelecstasy
12-05-2006, 03:15 PM
:drool:

tattoobob
12-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I read 2/3rds of that book the week I was at BI with Dennis and It will be worth the wait. I didn't read the whole thing on purpose. I am waiting for the Book and maybe read the rest next year?

Megabyte
12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm goin' just to bring Clammer a Bloooo(*%^%&%^)*(& fish.
By January he'll really be missing them :rocketem: :rocketem:

RIROCKHOUND
12-06-2006, 08:37 AM
MB...
check that date..
that was last year dude

Megabyte
12-06-2006, 09:34 AM
RIRICK,

Thanks. I noticed that the 20th wasn't Thursday.

Guess it time to wake up :bl: :bl: