View Full Version : any one up for this challenge?

fishweewee
12-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Being so close to lunch time, I figure this would be a nice thread to read. :hihi: :drool:

Monster Burger Dares to Be Eaten

Monday, December 27, 2004

In a direct challenge to American pride, the world's biggest cheeseburger has been cooked up 5,000 miles away in Glasgow, Scotland.

The massive sandwich weighs 10 pounds, is 18 inches across and contains 12 slices of cheese and a mere 7,000 calories, about 3½ times the recommended daily intake.

It's yours for free if you can polish it off in three hours, says the Baloo Burger Company (search). Otherwise, it'll set you back $125.

"It's huge — an absolutely massive amount of food," Baloo Burger manager Craig Johnson told The Scotsman.

Not only does the slab of beef itself weigh 7 pounds, almost as much as a newborn baby, but eating the burger will inject 200 grams of fat into your system.

The previous record-holder had been a 6-pound slider at a pub in Pennsylvania, which Johnson saw as a challenge.

"I saw an item on TV about the world's biggest burger," he told the Scottish Daily Record. "I assumed the Americans would have it sewn up, but when we found we could cook a record-breaker fairly easily, we thought we'd give it a go."

As of Dec. 22, three unsuccessful attempts had been made to consume the grilled Gargantuan, including one by a six-man team.

"A few of the regulars have taken up the challenge," Johnson told The Scotsman, "but I'm pleased to say they haven't been able to do it."

The beastly burger has to be ordered 24 hours in advance, as it takes 90 minutes to cook the beef, and the bun has to be specially made.

Anyone who eats the whole thing, in addition to getting it for free, will get a certificate of some sort and his picture on the restaurant's wall.

RIROCKHOUND
12-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Puts the Mt Everest Burger to shame (Mews Tavern)
Thats a lotta artery clogging chow.....

Ed B
12-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Wow, wonder what Dr. Atkins would have to say about that one.
"All that bread could kill you"

Bryan, you must remember the old "Charlie's Seafood" on West Main Rd. in Middletown, next to the old Checkers Pizza. Back when Jim Riley owned it he used to have a "Charlie's Challenge Plate" which was the equivalent of five fisherman's platters. If you ate it all it was free. :eek5: I used to go there all the time for fish and chips and man you would get a meal and a half for like five bucks. His closing up probably extended my life span by about five years. :laughs:

RIROCKHOUND
12-28-2004, 02:47 PM
I remember it, but not sure I remember eating there...
Like salas's for pasta... buy it by the pound :smash: