View Full Version : Saltheart

Clammer
10-26-2001, 07:40 AM
Yo, could you use some lead for meltdown, I have a little from diver belts, etc that I/ve dug up over the years with the intention of making sinkers ----- never happened-----let me know //////later:confused:

Saltheart
10-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Thanks Clamdigger. Hang onto it for me. I'll check it out.

BTW , we still got to get together and get that bull rake off my boat and onto yours. I might go down Sunday. If I do , I'll call you.

Clammer
10-26-2001, 02:04 PM
ok Salt if its in the morning, Sunday afternoon i;m booked with r/e later;)

Patrick82
10-26-2001, 11:12 PM
Hey Saltheart,

Ya need lead? Check the classifieds

Saltheart
10-27-2001, 11:28 AM
You pretty much got to get lead locally. Not practical to ship it around. Free Warwick RI lead I can find a home for but recycled 4 hour drive away , Fairfield Ct lead , even if free , wouldn't be worth the drive to me. You'll find someone around fairfield who wants it.

When I buy lead , I prefer what's called Virgin Lead in ingots. I get it at a plumbing supply store. Sometimes I buy 200 pounds or more and get a good price. Like 85 cents per pound. Thats for the higher quality virgin lead.

Lots of time recycled lead has other heavy metals in it. This changes the character of the melt and the way it pours but my biggest concern is what the other heavy metals might do to the fumes coming off the pot. If I'm paying anything for lead , I want virgin ingots.

When I get recycled lead free , I put a small amount in the melt and see what happens. With experience you can tell if there is other stuff besides lead in it. If there is , I won't use it.