View Full Version : auto mech's on the s.s., MA.

Slingah
01-04-2005, 09:52 PM
anybody an auto mechanic or know of one on the south shore????? I have a problem with a used car I bought...I can't get a sticker with the service engine soon light on....car seems to run fine:smash:
TIA
M.S.

Slipknot
01-04-2005, 10:13 PM
someone needs to read the code and reset the idiot light for you

most times it's the O2 sensor

jbuck
01-04-2005, 10:21 PM
If you have a auto zone store near by. They will read thr code and tell you what is wrong.I think they do this for free.

J.

Slingah
01-04-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks slip...I took it to where I tried to get the sticker...first the inspection test code came up engine misfire..then a couple days later they reset the light and said they ran a test and said give it a couple days...light back on in 1 day....60 bux to reset the light and tell me what I already know...code= engine misfire:smash:

Nebe
01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
unplug the friggin thing and you will get your sticker :hihi:

thefishingfreak
01-04-2005, 10:49 PM
send it to the DEALER!
one time, no guesses, fix.:cool:

fishaholic18
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Eben
unplug the friggin thing and you will get your sticker :hihi:

Not so easy. emission testers are smart nowadays.:(

Is it skipping on accell. Could be plugs.
What make/model vehicle is it?

jbuck
01-05-2005, 06:21 AM
I was told by my mech. if you disconnect the positive cable for 10 min or so it will reset the code. After you do that they say drive it around just to make sure it dosen't come back on.

J.

Slingah
01-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by fishaholic18
Not so easy. emission testers are smart nowadays.:(

Is it skipping on accell. Could be plugs.
What make/model vehicle is it?
sometimes it hesitates abit...98 mercury sable wagon

RIROCKHOUND
01-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Slingah..
Mine (96 ford explorer) is in right now same thing; the 2nd cyl isnt firing... Cleaned it out, they told me to drive it a few days if it doesnt come back on they will give me the sticker...
if it does come back on I have a more serious problem....
:(

MAC
01-05-2005, 08:23 AM
My wifes car was doing the same thing. Found out it was a bad gas cap. I was also told that if you fill the gas tank with the engine running you can have the light go on too. The computer runs a pressure test every 10 minutes and if it runs when cap is off light will come on. The thing like Mike said about the dealer is a lot of the times the way to go. They deal with brand of car frequently and may be easier for them to chase down problems that they probably have seem before.

missing link
01-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I would disconnect the battery for 5 min. while this is being done take your gas cap and blow some compressed air through the vent hole and make sure when you tighten the cap 3 clicks after tight, hook up batt. & see if this works.
go and look up chiltons repair book and it will have a page on CODES and will describe how to check codes at home with a paper clip by jumping a couple of terminals on the plug in module. you will be able to count the flashes of your service light and look up what the problem is in the book.
hope this helps
Link Sr.:cool:

Karl F
01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Do you have the 4.6 in the Merc?
How many Miles?
If it's over, or around 100K, could be plug wire to #4... famous for water intrusion.. if the diagnostic said miss fire, it should also tell you which cylinder.... check the plug and wire. gas caps on the fords are tricky too, but if the computer said miss fire... might be worth a set of wires and plugs... pricey, damn plugs for the 4.6 are about $15 a pop! wires ain't cheap either......... then give it a good high speed run, blow the crap out of it.
If you were closer to the cape, I'd send you to my bud Dennis's shop, he'd give ya the answer straight away.

Slingah
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
thanks everybody for the replys
I got the car pretty cheap the lady says the lights been on a while...once in a while it jerks a little of the line but exept for that runs well...the garage will do another diagnostic for free...if it is a serious problem, ill try to give it back...I guess you get what you pay for:smash:

rwilhelm
01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Slingah
anybody an auto mechanic or know of one on the south shore????? I have a problem with a used car I bought...I can't get a sticker with the service engine soon light on....car seems to run fine:smash:
TIA
M.S.

This is the dumbest law ever, this must be new because I have never heard of not being able to get a sticker because of a check engine light. Just another damn way to make money. :smash:

fishaholic18
01-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Slingah
once in a while it jerks a little of the line:smash:

Sounds like secondary ignition problem.
I'd bet it's a bad set of wires.
Spray water on the wires while engine is idling and see if it starts skipping. Also look for the wires arcing.(sparking all over the place)
Hope that helps.

Slingah
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rwilhelm
This is the dumbest law ever, this must be new because I have never heard of not being able to get a sticker because of a check engine light. Just another damn way to make money. :smash:
dam right..new law this year in MA...so I am told

thanks f 18.....recent tune up before I purchaced it...I have receipts....light on before tune up and after
called the shop....goes in Friday for more tests:rolleyes:

Stewie
01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
They don't do emissions tests on newer cars anymore. They just check the codes. If somebody comes up with a good scam electronics unit, we'll be able to hotrod motors again.WOOHOO!

Slingah
01-08-2005, 09:41 AM
thanks for all the help and replies....thats why this board is the best!

It was the cam shaft posistioning sensor......we will see if the light comes back on....the computer has to reset then I can get the damn sticker...

Karl F
01-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by longshot

If somebody comes up with a good scam electronics unit, we'll be able to hotrod motors again.WOOHOO!

I have seen one, in the jegs book I believe :D From the write up, it is a reprogrammer.... set it up for performance, run it... sticker time, plug it back it, reset to stock codes... get sticker... repeat....
ahhh..... technology :cool:

Slingah, hope it all works out for you... pesky sensors everywhere... had to chase a bunch on my sons GC last summer, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor..... was easier years ago... wack carbaretor with a ball peen hammer, all fixed :hihi:

Raider Ronnie
01-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Karl F
I have seen one, in the jegs book I believe :D From the write up, it is a reprogrammer.... set it up for performance, run it... sticker time, plug it back it, reset to stock codes... get sticker... repeat....
ahhh..... technology :cool:

Slingah, hope it all works out for you... pesky sensors everywhere... had to chase a bunch on my sons GC last summer, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor..... was easier years ago... wack carbaretor with a ball peen hammer, all fixed :hihi:

Ya, it was easier,
If you like polution, burning lots of gas compared to todays cars, and cars with huge motors that would never keep up with todays cars;)

Slingah
01-08-2005, 06:27 PM
thanks Karl....I'm waiting for the light to come back on before I get the sticker...if not I got a good deal on a used car...I bought a wagon for a second car/fishing mobile, Im gonna mount rod racks on the top, plenty of room to store stuff...and ride in style:laughs:

Slingah
01-10-2005, 06:13 PM
:af: :af:
it came back on...it's goin back where it came from
I might have to buy new