View Full Version : year in review

tlapinski
01-05-2005, 08:00 AM
I learned a lot this year. I fished many new places, Cutty, Block, Gansett, the Tail, and I made some great new friends from the board.

As has been the case for the past 4 years, my first fish was caught the first week of April. it was a nice fat 24#er on a pencil popper. That spot only produced for 2 more trips, as we received a bunch of rain and the water quickly became unfishable.

Next up was the run on the CT river. As has been the trend the past few seasons, the herring supply was nearly non-existant and the fish were very hard to find. I only broke 30#'s on 1 fish, but most were in the 20# class into June. My fishing partners and I were forced to really hunt to find the concentrations of fish. As a result, I feel we all became even better fishermen. I even dragged Krispy up here to show him what all the buzz is about. Now he understands. :)

Now came the learning part of my season. I hooked up with a guy as addicted to this sport as much as I am, and one of the best teachers I could have possibly met. I learned a lot from this guy, and together we did some damage in Narragansett. Thanks GF for all you taught me this year!

As the fall snuck up on me, I had plans to fulfill two of my surfcasting goals; fish Cuttyhunk and Block Island. As fate would have it, both of these firsts came within a 2 week fishing vacation I had planned. As many of you know from the pictures and reports I had when I returned, Cuttyhunk was amazing! The fish co-operated, and I learned about as much as anyone could possibly fit into a 4 day/3 night trip to the island. I also had the pleasure to finally put in some fishing time with Goose and get addicted to wetsuiting. My first trip to BLock was not quite as successful catching wise, but I also learned a bit about the island. I met a few more great guys from the site, and solidified a couple more close friendships in the process.

Back to the mainland of RI to finish off the fall. The fishing was pretty good on the mainland, but the Block Island bug had really bit me! I ended up taking 2 more trips out there, and had some pretty good success. SoCo filled up with bait as the days got shorter. I ran into pods of adult bunker and sea herring. This was the first time in a few years that I experienced consistant adult bunker blitzes in SoCo. It felt good to have a solid big bait supply to target.

The season began to fizzle out into November. I made a couple fruitless trips to RI, and began to persue other areas in search of bass. My last fish was caught just after Thanksgiving. Nothing quite like my first of the season, but I was happy to be still in the surf.

Overall, it was one of the most memorable seasons I have ever had thanks to all the people I met and things I learned. To all the fellow striper addicts I met and fished with, I can't wait to do it again next season! :soon:

NIB
01-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Sounds like u had a good yr.An met some good people.I remember when i turned my computer on 3 yrs ago I had got it for a gift a yr,earlier an had no real use for it.Well i couldnot have beeen more wrong.I met some great people an learned alot (thought I knew It all) through the Striper fishin sites.i was always hungry for something to read on bass fishin an there seemed to be a giant void till i found the Al Gore's internet.Truely Amazing. sometimes learning is better than fishin.the sayin goes an holds true.u gotta put ur time in.u'll get that big one its only a matter of time as it seems u got the drive an the right attitude.if not thats ok too.as fishing rewards us with many things to fill out a life time besides giant fish.When the big bunks are in by us i do very well with a big pencil popper.3- 4 oz jobs.there is nothing to compare to 30- 40lb fish blowin up on topwaters.I try to be on the water every morning an evening.Good luck next yr.an thanks for the pics an stories of ur excursions.Good stuff. I hope to make it out to some of those places myself sometime soon.As I enjoy traveling up the coast with my striped friends.With a little help from my friends I do ok.an have alot of fun.For that I am Greatfull....

Mr. Sandman
01-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Each year I try and hit all the islands more then once both from the shore and boat. Some years I fish some more then others. I worked over CH and eliz' islands and MV pretty good and managed a trip to BI and several boat trips to ACK but didn't fish ACK from the shore this season. (althought I was there a few times)

For me I have to say I have two highlights of my season...The first one came while I was exploring new nooks and crannys along the eliz's alone in the boat. Got into a large pod of fish in the 20-25# class. Once I landed a few I switched over to light spin gear on surface plugs and had a ball for about 3 hours, then left as the sun was getting high. I never saw another boat or person the entire morning....it was a near perfect morning.
The other highlight was when I was with my 2 boys and my 8 year old got his biggest bass to date..(30#) The thrill was very memorable as the sun was comming up and we captured it in the photo I posted some time ago. These are the reasons why I fish. The solitude and the memories.

Other memorable times were a very successful few surfnights on an impromptu trip to CH in July when my wife suggested we take the family and spend a few nights in the Bass Club...That alone would have been fun enough but there was some very surprising action with big fish all on Bernzy plugs that put my gear to the limits. Again, all alone didn't see a surf fisherman the entire visit.

Also, the spring run on MV which didn't last as long as last season (from the surf) but within the slow pick we had 3 really hot nights in a row (fish 20-42#)...if you were there it was very exciting, If you could get a big plug in the water you were on in short order...those big Polski plugs did the trick for me (the Fatso with/VMC and triple rings). Bass fishing just prior to the comm season opening was awesome from the boat in the spots where the comm guys park all comm season. Eels were the ticket with lots of nice fish around.

The summer was decent from the shore for bass but the boat fishing for fluke in the sound was awesome at times. With many fish over 8# and several 10'+s and even one just shy of 13....I am looking foreward to next year already and have begun tying fluke rigs with my son. After exhautive testing of probably over 100 different styles over the last 3 years we found the ticket. We plan to tie 250 high end fluke rigs. (hope to sell some to a couple of shops since people were asking me where they could get them off my boat last year. If it works out, I will have a few thousand tied next season)
Offshore was great later in the summer but I just wish I went more often. Seeing a bluefin (300-400) come clear of the water so close to the boat is etched in my memory forever.

The fall run from the surf on MV was a little dissapointing, again, I had few nice fish but nothing worth noting. The was frustrating because a lot of folks come to target them here during the derby. The bonito and albie run was I think the best I have ever seen with boat trips having wild days of non-stop action and a very predicable surf bite for an exteneded period. But the albies took over the show at around derby time and it was tough to get thru them to get to a bone from the shore.

Hitting the derby pretty hard and meeting several of the sb.com experts on the beach and doing a BI trip with 8 of the sb.comers was a lot of fun. I hope to do it all again next season and meet more of you guys.

All in all I did a lot of fishing and hope to squeek in even more next season. over all it was a good year, I give it a B+

TunaCell
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Started the the year off right in Hatteras with an unbelievable yellowfin trip, I fought three 50-70 lbs. While on a charter trip in June I caught a 49.15# bass. Early summer was spent shore fluke fishing, biggest one weighing just over 5#. Back to Hatteras in late July to catch a White Marlin and a Sailfish in one day, one billfish away from an IGFA offshore grandslam. In the fall I totaled 11 false albacore from shore, the biggest being 11#. One bonito from shore, weighing 9.5# Also at the end of the year I found out I tagged more fish this year than I have any other year.

goosefish
01-05-2005, 07:13 PM
My year in review as for fish caught is nothing special: a three week period in July where me and a few others found a pasture and mowed it clean. We laughed at how good it was, and I was happy that it rescued a slow spring.............then came the mighty fall run and I kept waiting and waiting for things to turn on. We found fish but the size didn't match the images in our heads. I must of had an albatross hanging around my neck?
The beauty of the season centers around the men that I fished with. I use to fish alone; I don't much anymore. Much can be said for the group thing where a slow night becomes the stage for the story. And it's in these stories where I learned new ways to look at old things.

Nebe
01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
If i was to name my season this year I would call it "the season of lost plugs" I lost so many friggin plugs it was silly. Luckily i am making a bunch this winter so I can re-stock. Its the price i pay for fishing rocky places. I have to agree with Tlap.. Fishing with Goosefish was a blast and I learned quite a bit from him.. Also I fished with throwing timber and Blackeye a bit but not as much as i wanted too:( I cant wait till spring.. i've already been scouting and have found a great place for april :humpty:

Cowcountry will happen agian goosefish :D

BigFish
01-05-2005, 09:00 PM
I have not yet had the pleasure T-Lap to fish any of the islands, though I hope to soon.;) Sounds like you had a ball!

I had a great spring.....lost the biggest striper I ever had on one drizzly, damp spring afternoon.....it hit my 1 oz. Gibbs pencil like a freight train coming head out of the water and I got a good look at him/her.....was a high 30 pounder....hooked it in a big boulder field on light tackle as I was only fishing for schoolies in this spot...(lesson learned...expect the unexpected always and be prepared for it) I fought the good fight and did all the right things but in the end, the rod did not have enough backbone to keep the fishes head up and in control....almost had it in but it took my down to a boulder and broke me off.:( I wanted to cry!

June overall was the worst ever and it was not for a lack of trying. Best night was one I spent with Slingah down the backside when we ran into BM and Slip...(remember Slip?):happy: I was fishing my first ever plugs for the first time ever...needlefish. Slingah and I got into them right away...15 pounders at first...shortly after we started, BM and Slip showed up and the 4 of us knocked the hell out of them all night long....mostly fish between 15-25 pounds but BM and Slingah lay claim to a couple close to the 30 mark. I remeber Slip and I laughing as we watched each other hang nice fish and the sound of the drag screaming. The best night of the season and the best night I ever had!:D

Last night of note was with Backbeach Jake.....right Fred!:D Watched him put on a clinic on a lame duck danny he had made....they were hammering it! They were not touching my offerings but I had a blast anyway and caught some decent fish just the same....Fred had one about 30....pretty sweet for him!

Can't wait to do it all again!

Raider Ronnie
01-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Is this a surf guys year in review?
Or does boats a guys year not count!!!:smash:

Goose
01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Fishwise I had lousy year but at the same time I had one of the best fishing seasons I can remember. Like you guys are sayin, makin memories with others is priceless.
Some of last winters scouting paid off during the spring bite, soon after I took to wetsuiting although my expections where sky high I got skunked more times then I can remember.
Having a boat is great when times are to hot or bass got lock jaw. I had great time watchin my Dad fight a 29# as we drifted around the elizabeths. I also had the humbling oppertunity to take out a great handicap kid and his mother, we caught a few scup and seabass. I plan on making this anual thing.
Cutty was a blast, I give big prop's to Tlap....short story....We fished until the bite slowed and Tlap and partner decided to head back for coffee and a nap, I stood behind fishing a stretch then at about 3ish I headed to where Tlap was stayin for cup and hit the road for some top water action....he was out like a light warm as a bug in bed.....on short sleep, that dude got up put on cold wetsuit .....lol,,,,that wicked sux..lol hey his partner took zzzz over alot bass:smash:
My son and I had our first father and son fishin trip....I know I'll never forget it...It was a rough mid-day trip and watchin his little legs spread apart and his firm grip on the rail....boy he looked to be born on that boat. He cut strips a squid and all. I was soooo dam proud of him. I also watched my daughter catch the first bone on the boat...trust me, I make it a big deal at my house.
I told a few guys here that we'd get together fish last year and I apolgize if I didn't get to, I havn't forgoten. Clammer, I should checked the gas tank.....but that didn't stop us from being on the water and catchin a few, great time non the less.
I managed to get over to block a couple times with cowhunter & co. I learned alot and lookin forward to doing it again. As always me bloo hooked up in the fall, we caught some of the years largest bass but the numbers still wheren't there.
I know I'll be more prepared then last year but its gonna take affort and good timing to get together with good people.

bassmaster
01-05-2005, 10:52 PM
I went fishing last year

kippy
01-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by bassmaster
I went fishing last year

The grand tour of P-town with BM was the highlight of my year..
:D

Can't wait to do it again in the spring...

RIROCKHOUND
01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
My year started with mixed bag of surf and skiff fishing, I dont rush out there in April, probably didnt catch a bass till mid May... Had a nice run of Boat fish in the bay, nothing huge (mid to upper 20's) but nothing under 12 either... (except that 4lb fluke one night)

Next up was So.Co fishing, mostly within 10min of my apartment, took a few decent at a well known spot in gansett, course it was night time and I was the only one out there.... I love RI sometimes.... :D again, nothing over 25...

Joined GF et al for a bit of hiking with some fishing thrown in during July, took a while to get the 'nack' and had some braid issues one night, back to mono i went... lotta good stories on these nights, and some decent fishing as well... I personally saw some decent fish caught, but I dont think I topped 15 or so... :(

had one memorable night in jamestown alone, (except for the partiers watching from the house above me.... and a few nights with others... at zee 'tail Eben had a situation :D John got my fish box dirty while I went home empty handed, and I slayed schoolies and small keepers one night with Crafty (yes chuck was off island! and was rewarded with a gorgoues blond on a photoshoot!)

Started fishing with PIEMMA in late june I think... this old bass-tage is crazier than I am, and sleeps less... hard to believe... we had a dry patch of fishing, coupled with some BIG swells, made for slow fishing but good stories... found some large numbers of small keepers and big schoolies in a few well known and a few lesser fished spots... this lasted through October... November stunk for me, I picked a few fish here and there, but nothing exceptional, blackfishing was a short season but did very well a handful of days, no PR's but a few decent slobs were found... Went to the Block after Turkey day, fished semi-hard with P and BI Jeff, a few small fish were found, day-glo was the key and I was day-glo less... oh well had a good time and ALOT of laughs...

05 is here.... 5 months till I start back up again.... tight lines, happy winter and lets hope 05 is better than 04.... I learned alot this past year, an old boat guy can be taught new surf tricks :D Hopefully the guys I fished with learned something from me to balance out all I gleaned from them....

RIJIMMY
01-06-2005, 12:10 PM
My goal for last year was to target big fish and stay away from schoolies....exactly the opposite happened. I fished less (new baby) and caught more bass than I ever did in my life. At best I landed 4 keepers, nothing more than 16lbs. I got tons in the 20"-26" range. I saw more blitzes than ever, schools of bass and bait everywhere.....this was in late July and August, the action continued until fall. Best summer fishing I ever experienced.
I learned some new spots, and re-discovered some old ones. One spot I beleived I knew inside and out, one night I went there on a whim, in my mind it was an off-tide - incoming, I only fish this spot on outgoing. To my suprise, the white water was making up perfectly, there were around 5 guys with bass upwards of 25lbs on the beach.....needless to say I learned my lesson.

Iwannakeeper
01-06-2005, 01:46 PM
04 is definitely memorable for me

I boat fished for stripers for the 1st
I boat fished for cod for the 2nd time, 1st time not on a party barge.

I caught my first keeper, as well as a few others aboard the LUV LEE - thanks Mike.

I caught cod aboard the Raider Nation - thanks Ron.

I fished with a lot of new people and now understand how much fun compainion fishing can be. I was pretty solitude prior to this season. Other than the little woman, I generally used to fish alone.

the best times I had this year was meeting members of the board and spending time wetting a line with them.

I caught more fish this year, although they were generally schoolie class. With the exception of the boat fish.

I tried more new areas and really focused hard learning a few.

I fished the ditch for the first time this year.

So I guess there were a lot of memorable firsts this year.....and hope many more next year.

Goals -
- catch a surf keeper
- catch some bones and albies
- become better friends with the guys I fished with this year
- meet some more great people from this board, hopefully with lines in the water
- fish more often, and get discouraged less. I had a bad skunk on for awhile and let it get to me. I put the rods down for awhile.

Thanks for the post - it was good to reflect on the year.

-IWK