View Full Version : Anybody Tried The VMC Live Bait Hooks?

Crafty Angler
01-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I just got my Cabela's Saltwater catalogue last week and I was looking at the VMC 7262 live bait hooks - has anyone tried them for eeling? :huh:

I usually use the old Mustad 9174 bronzed hooks slinging eels but man, they rust like crazy. The Gami Live Bait HD in black nickel is a good choice but a little pricey and I've never been nuts about a kirbed point since I won't snell and use an improved clinch knot. However, the Gami's kirb is pretty slight.

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with them - they're 4x and VMC trebles and Siwash have been my standard hooks for plugging - they do appear to be slightly kirbed and are tinned/anodized red but cost considerably less than the Gami's.

Any first-hand reviews? I'm getting ready to start tying next season's leaders soon and wondering about a switch.

Pete_G
01-08-2005, 12:18 PM
I've never tried them but I had the same thoughts you did when I saw them in the VMC catalog.

I'll try and remember to grab a pack of them for closer inspection next time I order, which will probably be this week.

Bernzy
01-08-2005, 12:31 PM
I've been using VMC's almost exclusively since the mid 80's.
I'm not sure which hook Crafty is talking about, but I think overall they make the best hooks for the money.

I especially like the Vanadium hooks, very light, but very strong.

Just my $.02.

Bernzy

Crafty Angler
01-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I think they may be new for '05, Bernzy - I just saw them at Cabela's, don't recall seeing them before :confused:

The price is right versus the Gamis - like 1/5 the price -

Mr. Sandman
01-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Which cabela's cat?..I am looking at the 04 master catalog and don't see much VMC....Also there was not anything VMC on the website recenty either (but I did order some 6X via the phone)

Most "live bait" hooks I have used (like the gami's) are very heavy (thick wire) ... too thick IMO but I have not see these.

For the last few years I have moved to owner circles for eels ...they have a teflon or some kind of blackish non-stick like coating and they don't rot out so fast, (they will rust but not overnight), they are *very* sharp, and I have never broken or straightened one. The wire is thinner but they are very rigid and penatrates the jaw without problems. It took me a few fish before I got use to them but I am a convert now. lip/jaw hooked fish 95+% of the time even on a dead stick rod. You can get them in both bent and straight eye. I like straight and attach with a palamar knot. As I have tried the snell on the bent eye and didn't improve my hooks anymore or less. Some Cap'ts swear by snelling and show you a circle in a bucket trick but for me it made no difference.
http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/products/hooks/mutucirclehooks.htm

(cabelas sells them)

For 20 years before that the only hook I used (for eels) was that 92553s in stainless (mustad)... Great hook, strong but if you were not really "on" your bait you will gut hook a lot of fish.

I agree with bernzy...***for the money*** VMC is the best hook, their hooks offer the best value and are very strong and sharp and can be purchased in bulk easily...you just need to swap them out frequently if you don't like rust. But there is something to be said for changing hooks out frequently instead of buying one that "lasts forever".

if money is no object when buying hooks...take a look at owner. (it is a b*tch to find them in bulk packs of more then 6) I just got these new stinger st66 treblebs...wow that is one strong (and sharp) hook. I plan to put them on all my HD trolling plugs. I got some in all their siizes...the 5/0 could be used to look for bodies in the bottom of the bay.

Crafty Angler
01-09-2005, 02:42 PM
The VMC's are in the latest Cabela's Saltwater catalogue which just arrived within the last week or so - and yes, VMC's have been my treble of choice for a while - they're tough to beat.

The live bait VMC may well be a new item this year - I'll see them first hand when Pete gets them in at the Saltwater Edge and let you know - I do a lot of eeling so I'm always looking for alternatives to the old bronze 9174's -

I also feel the Gami's are a little thick - but it hasn't presented any hook-set problems, they're plenty sticky.

I'll have to check out the Owners - thanks for the link :kewl: