View Full Version : Jigs

Patrick82
10-28-2001, 02:43 AM
Allright, I have all this lead sitting around, about 75lbs, maybe even more. I don't baitfish anymore so I really don't need weights.

First safety gear. I'm pretty scared of lead. What would be some good safety gear? I have latex gloves and pliers that I'm willing to throw out. What kind of gloves should I use to cover the latex gloves? Will heavy work gloves work well? I really don't want any of that crap touching me. I also have safety glasses that will shield my eyes from fumes and any lead that decides to splatter. Can you guys think of anything else that will protect me?

Now, onto melting the stuff.

My parents are huge coffee fans and they have to buy the 3lb cans. Can I melt lead in that? And what would be the prefered way to melt it? We have a propane BBQ out back but I'm worried about contaminating something we eat from. We also have a blow torch, a few blowtorches actually. Would that work well?

Now, what about molds? I'm looking for a mold for bucktail jigs from 1/2 oz up to 5 oz. (For when I finally make it to the ditch :D) The type of mold I need, I assume, is one with the collar for wraps. Anyone know who makes one?

I understand hooks will be determined by the mold. Is there any specific hook model that I should look for when choosing the mold(s) that I use?

I basically have the actual molding part down. My dad made lead soldiers as a boy.

I assume painting is next. I'm only concerned with making two color heads. White and Black. What paint should I use?

Any other steps to making a good, long lasting finish? I hear some people bake their painted jig heads. Can anyone fill me in on the details of why and how to do that?

Now wrapping. I know you can't give me an exact count but on average, what do you think the normal bucktail jig's haircount would be?

What size thread should I use to wrap bucktails and where can I get it?

Where can I get bulk white bucktails other then Tim?

What should I use to seal the threads?

Any other special tips on making the bucktail jig?

Thanks

Smokey
10-28-2001, 09:51 AM
Patrick,
You don't want to melt lead in a coffee can, if you burn a hole in the can you'll be sorry. Use only a melting pot, preferablie a bottom pour. Saltheart and I only do this out doors. Mike T at M&D has a good salection of molds to choose from.

bloocrab
10-28-2001, 10:04 AM
...ONE DROP OF WATER HITS THAT MELTING LEAD....AND BAMMM!....you got a blister...:D ...so wear ya goggles!!...ventilate the place your workin in...it does get a bit stanky...

..gas grill :rolleyes: ..nah.. your better off with a centralized base..like a propane stove, no gloves needed...my pot has a wooden handle...cast Iron with a pouring spout...blow torch ? nah...just hack the lead into sizeable pieces...sit back and have a brewski...:D

..never made jigs...only sinka's....but jigs will be made soon.....waiting on ???....to demonstrate!

bassmaster
10-28-2001, 10:41 AM
the fumes smell great