View Full Version : Question on lip placement

Diggin Jiggin
01-09-2005, 01:54 PM
I am working on a swimmer proto type, trying different weights and lips, etc.

I have the lip centered and I find that when I bend the eye slightly upward I get the action I want.

Does this mean that the lip needs to be moved up from dead center by the amount that I bent the eye up ?

BigFish
01-09-2005, 02:29 PM
No...thats how you tune the plugs action. No matter where you place the lip, you can alter how deep or how shallow the plug will swim by bending the eye up or down.:D

Nebe
01-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I think bigfish is right, but you could make note of where the eye loop wants to be on the proto and drill new holes in future lips so you can get the loops to come out to where the current lip is.

Diamond Tackle
01-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Do not fall into the trap of thinking that the Lip Slot has to be dead center. It doesnt.
Whats important is where the lip blade is in relation to the plug(some tolerance here) & the position of the wire in relation of the center of the plug (very little tolerance here), with the bending of the wire loop as a FINAL TUNE.
Look at the pug sideways to see if it looks right.
Look at an original GOO GOO Eye. There is no lip slot at all .
To answer your question however, YES, and I will tell u why.
You need that wire in a higher position on the plug, thererfore the whole lip has to be moved slightly up to align the wire thru hole on the lip (IF you want the same action as you stated) This way you may not need any Final bending adjustment at all on the wire loop, which is what I think you were asking?
The other solution is obviously a different hole position in the lip, which some lips like the Lefty #1 and soon the Lefty #2 will have.
What Lip are u using, maybe I should have asked that first.

Jigman
01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I agree with Tinman. I would experiment a little more to see if moving the lip up some will get the action you are after. Better to start with that than have to try and tune every plug to get that action. While bending the wire up will work it can be bent down while fighting a fish. Then you'll end up having to try and tune the plug while fishing a blitz :smash:

Jigman

Diggin Jiggin
01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Tinman, I'm not sure what lip it is, but I picked it up from njtackle at the msba show last year. :) I'll include a picture of it next to some danny 2's that I got from you last month, maybe you can tell what it is from the picture.

And you were right on with why I was asking, just trying to avoid the wire bending if possible.

The lip resembles a danny in that it doesn;t flare out like a pikie, but the angle is very different than the danny2 ??

Diamond Tackle
01-09-2005, 05:39 PM
The front left one is an early Lefty style #1, with the 2 holes. I make these now with either a HIGH slot or a MIDDLE slot.
Try the top hole position with the wire, or move the lip slot up on the next blank and you should be just fine.

And you are absolutely right, the Lefty styles are a Hybrid lip between a Pikie and a Danny.

Diggin Jiggin
01-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the education on lips and welcome to S-B, nothing like getting an answer straight from the source!