View Full Version : Squidding

Patrick82
10-28-2001, 03:49 AM
Noticed Anthony_N mentioned squid is in up where you guys are.

Maybe you guys can go over squidding techniques so I can get a whole bunch.

First, do you think squid makes it all the way back here in western sound?

What should I look for when going after squid? What sort of water and what temps should I look for? Other then seeing squid, what signals say that squid are there?

Any other helpful advice?

bloocrab
10-28-2001, 09:20 AM
....I know, but its not easy drawing with a mouse...I'll give you some better pics. when I getz better equipped!!!

..Patrick, squid hit the jig the hardest while it decends..when you notice it stopped sinking when it shoudn't have ( pull up, and stay up......he's ON!! ) ...NO SLACK!! there are no barbs in the hooks, for easier release!!...just hold the jig upsidedown and she will slide right off.....( I've got a killer technique, but I'd have to show you in person :D ..) I've filled totes on the right nights! [yeah, thats a chitload of squid!!]

tip#1...use lanterns or some sort of light hung close to the water ( they LOVE it! ) works like chum...:)

tip#2...the best time to get em' is during mating season...I've been told they chase the jig more, due to passion ;) ..yep,they think theys gonna get lucky...

tip#3...when they're finicky...jig as fast as possible, with the minimum amount of movement?...meaning jig within an area of two inches as fast as you can for three seconds..draws their attention..( they are very curious creatures )...then commence your normal jiggin'

...as far as what you should look for....

1: When the Asians are lined up like guys at a Urinal!!! ( no pun, but they seem to love em' more than fish!!)

2: When the blues are pukem' up, six at a time...

3: When theres ink all over the Causeway!!! :cool:

4: When the water is glowing like some one poured flourescent paint in it...you'll see a whole area glowing....[ its freaky, and so are all the fish workin em'...:D ]

...In all seriousness...where I do my fishkin, they're in heavy at 2 times....beginn' of season and end of season...April/May....Sept/Oct....usually when the macks show up

..now as far as your area....???????:confused:

pssssst....I really think they're from outer space....ya ever see em' in the water??? they almost look intelligent!! :eek:

AnthonyN
10-28-2001, 06:23 PM
I have talked to some asians down the goat island causeway and they travel as far as NJ just to catch squid up here. So i dont think there are squid down there and if there is squid down there maybe they dont taste as good as the ones up here. Personally as far as catching them i use a cheap Jeros tackle jig on the bottom and a pink ultra yo-zuri jig up top. The cheapjig gives added weight to get down further and also lessens the chance that your good jig will get stuck. I usually lift the pole and dance the jig on the surface for 10 seconds than let it decend then when i pull back up on the rod the squid might be there you will feel the weight. BEWARE of squid ink they will squirt you if your not careful beside my wife hates when i come home full of squid ink its not easy to remove. Also bring some rope and a coleman propane lantern as it attracts squid. one other way to catch them is to snag them with tremble hooks but it only works in large schools and if you can see them on the surface. just run abour 4 trembles on your line spaced apart about six inches and than happy snagging.