View Full Version : Guides, finish coats and met. threads

Finesse 23
01-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Rod building Guru's .... Three or four questions ….

1. Fuji Casting guides … I’m looking to use the Concept (Alconite) guides for a casting rod 7’ 12-25 lb fast Lami blank . The guides I went for, BLNAG, start at 16… I wanted to start at least at 20 ….so would the BMNAG guides suffice ???
I guess what I am asking is what is the difference between them BMNAG and BLNAG ?? I plan to use the BMNAG’s for a boat spinner.

2. BNLG , BNLGH, BHNLG Hardloy guides What goes here ?? the later two are heavier duty but in what ..the frame , ring or both ?

3. Whats the word on AFTCOTE finish ??? Just looking to try something different over Flex Coat… Building a bunch of rods ..a couple 50lb IGFA troll, some 20 LB IGFA troll…and several casting and spinning for some friends so I want to hear likes dislikes !!! I need to buy new , so I was thinking of the other products available

4. Metallic Holographic threads … anyone using ..and how do you like the results ….again looking for something different ….Metallic unders and NCP/Reg overs is getting dull

fishaholic18
01-11-2005, 02:57 AM
I've used AFTCOTE finish on a bunch of rods, takes a little getting used to, but holds up well. Spin drying it sloooow, has worked well for me.

Which reel are you planning on using, will help on determining stripper guide size.

I use BNLG guides with an alconite tip and haven't had any problems.

Billy 40
01-11-2005, 08:22 AM
First, here's how to understand what the Fuji guide code means: http://www.visualwrap.com/cgibin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=12;action=display;num=1050441514

1.what is the difference between them BMNAG and BLNAG ?? THe MN's are heavier. What blank are you building on, and how hard are you on your tackle? The last rod I wrapped was a Calstar 800L, which I used Titanium guides on, buthere are no Titanium MN's, only LN's. What I had to do is use the LN's for teh smaller guides, and ICMNSG's for the stripper (20) & the tip top. Ther is nothing wrong with doing that at all.
2. BNLG , BNLGH, BHNLG Hardloy guides What goes here ?? the later two are heavier duty but in what ..the frame , ring or both ? See the above link. The BNLG & the BNLGH has the same frame, bt the H has a thicker ring. The BHNLG has a heavier ring & a heavier frame.
3. Whats the word on AFTCOTE finish ??? Good stuff, but it takes a long time to set up. It finishes Rubbery hard, which gives it excellent flexibility properties. I was using it on all my guide wraps last year, before I switched to Glass Coat because of the timeit took to set up. I was wrapping rods a day or 2 before I needed them to go fishing. I actually preferred Aftcote, but I think I'm going to be sticking to GC now, as it has done a good job itself resisting cracking on my personal rods.
4. Metallic Holographic threads … anyone using ..and how do you like the results ….
It's a pain in the a$$ to use for underwraps. YOu have to be very carefulwith it as it will not lay flat against the previous turn of thread like Nylon/NCP does. I like how it looks, but used in Moderation. I have used it for underwraps on 3 rods, but those were "old" & I've changed my likes/dislikes since. Try it yourself, and see if you like how it looks.

Finesse 23
01-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Fish and Billy …Thanks !!!

Those guides are for a Lami GLB 841M 12-25lb blank with a Calcutta 400 maybe 15-17lb mono …. I believe the factory rods from Lami uses the Alconites (well from what I saw poking around the Lami website). I like the alconite rings …these rods are for myself… so I figured I would try something different than the hardloy’s. But reading through catalogs is always fun trying to figure out what you need or what is what. I also like the flashier finish of the frame (black chrome). BMNAG , I think, will work fine

Billy thanks for that link ….I’ll have to look that over some more
I’m curious about the Aftcote now …Just how long is the cure time for it??
I don’t know if I should mess with that on rods I’m making for others…. thanks for the info on GC …maybe I’ll look into that …
I was looking at a 50 lb trolling set up I built about 15-17 years ago …. And its held up well with the Flex Coat …but there is some yellowing starting to show

That holo thread ….Right now I’m just thinking to add a little flash to butt wraps and such … maybe even that braided stuff that’s 1/8” wide …. I’ve seen a blank with the holo as an underwrap …and I’m not sure if I want that much hologram

EDIT: Well ...you cant see the yellowing in the picture ...maybe I can get one closer

fishaholic18
01-11-2005, 07:36 PM
I found that if mixed exactly 1:1, and drying box temp. at 85, Aftcote sets up pretty quickly. If mix is not exact, I find that it will almost never harden.

Billy 40
01-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Aftcote at 85 degrees will set up in about 5 or 6 hours, but it will take a lot longer to cure. I have a test sample of Aftcote, not he Production version, which I understand sets up a little harder. I have rods done for 1 1/2 years with Aftcote where you can still put a fingernail dent in it - but it will go away. I really do like this feature, there is NO other epoxy, except for Crystal Coat that is this "rubbery" when cured.

Flex Coat yellow, we all know that. So does everything else over time, regardless of what anyone says.FC is by far the most popular finish, and does a good job. Me personally, I never tried FC because of the negatives I see on other people's rods. I personally feel there are better epoxies out there, and as a result I went and bought almost all of them (haven't tried LS High Build) and used them at least once before settling on the one I like. Everyone has their own likes & dislikes, if there is something "Wrong" with the epoxy you are using, try something else.

THe Alconites kick Hardaloy's ass. Straight out. If you are building a rod with HArdaloy's...I honestly cannot understand why. The major draw to Alconites for me is that teh frame is made out of a higher grade of steel than HArdaloy's (the same used on the SIC guides). They are lighter, more corrosion resistant & sexier than HArdaloy's. lol. THey cost more, but not by that much.

bud8fan
01-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Billy 40

THe Alconites kick Hardaloy's ass. Straight out. If you are building a rod with HArdaloy's...I honestly cannot understand why. The major draw to Alconites for me is that teh frame is made out of a higher grade of steel than HArdaloy's (the same used on the SIC guides). They are lighter, more corrosion resistant & sexier than HArdaloy's. lol. THey cost more, but not by that much.

Billy definitely builds a "SEXY" rod!!!

Billy turned me on to the Alconites a while back and while I have only built one rod with them so far I definitely like them.

I only wish they would make a 50mm!!!!!!

As far as the Aftcote goes. Everything Dave and Billy said I totally agree with. If your someone who takes their time applying the finish you wont get caught with the brush stuck to your guidewraps like with other finishes!!!

Finesse 23
01-12-2005, 12:38 AM
Yeah those guides are just on another level .... Like Billy said a bit more money ...but they give the rod that flair ... no your run of the mill off the rack stuff.....Thanks guys

I have to think this epoxy thing thru ... any other brands you guys like ??

Bud ..how are you ??

Billy 40
01-12-2005, 07:23 AM
I've tried AMTAK Hi & Lo, and it seemed like the same as FC.
Pac Bay Rodsmith - this was actually pretty good, easy to work with, very clear - I would use this if it weren't that I like GC & Aftcote.
LS Supreme - Another one which has a very long Pot Life, it's easy to work with and dries clear. Allegedly it resists Yellowing better than teh rest, but I just have a hard time with tht. THE HArdener also has a shel f life of less than a year if not kept in a cool environment (REfrigerator). IT will turn Urine, Amber, then brown if notstored properly (the HArdener), but if mixed & applied on a rod it will not turn. Some love it, some HATE it, I'm in teh second catergory.
LS SUpreme Hiigh Build - I hear this stuff is AWESOME for covering a wrap in one shot. I personally haven't tried it, but if I get a free sample of it in Charlotte, I will, lol.
Classic Coat - this used to be my favorite epoxy, until al my rods cracked with it, and some cracked pretty bad.
Crsytal Coat - Clemens. The thinnest along with PErmaglos, youll need at least 5 coats to build up on a rod. IT is Amber colored, and it gives off some nasty fumes. I used to use it for teh first coat to penetrate teh threads and form a "bond" with the blank.

Keep in mind - the LS products DO NOT like heat applied to it, that causes it to burn & bubble up. I use Propane on all my finish (inluding LS), but havent' had a problem. But keep that warning in mind. Crystal Coat will go up in flames if you apply hea, it's so watery thin there is no need for heat anyhow.

Finesse 23
01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Billy thanks for the review :kewl:

The thing about that aftcote that bugs me is that it is soft enough to leave an imprint in .. I would think that would lend itself to "clouding" when wet (even though they say otherwise)??

One of the guys I'm building for asked about "moosegrips" .... I kinda looked at him funny ...talked to my tackle shop/rod part guy and they said it was just a brand name using EVA .... Is there something special about these grips ?? I mean I go in, I find the grips I want, and I buy them ..... then I find out there are different "brands" ???...Cork, hypalon and eva ...that’s all I need to know !!

Billy 40
01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Too many questions, sheesh. SOmeone else gotta know the answers in here besides me? lol.

The fingernail imprint goes away. I haven't experianced cloudyness one bit, nor have I heard of any problems with Aftcote clouding up. Don' t let that deter you.

EVA = there are different grades, and within each grade & product it can vary. For the most part, IMO - Customgrip from Clemens has the best EVA. It's firmer and denser than the others, no question. Pac Bay has very good foam as well, I purchase this from Angler's Workshop and it's called Sof Touch. most of the EVA I use is from here, and it is pretty consistant. Mooseskin I purshased from Mudhole a while back, and I believe from MErrick recently. At first I felt it was too soft, I could squeeze it and the indntation would stay for a while before it would go back to normal. Inever ut it on my rod. THe stuff from Merrick is actually very similar or the same as Pac Bay, just shaped differently. I wouldn't hesitate to useMooseskin ifit's from MErrick. The colored foam blocks MErrick sells is nothing more than a block of crat Foam. I've been using more and more of this since it comes in a ton of colors & I can do inlays & trim with atching colors to teh guide wrap. Some it if is very hard, but not dense, and it's probably teh worst when it comes to durability. I have 2 rods with it on it, one mine, one my friend, and to be honest it's not better or worse than the other EVA grps I've used, so far.

THat's all IMO. I haven't had a problem with any EVA grips so far. THere are differences, but nobody will really notice. So, I would recommend using the Mooseskin if that's what you have aailable to you - even moreso if you can feel it prior to purchasing from a shop & pick & choose.

Finesse 23
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
I buy my stuff from a couple of local shops down here ... so over the years I've never strayed from what they offered .... after all they do it for a living .... so I figured if its good for their customers its good for me :D

I have no idea who supplies their EVA ...but when I heard "moose skin" ...it intrigued me (good marketing I guess) ...Much the same for the Flex coat ....

So ... I guess I gotta see for myself with those grips .... I'll give that aftcote a go also !!

Thanks man !!!